Trip To China

terrier123

In the New Year I hope to take a trip to China with my Thai wife. Has any reader recently been to HK, Provincial areas etc? I would be interested in hearing about visas, good tour groups, transport, language problems, street food, hotel standards and general cost of living and/or anything untoward you encountered.

Thanks

In the New Year I hope to take a trip to China with my Thai wife. Has any reader recently been to HK, Provincial areas etc? I would be interested in hearing about visas, good tour groups, transport, language problems, street food, hotel standards and general cost of living and/or anything untoward you encountered.

Thanks

Hi namkong789

I think you need to resubmit this post in the South Asia Travel forum since its nothing to do with Isaan.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks

No visa needed for Hong Kong your wife can stay for 1 month no visa , she will need a visa for mainland China .

Thanks

I have traveled many times to HK and once to Shang Hai, and countless times to Taiwan. I found that many people speak English in HK, much fewer in China or Taiwan. I speak adequate Mandarin, so it is not much of a problem for me there. Any tour group or guided tour will be much more expensive than merely doing it on your own. Street food is usually quite good, however beware to some extent, same as here in Thailand. The southerners do eat nearly anything that walks, crawls, swims or flys, "Anything with legs except the table". As for hotels, what they might rate with a few stars I would tend to rate a lot lower, reminded me of USA about 40-50 years ago. Cost of living can be quite low, unless you frequent fancy restaurants and hotels. One thing I did notice in mainland China was the people's attitude; they seem to act and feel superior to me, sort of what I would call a "chip on the shoulder". The people in HK are notorious for being crass and rude, actually most northern Chinese do not even consider the Cantonese speaking southerners to be truly "Chinese". If your Thai wife is dark skinned at all, she should expect to be treated perhaps not as nicely as might happen here. Have a good trip! China and Chinese people are endlessly fascinating and often exasperating as well.