Is Thailand Starting To Flirt With Russia?

Oneman

Is Thailand starting to flirt with Russia?

There is a large, glossy, high-style magazine with the name something like "Bangkok City Life".

I saw a copy near the front door of Sunrise Tacos at Asoke, and picked it up to read.

But was startled that it was all in Russian!

The entire magazine, cover to cover, in Russian language.

Near my apartment, there is a huge billboard for Thai Airlines.

Says something like, "Direct flights to Moscow."

About two years ago, I read a small news story -- in The Nation, I think it was -- that H.M. The Queen went to Moscow for something like the 125th anniversary of Thai-Russian relations.

The Queen is rather old to be making such a trip for such a trivial reason.

And that news story did not say anything about any high-ranking Russian official coming to visit Thailand.

Was there some other reason?

Now, today, this news below about Thailand starting to buy to Russian helicopters.

Is there a growing trend here, or just random chance?

Is it something we Western expats should be concerned about?

After all, the Russians are eager to help "maintain order" in other countries around the world.

If Thailand became a little disorderly -- for whatever reason -- would Russians be rolling in here?

Or am I worried about nothing?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Russian Helicopters Win On Price

October 25, 2008: Thailand is buying three new Russian Mi-17 helicopters for about $9 million each, and backing off a $28 million project to refurbish fifteen of its U.S. made Bell 212s (civilian version of the UH-1 "Huey"). Thailand has nearly 200 American made helicopters, but most are over twenty years old, and about half of them are out of action waiting for repairs at any given time.

[snip]

Russia also offers lower rates for training pilots and mechanics.

Edited by Oneman

hahahahahahaha

u r not a Georgian by chance, like John McCain ? :o

u seems to be definitely too paranoid. and may be even... r u a "conspiracy theory nut" ?

perhaps u watch Fox News too much ?

Thailand has had long relations with Russia. one Thai prince was married to russian woman.

as you've mentioned it yourself - Thai-Russian relations are at least 125y.o

If Thailand became a little disorderly -- for whatever reason --

would Russians be rolling in here? Or am I worried about nothing?

no dude! u r absolutely right ! dig yourself a bunker now, and make sure you have enough food !

coz "Russians are coming" ! boooooo !

BTW - I think you should regularly visit this website:

USDOF

u know, just to be in touch with the latest events and stay alert !

say, did you know they gonna remake the Classic movie, due to the latest new threats :

red_dawn.jpg

On July 9, 2008 this story ran in the Hollywood Reporter:

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in," says Ellsworth, who was 11 when the original was released. "As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hel_l out of people again?"

red_dawn_mcdonalds.jpg

Edited by aaaaaa

Now, today, this news below about Thailand starting to buy to Russian helicopters.

Is there a growing trend here, or just random chance?

Is it something we Western expats should be concerned about?

also make sure you regularly check this one :

Homeland Security Advisory System

Current Threat Level

150-hsas.gif

Recommended Activities

* All Americans should continue to be vigilant, take notice of their surroundings, and report suspicious items

or activities to local authorities immediately.

* Everyone should establish an emergency preparedness kit and emergency plan for themselves and their family,

and stay informed about what to do during an emergency.

man, as I see you are already VIGILANT ! :D

and more ! you are very well trained :

you do "take notice of their surroundings"

and you you report "suspicious items or activities" to Thaivisa (have you contacted authorities already ?)

dude, that's very prudent of your ! :o

but as I said - you better prepare yourself ASAP !

so, continue to stay pu and alert ! and don't hesitate to report anything alarming to all us here !

don't forget the main thing : stay AFRAID ! :D

u know - just in case, to be alert and vigilant

don't forget the main thing : stay AFRAID ! :o

u know - just in case, to be alert and vigilant

... and keep paying the taxes, you know that they can spend your hard-earned money wisely, you yourself would only waste it on more important things. :D

If Thailand became a little disorderly -- for whatever reason -- would Russians be rolling in here?

Or am I worried about nothing?

Yep, old man - we WILL roll. and you will hit the dust soon so there is nothing to worry about actually. :o

Thailand has had long relations with Russia. one Thai prince was married to russian woman.

Everyone's "favorite" tennis star Paradorn is married to Miss Universe Natalie Glebova who is Canadian of Russian ethnicity as well. Thai relations with Russia have always been puzzling. They get privileged visa status too..Thais can visit Russia with a visa on arrival which is almost unheard of. It's an annoying process to get a visa to visit Russia for just about everyone else.

Everyone's "favorite" tennis star Paradorn is married to Miss Universe Natalie Glebova who is Canadian of Russian ethnicity as well. Thai relations with Russia have always been puzzling. They get privileged visa status too..Thais can visit Russia with a visa on arrival which is almost unheard of. It's an annoying process to get a visa to visit Russia for just about everyone else.

is this true? link?

is this true? link?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Russians-Visa-t93789.html

Original visa thread. I remember seeing the details for it again fairly recently it's reciprocal. Designed to bring in business investment on both sides. The vast majority of poor Thais aren't going to go to another developing world country to find work (especially not one with a somewhat hostile population to foreigners as Russia) so the terms were easy to agree on.

is this true? link?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Russians-Visa-t93789.html

Original visa thread. I remember seeing the details for it again fairly recently it's reciprocal. Designed to bring in business investment on both sides. The vast majority of poor Thais aren't going to go to another developing world country to find work (especially not one with a somewhat hostile population to foreigners as Russia) so the terms were easy to agree on.

hey wintermute, i saw in the thread that it just said that Thailand and Russia "confirmed their intentions" for the visa rules but i didn't see (or did i miss?) in the thread that the new rule was actually in place.

the only info i can find on a quick google scan is from :

http://visa-centre.ru/pages/eng/invis_polu..._besvis_en.html

which is from 4 months before that original tv post (so it may have changed) but Thailand is/was not on that list.

i'm actually interested as I would like to visit russia in 2009, and if i could use my Thai PP instead of my USA PP, that would ease things considerably.

hahahahahahaha

u r not a Georgian by chance, like John McCain ? :o

u seems to be definitely too paranoid. and may be even... r u a "conspiracy theory nut" ?

perhaps u watch Fox News too much ?

If Thailand became a little disorderly -- for whatever reason --

would Russians be rolling in here? Or am I worried about nothing?

no dude! u r absolutely right ! dig yourself a bunker now, and make sure you have enough food !

coz "Russians are coming" ! boooooo !

BTW - I think you should regularly visit this website:

USDOF

u know, just to be in touch with the latest events and stay alert !

say, did you know they gonna remake the Classic movie, due to the latest new threats :

red_dawn.jpg

On July 9, 2008 this story ran in the Hollywood Reporter:

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in," says Ellsworth, who was 11 when the original was released. "As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hel_l out of people again?"

red_dawn_mcdonalds.jpg

So your not nuts? Dont need to ask where your from dude!

If you keep up on current events you will see Russia is too screwed up to be worried about straightening out some other country. I think there is as much chance of the Thai army invading Russia, as there is of Russia coming here. If there was any other country for Thailand to worry about, I would figure it to more likely be China than Russia, but I would not worry about that either. I really can't see any major power invading Thailand in the forseeable future. What would be the point?

Well I think that any increase in association with Russia is to be regretted.

2 reasons.

1.- Russian mafia who get everywhere and will certainly affect the leisure industry in the long run.

2. - The attitude of the Russian government right now is that of a bully. I dont just think about Georgia but other instances such as turning of the power to the whole of the Ukraine during winter. If you give them an angle then the present administration in Moscow will use it.

Please note that none of this is intended to critiscise normal russian people who it seems to me are getting the same bad deal everyone else is.

1.- Russian mafia who get everywhere and will certainly affect the leisure industry in the long run.

2.- The attitude of the Russian government ... If you give them an angle then the present administration in Moscow will use it.

Thanks, Benjamat, for thoughtful post.

Your post stands out from much nonsense above.

(But the nonsense offers many additions to my "Ignore User" list, so I won't see those posters ever again.)

A contest between Russian Mafia and Thai Mafia would destroy a lot of the charm here.

And, in future, when there is an upset in the order of things, Thailand may be wide open from many angles.

The benefit for Russia could be a base of operations in S.E. Asia, a base that is non-Muslim.

Thailand offers a strategic outpost overlooking the South China Sea, and close to Straits of Malacca, strategic choke point for a huge amount of world cargo shipping.

Does Russia have any other "friends" around here?

None that I know about.

A unit of the Russian ballet was in Bangkok about a year ago -- cultural exchange, of course.

Now I'm watching for "friendly" visits by military units, something like the two Russian bombers that recently made a visit to Venezuela.

Or, maybe, a Russian replacement to the "Cobra Gold" military exercise, after the USA runs out of money and oil, and cancels its sponsorship.

Anyone see any other aspects to Russian interest in Thailand?

- Oneman

The OP clearly hasn't been to Pattaya lately (sensible choice). At least half the visitors there are Russian now.

E&T -

Thanks for that observation.

(And you're right, I haven't, not for some years).

"At least half", eh?

Really?

Even if that is just a rough guess, your observation means there are a lot of Russians there now.

What else do you see related to that?

Any problems specifically Russian?

Or are the Russian tourists just as docile as those sweet UK soccer lads?

Can you make out any future trends?

Or too early to tell?

-- Oneman

You are turning the tables a bit away from your original post Oneman...

Quote: Is there a growing trend here, or just random chance?

Is it something we Western ex-pats should be concerned about?

After all, the Russians are eager to help "maintain order" in other countries around the world.

Or am I worried about nothing? Unquote.

I think that part was the reason for the " nonsense " as you call it. Because it is a nonsense post which for the bigger part will only make sense to American's thinking alike, because you were raised that way. I am NOT bashing here!. This is what I have experienced in all my time working in the states. ( your gov`s invitation) . And I know I am making a generalisation here.

You talk about Russian mafia now, while your original question was if you and other ex-pats had to be `worried` because of the Russian's and them possibly `rolling into` Thailand. To `outsiders` this sounds hilarious.

To try and make more of a point you now take Venezuela into the same " threat, and you talk about a " non Muslim" base the Russian maybe could have here, for `strategic purposes`. Ofcourse that advantage should only be given to the chosen few.

I belong to the other 95% of the earth`s inhabitants and am, as you are, not to keen on other countries `helping maintain order`but I don't mean just Russia. I don't think this needs any further explaining, now does it.

Look at what happens in Pakistan right now, but if the Russians bomb Georgia than we complain, but it is exactly the same shit, no other words for it. But as always another lie is found to justify `western` violence, because that is different violence and people ofcourse don't really bleed, an don't really die .

Did you start a thread about stationing more u.s. troops somewhere in Asia because China was becoming `so strong` too, a while ago?? Or was that someone else. Why is it that whenever something happens like more Russian tourists or China having success in various area`s that one will immediately start thinking in a military way?

Relax, have a nice life in Thailand and don't let a glossy magazine written in Russian or a billboard advertising for Russian tickets let your imagination take you on a doom and gloom journey.

Have a good time in Thailand.

Edited by Carib

2.- The attitude of the Russian government ... If you give them an angle then the present administration in Moscow will use it.

Thanks, Benjamat, for thoughtful post.

Your post stands out from much nonsense above.

(But the nonsense offers many additions to my "Ignore User" list, so I won't see those posters ever again.)

A contest between Russian Mafia and Thai Mafia would destroy a lot of the charm here.

And, in future, when there is an upset in the order of things, Thailand may be wide open from many angles.

The benefit for Russia could be a base of operations in S.E. Asia, a base that is non-Muslim.

Thailand offers a strategic outpost overlooking the South China Sea, and close to Straits of Malacca, strategic choke point for a huge amount of world cargo shipping.

Does Russia have any other "friends" around here?

None that I know about.

A unit of the Russian ballet was in Bangkok about a year ago -- cultural exchange, of course.

Now I'm watching for "friendly" visits by military units, something like the two Russian bombers that recently made a visit to Venezuela.

Or, maybe, a Russian replacement to the "Cobra Gold" military exercise, after the USA runs out of money and oil, and cancels its sponsorship.

Anyone see any other aspects to Russian interest in Thailand?

- Oneman

The world doesn't operate like a Tom Clancy novel. Sorry to disappoint you.

1. The Russian government is flexing its political (and military) muscle after basically disappearing from the scene after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Putin has been aggressive to the point of belligerence. But he is extremely popular in Russian, where they like his “macho” style. Many Russians look back on history and feel that they, as a people, need strong, almost dictatorial leaders in order for them to be successful and to take their destined place in the world.

2. Many of the Russian mafias have been using Thailand as a safe haven and a place to launder their ill-gotten gains out of reach of the Russian authorities. But just as Las Vegas morphed from a mob-controlled gambling den into a prime general entertainment destination, Thailand has morphed into a prime destination for “regular” Russians who just want a vacation.

3. While much of the rest of the world’s economies are in dire straights, the Russian economy is not that bad. Russia is blessed with huge amounts of natural resources, and as they move from communism to capitalism, their economic might is impressive. So Russians have money, and they are spending it.

4. Russia is cold in the winter. Thailand is not. Russians like to go to the sun, and Solchi is really not that warm in the winter. Africa is looked down upon as a continent and as a destination. Non-Muslim Russians look with a degree of wariness upon Muslim nations. So Thailand is a natural destination for run-in-the-sun.

5. The Russians tend to gravitate to brand names and to displays of wealth or success. They also tend to embrace the ‘flavor-of-the-month.” Thailand it the flavor-of-the-month. Owning a condo in Thailand is a trendy display of success in Russia now. I read one newspaper that 50% of the condos being sold in the Pattaya area now are being bought by Russians.

Couple all of these together: the government’s desire for more influence on the world stage, the desirability of travel to Thailand, the weather, the foothold gained by the mafias, etc., well it is not surprising that there are more and more Russians here. And it is not surprising that more Thais offer Russians all the trappings of home to make them feel comfortable and to enjoy their stays. (Have you ever been to Waikiki? Most of the signs are also in Japanese and Chinese, and restaurants offer breakfast in the late afternoon (when it is morning in Japan) and dinner in the late evening.) A military invasion? Not hardly! But more economic and political interaction? Certainly, that seems likely.

Edited by bonobo

Could it be something to do with Thaksin opening up a travel agency in Moscow to promote tourism and easy visas to Thailand??

I think it was a reciprocal agreement between respective kleptocracys? :o Money Laundering Adventure Park & Spa resort.

I just got off the phone with a Russian in Russia on another topic, and after we concluded our business, I mentioned this thread.  She agreed with what I wrote earlier, and she added that the same thing is happening with Russians in Cyprus.

1. The Russian government is flexing its political (and military) muscle after basically disappearing from the scene after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Putin has been aggressive to the point of belligerence. But he is extremely popular in Russian, where they like his “macho” style. Many Russians look back on history and feel that they, as a people, need strong, almost dictatorial leaders in order for them to be successful and to take their destined place in the world.

2. Many of the Russian mafias have been using Thailand as a safe haven and a place to launder their ill-gotten gains out of reach of the Russian authorities. But just as Las Vegas morphed from a mob-controlled gambling den into a prime general entertainment destination, Thailand has morphed into a prime destination for “regular” Russians who just want a vacation.

3. While much of the rest of the world’s economies are in dire straights, the Russian economy is not that bad. Russia is blessed with huge amounts of natural resources, and as they move from communism to capitalism, their economic might is impressive. So Russians have money, and they are spending it.

4. Russia is cold in the winter. Thailand is not. Russians like to go to the sun, and Solchi is really not that warm in the winter. Africa is looked down upon as a continent and as a destination. Non-Muslim Russians look with a degree of wariness upon Muslim nations. So Thailand is a natural destination for run-in-the-sun.

5. The Russians tend to gravitate to brand names and to displays of wealth or success. They also tend to embrace the ‘flavor-of-the-month.” Thailand it the flavor-of-the-month. Owning a condo in Thailand is a trendy display of success in Russia now. I read one newspaper that 50% of the condos being sold in the Pattaya area now are being bought by Russians.

Couple all of these together: the government’s desire for more influence on the world stage, the desirability of travel to Thailand, the weather, the foothold gained by the mafias, etc., well it is not surprising that there are more and more Russians here. And it is not surprising that more Thais offer Russians all the trappings of home to make them feel comfortable and to enjoy their stays. (Have you ever been to Waikiki? Most of the signs are also in Japanese and Chinese, and restaurants offer breakfast in the late afternoon (when it is morning in Japan) and dinner in the late evening.) A military invasion? Not hardly! But more economic and political interaction? Certainly, that seems likely.

The condo part above is partially true - in fact it is one Russian who is buying everything.