Electric Suplly Assumptions?

I have found a piece of land I like its about 1 km from a main road however a man has also built a house down this dirt track and had 3 phase electric brought up to his property and has paid for the 800 + metres of pylons and cable from the main road. My question is this, can I now also use this supply from the main road and extend it another 200 metres to my land or will he have sole use of it? Cant really see why he will have sole use as if each house brough its own poles etc it would be a nightmare. The poles he has used are not the "mickey mouse" type poles they are BIG concrete ones carrying the 3 cables for 3 phase. I assume he paid for the poles etc but does not own them as the road they go down does not belong to him.

I'd let the electricity supply company deal with this. You make a request for a supply and they'll tell you if you need poles or not.

My understanding of the payments is that they cover part of the installation - the poles poles still belong to the electricity company. Ask at their office they should be able to tell you.

What ever you do, do not ask the neighbour until you have found out for sure.

{edit}

I seem to remember that when we asked about electricity supply for a place we were looking at there where two options - Sole Usage where nobody else can tap into the supply and open usage where the electricity supply company can add other users - There was a significant price difference hence I suspect the latter will be the case, again call by your supply company.

Edited by GuestHouse

Definately check up with the supply company ^^^.

If the poles only have 3 wires on big insulators then it's a 25kV supply (borne out by the 800m length) so if you want to tap in you'll need a transformer which you'll likely have to pay for :o

You'll only be allowed to tap into the high tension wires (indeed 25 KV).

So you'd need to extend 200 meters with the same poles and cables, then cough up for a high tension transformer.

I paid 2 years ago for 150 meters of poles / cables and a 100 KVA transformer (powers a 35 room resort) a tad over 500,000 Baht. This included a big 3 phase electronic electricity meter and a big 3 phase breaker box, the ones with voltage and amp meter on the front.

In your case I'd reckon about halt to 2/3 of my price as will only need a small 10 to 25 KVA transformer.

One big advantage when having your own transformer is that you'll get a TOU (Time Of Use) meter, meaning that on weekdays between 9 AM and 10 PM you pay a tad over 4 Baht/unit (slightly more expensive then a regular meter), but between 10 Pm and 9 AM you'll only pay about 1.4 Baht/unit.

Saturday and Sunday are 24 hours on the low tariff as well!

One big advantage when having your own transformer is that you'll get a TOU (Time Of Use) meter, meaning that on weekdays between 9 AM and 10 PM you pay a tad over 4 Baht/unit (slightly more expensive then a regular meter), but between 10 Pm and 9 AM you'll only pay about 1.4 Baht/unit.

Saturday and Sunday are 24 hours on the low tariff as well!

That is a very useful piece of information, thanks for sharing.