Elc Preschool

StrongView

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with the City School of the Early Learning Center was very positive. I'm a big fan of the Reggio Emelia inpired approach they use. The teachers were some of the hardest working andmost caring teachers I've ever met.

The facilities and resources speak for themselves. I'm sure you've taken the tour. If you haven't - do it soon.

The only thing I was worried about was how children would make the transition to the larger much more impersonal premium international schools.

I think the the more open-ended project based style of learning they do there has the best benefit for young learners. Other parents may enjoy the more academic memorize and drill style of learning that other schools offer. Of course no school is perfect and most school have a little of each type.

Regardless, I think it's a good school.

chuckacinco

Hi, I'm looking for other forum members that have any experience with the ELC preschool chain in Bangkok and the Bangkok area. Do you like it, hate it? Any feedback is very helpful. Thanks!

From BKK pre-school to a full blown International school in Japan - the experience was - in BKK you can get more than you pay for. Until it comes to international schools.

Then, they are mostly equal. Great education, great teachers. BKK or Japan, same.

The price: about 5000B (five thousand) per day. 180 days of teaching, that's how they operate.

When my daughter was born, I was 45. I can't waste her life with cut-corners education.

Bt5000 a day ! I know it comes to 900k but it sounds like shome mishtake surely (not) :o

Must be a heck of a profit in teaching at those levels of fee income (not in Japan but in Thailand).

25,000US$ a year for 180 days of teaching works out 139 US$ per day...which is...what in THB?

There are probably another 15 non-teaching days atop of that (sports day, field day, parents and teachers meetings).

The prices in Thailand are not that much different (as one would expect) than in Japan when it comes to international schools.

I would expect prices to be much cheaper in Thailand than Japan. I cannot think of one cost which could be as expensive as the contemporary item in Japan. Thus, if fees are similar, then someone in Thailand is lining their pockets.

Why would the prices be much different? Other than lower gardening and upkeep cost that are cheaper in Thailand, other things are equal. Teachers get same salary (as other expats, they may be even more compensated for the inconvenience of living in a 3rd world country), materials and tools are the same.

International School Fees (Academic Year 2007-2008) Baht / US$

Bangkok Patana School Bang Na

(www.patana.ac.th)

Entrance fee 200,000 / 6,134.97

Capital assessment certificate (refundable) 400,000 / 12,269.94

Tuition Year 3-6 419,490 / 12,867.79

Transportation fee 56,000 / 1,717.79

Look, it's even more in BKK than in Japan: first year is over 1 million baht! Over 32,000US$. In Japan is less than that.

Don't know what that "refundable" thing is, I guess you get it back pro-rata if your kid leaves school at some point in the year. For example, Citibank recalling their staff from foreign posts these days will reflct on International schools attndance worldwide.

I won't labour the point but having lived in both Japan and Thailand I think I'm somewhat qualified to comment. Further, my ex wife was a lecturer at Tokyo and Kyoritsu universities.

Do you think land and buildings in Thailand cost the same as Japan ?

Do you really think total remuneration costs are equal, not just base salary ?

I've bought books and things in both countries and Japan is way more expensive.

I know it matters little but whilst I can see arguments for high fees in Japan (and elsewhere), charging the same in Thailand comes across to me as the owners charging what other countries charge and not basing fees on the costs of providing the same service in Thailand. To the company paying, it matters little whether little Jonny goes to school in one country or another. To the individual, I would expect it in Japan but cannot make the maths work here.

I'll end it there. That your child is getting a good education is far more important.

One remarkable thing with current international school is - NO homework.

In BKK, her former school (Jindapong, non-international but with some English teaching) was loading her every day and a truckload for long school holiday.

Why is that? A reminiscent of Thai rote-learning school system and torturing kids with lots of after-school obligations?

The teachers themselves do not know of better - they had been educated that way too.

Japan is similar to that. My colleague who returned from US after 4 years there has a son who attended US public school for 3 years and could not adapt to Japanese public school. He is now bleeding money for International school, not to leave him become a dropout or worse.

That's the concensus among the people I spoke with - once International school, no way back to public unless it is in the US, UK, Oz...

The other way round, from local (in non-English speaking countries) to Internatioinal is easy.

• 2 years later...

I thought i would revive this thread since im considering sending my kids to ELC....but the fees are high 500,000 thai baht per year ++ for a 5 year old!

Anyone here send their kids to ELC? Is it worth it?

I have lived in Thailand since 1989. I have taught in a variety of schools - International and otherwise. Whoever can come up with a Consumer Reports style unbiased review system of the schools here in Thailand would make a fortune. I haven't seen a review of this sort, if there is one please let me know. Parents need something like this.

I am frequently asked by parents exactly the kind of question that any reasonable parent would ask, “Is this school worth the money?”

The answer varies. I have seen brilliant children thrive in some of the most awful looking schools. Likewise, I've seen students languish through inattention and basic incompetence at some of the schools with the shiniest brochures. What can a parent do? How can a caring parent decide.

At the expensive schools, and I teach at a very expensive school, for some parents money is no object as the companies pay for the education. I that's the case, go for it and spend large. The facilities will be clean, high-end and almost without exception, the teachers will be have solid academic credentials behind their excellent professional teaching practice.

On the other hand, the cheaper schools, Thai or Bilingual, can also offer a good education as a very highly qualified local teacher doesn't come near the price of a similarly qualified Western teacher. It's not fair but that's the way it is. There is nothing wrong with having your child enjoy the benefit of a mostly Thai education. That would be an amazing experience and a few enlightened parents consider this a real advantage to living in Thailand.

When you get to the core of it, it must come down to what you, the parent, feels is important. Do you honestly believe that drilling and rote so that a child can write their own name and perform other types of tasks at an incredibly early age to be the springboard of greatness? Look at the brochures. This academic rigor is full on advertised. Do you believe in the creative approach, the ELC style of project based child centered inquiry? Do you believe in the plain kind of school that is the conventional sort? Class size an issue? Top rate books and other material? Would you like your child to have a unique educational experience? What kind of friends do you want your child to meet at school? And on and on. Brainstorm a list of what you think is important. That should help.

There you go. Everything has it's price. A walking tour of the school will also give you some good information. Look at the physical facilities. Look at the student work displayed on the walls. Look at the teachers. That is a lot of evidence in itself. Then comes the hard part. Get up the nerve to approach the parents waiting to pick up their children. Talk to several of them. Believe me, parents have a frighteningly extensive knowledge of their child's school. Every parent I've met would like nothing better than to tell you about the school their child attends.

If you do all of the things I've suggested. That is figure out what you think is important, take the tour, and ask the parents, the decision will be right in front of you. Put in the same level of effort in planning your child's education as you would for anything that you might consider equally important.

The primary role of a school, really, is that the children are safe and feel cared for. Everything else is gravy.

Now, about ELC. I have since moved on to another school but I loved my experience teaching at ELC. I was there for several years. There is nothing else like it. Other schools can only pretend to be what this school is. In my opinion, and I don't get a commission believe me, this is a great start to an excellent lifetime educational process. I also might suggest one of the IB based schools but for early years, ELC is amazing. My suggestion – ELC to their Year 4 then off to an IB based school.

If this isn't financially possible, I promise your child will still be fine. Put in the research and make your choice. You seem to have come out okay. I would trust your judgement.

My Two Cents

Chuckacinco