Renewing An Australian Driver Licence From Thailand

Hi :D ,

Gee! Some of us complain about the paperwork here in Thailand, as compared to back home. Have a gawk at this motherload, though :o ,

transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebf7670c394329a/Pdf_driver_licence_general_notice_kit_aug08.pdf (I'm not allowed to post a URL, so you'll have to drop the correct acronyms on the front),

Anyone else renewed their QLD, or any other Aussie state licence while abroad? Any pitfalls which I should be made aware of?

I believe I've gathered together all of my necessary ID documents, etc., to implement the renewal, but I'm worried about whether or not to complete the Medical Certifacte form. From what I can decipher in the application instructions is that this Medical Certificate requirement only applies to applicants who are 75-years old or over. However, I'm only 30, so as I don't fall into the above age bracket I won't be completing the certificate.

I also see that the QLD Transport will only accept payment by cheque or money order from an Aussie affiliated banking institution - have a Banger's recommendation?

Also, there's a bundle of these documents which must be witnessed as 'certified true copies of the originals' and have my signature witnessed on them, too. I guess this process must be done at the OZ consulate in Bangers, right? Any idea of the costs involved?

Cheers

:D

Edited by somchaismith

You don't mention if you are living here or there?

If you are living in Thailand, I understand you are not eligible to renew your Australian license until such time as you are living in Australia again. I wouldn't say that's the gospel, there may be a way to swing it, particularly if you still have an address somehow back home. However, I was unable to renew my firearms license in NSW for that reason and was told I would be unable to renew my driver's license when it expired, unless I was living back in NSW again.

Good luck! Let us know how you go.....

I am in Australia and just renewed my Qld license a few weeks ago, there was the option to pay the fee online without having to go in. Might be worth checking your renewal reminder letter.

I would mate, but the licence has well expired and I don't have a renewal notice. Even checked QT's website and online renewing in my case (being abroad and the licence also being expired), doesn't appear to be an option for me.

Would love to pay by credit card, too! Now I've the hassle of getting a cheque or money order from an Aussie affiliated bank here in Bangers, as I no longer have an Aussie chequing account.

:o

Edited by somchaismith

• 2 weeks later...

well when i went back to sydney last month, my aust license was actually already expired....and well to to solve all the bullshit hassel, i just went into the city (sydney) and got my Thai licenses Translated, it took a day for express services but cost $100 plus. eitherway they just gave my a licenese photocopy of mine translated and can be used throught Australia, and valid for the same amount as your Thai.

great thing is, because Thais only have one level of licenses, you automaticlly get your Blacks! :o

well when i went back to sydney last month, my aust license was actually already expired....and well to to solve all the bullshit hassel, i just went into the city (sydney) and got my Thai licenses Translated, it took a day for express services but cost $100 plus. eitherway they just gave my a licenese photocopy of mine translated and can be used throught Australia, and valid for the same amount as your Thai.

great thing is, because Thais only have one level of licenses, you automaticlly get your Blacks! :o

though the translation place is a govt body place, so head to the RTA and ask them where you can do it.

i tried to call the Australian embassy it seems that they have nothing to do with it and can not help. Thus either like one other member suggested do it online, or if you are going there, i recommend you follow what i did.

hope it helps.

OK, sounds neat mate. I've a QLD HC class licence, need it for my work in AUS. Can you tell me if the same class of Thai licence would be recognized in OZ? I already have a current Thai motorcycle and car licence. Would upgrading to a Thai semi-trailer licence be possible, here in BKK?

You say that, in Thailand, 'you automaticlly get your Blacks', but when this licence expires, we wouldn't be able to transfer it to an OZ licence, would we? From what I've read on Aussie government transport websites, we'd have to start from scratch, i.e., written tests, practical tests and P plates, again, if applicable.

Edited by somchaismith

mate, rather be safe than sorry, apply for a new license over here first get the 5-10years then translated it there,

i have no idea about the bike liceneses though....

you need to be atleast 22years of age to be ledgiable for your blacks, as you have had atleast 5years driving experince!

Hi folks, I have a S.A. license and not so long ago dropped into the motor registry to see what the procedure was. Apparently there is a section in Adelaide that deals with renewals when your overseas. But it's long winded, I have to apply to the special dept, they have to send a special kit, I have to go to the Embassy and get the paperwork with my pix's on the special form notarized then send it back to Adelaide...with the fee. Then they send the new license.

Then the girl said "Why don't you extend it now and avoid the hassle", so I did! Good till 2015. And if by then I have decided to stay in LOS permanently, I'll let it run out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Victorian drivers licence prior to it expiring I went into the Vic Roads web site changed my address to that of Thailand approx 3 weeks later I received the change of address sticker here in the mail and when then renewal time arrived I received the renewal notice here in thailand paid the fee via the internet and all is sweet. Just need to pop into an office when I am back in Aust to have the pic done but licence always current..

I renewed my NSW license back in March this year (living in Japan).

It was easy, downloaded the forms, attached 2 pictures and enclosed my about to expire license. Sent it to someplace in Parkes or Wagga Wagga, can't remember now.

The address for the license MUST be in NSW.

Paid by Visa Card online and new license arrived in 10 days to my Japanese address. Old license with a piece cut out of it came too.

Reneval/replacement from overseas can be done once in lifetime.

Edited by think_too_mut

It was easy, downloaded the forms, attached 2 pictures and enclosed my about to expire license. Sent it to someplace in Parkes or Wagga Wagga, can't remember now.

Paid by Visa Card online and new license arrived in 10 days to my Japanese address. Old license with a piece cut out of it came too.

Interesting think_too_mut, did you have to include any proof of address as well for your Australian address?

Interesting think_too_mut, did you have to include any proof of address as well for your Australian address?

Is not the address already on the license the proof?

They reprinted it on the new license and sent it to my house in Japan.

much easier to jsut do in Australia and 'forget' to tell them that you live o/s

takes half a morning at the various road authorities.

I'll remember that next time. Since I have used up my chance to renew the license from overseas, next time I'll have to travel to Oz.

Have not been there for almost 6 years.

Next time, instead of 10 mins to fill the application, seal the envelope and drop it in mailbox, it will take 2000A$ for air ticket, probably 1 week stay that I will have to pay for, food ...etc. 5000A$, easily.

much easier to jsut do in Australia and 'forget' to tell them that you live o/s

takes half a morning at the various road authorities.

Well, when I did it in NSW, they actually ask me if my address was still the same, I just said yes, thankfully they didn't want to see anything.