Bringing A Handgun Into Thailand From Usa

John13

He has a family and 4 kids.

4 more reasons not to have a gun in the house.

A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

Having lived and worked in one of the most violent cities in the world and carried a concealed firearm for all those years, with all due respect you are talking through your ar*e, a gun in the house is not a good thing and most certainly not with kids around.

I just wish our colonial cousins would give their John Wayne, Rambo attitudes at rest, there is no wild west, buffalo bill etc anymore

Having a concealed weapon or weapon in the house does not make things safer, all it does is it provides a false sense of security rather put in security system, get a big dog, a base ball bat under the bed....

As to the poster who stated "The US has the gunlaw for the whole reason of (in word at least) to prevent tyranny".....you may have missed the boat on that one....you already have tyranny...GWB and the patriot act, you just dont know its happened you.

OP has disappeared, looks like more of a troll than anything.

Shot my fair share of foxes, rabbits and fence posts growing up, would not entertain having a gun in my house in Thailand, not if we don't want it turning into a mini version of the grand old gun toting US of A that the OP and his friend plan. If he gets a gun I hope it blows up in his face.

Agree with Carlb, 4 kids in the house, a very very good reason not to have a gun.

1 gun in the hand of at theif, and he leaves with your wallet, 2 guns, one in your hand, one in his, whose gonna die........ the one ready to use it coz he is on hostile territory, up on drugs and primed, NOT the house owner who's just come out of a deep slumber.

Better with the dog! Even little toy poodles yap and howl so much a theif would think twice about entering the building.

Guns are not the solution!

Gung hoo shit.

Got pissed off after reading the first page at least some people have some sanity.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spoke with my gf about this. I told her when we retired in Thailand and live in the province, I asked her to buy a pump action shotgun. She said that she doesn't know how to shoot a gun (I'll teach her when she moves to the US later next year).

Pump action shotgun is the way to go. If someone is breaking into your house, all you have to do is rack the slide :D and the burglar will most like go away. it's a very distinct/universal sound (i.e. oh shi*...maybe I don't want to go in there :o ).

I woke up about 3 a.m. one morning to the sounds of two guys nearly beating to death a poor bloke on my front lawn. The police had never responded sooner than 45 minutes to an hour to previous calls for help. I made the useless phone call, but when the sounds of the beaten one began to sound desperate (like strangulation), I did exactly as suggested above (weapon not even loaded). The attackers ran off and I was able to give first aid until the authorities arrived (90 minutes later).

One life saved, I believe. How much more relieved I might have been had the attacker been inside my house, attacking a family member.

The argument is pretty strong both ways.

With a dog in the house the guy would likely have been unharmed.

But then the Rotties could chew on your 2 year old (rem the post a few months ago??)

How about having a sound file set on the desk top of your PC blaring out the speakers of that pump shotgun being ready for action? No gun, no dogs, and the sound effect drives away the intruder...... I say, whack him in the knee caps with a solid maple (or is it Ash) baseball bat. Then when he's down give em a few more cracks over the skull. (Of course then there's the 'old nine iron' method)

Two pervasive points of view are evident in this discussion. Answer force with force, or answer force with pacifism?

The aggressors of two world wars and the late Ronald Regan standing up to the old Soviet Union (thus helping to bring an end to the cold war) are lessons of history which help me to answer that question.

You are quite right, Reagan outspent the Soviet Union and managed to finish the cold war without any real force indeed. Good point.

And we've had a period of no world wars since 1945 which is a pretty decent run, all thanks to people not shooting eachother too much (supposedly).

Anyhow, seems clear that we all agree the sound of a shotgun loading is enough to scare off people.

I am going to propose to everyone that as a public service we create some MP3s of loading up guns and then people just play that over their sound systems or home theatre or whatever, and this will save the cost of ammunition as well as preventing the all out gun wars that American slums and gatherings seem to be playing with around places like Crenshaw Boulevard, various high schools, universities etc.

Foreigners are not allowed to have fire weapons, it's the law.

I agree with all who say there's no need to own a gun but if we want a gun, as foreigners, why should we not be allowed to have one?

Are we more dangerous/spontaneous/erratic/irresponsible/'jai lorn' with fire-arms than the Thai guy next door for example??...

Utterly ridiculous!

I know a Thai guy who lives near me who owns a gun to shoot the snakes when they eat his cats, isn't that a great reason to be allowed to own one, can you imagine a foreigner owning a gun for that purpose??

GUNS SHMUNS

I note that the lack of gun ownership in the UK has completely brought burglary to a halt?

I also note that recently your next move will be to outlaw knives.

Seems that the former Colonial Masters have solved all problems!

I agree with all who say there's no need to own a gun but if we want a gun, as foreigners, why should we not be allowed to have one?

The operative word there is foreigner...We are all in Thailand in one shape or form as perpectual "tourists" or "temporary" workers, etc without a specific "defined" legal status in Thailand. So suppose people were living in the in the same set of circumstances in the US, would a foreigner be allowed to legally own a firearm in the US ?...I may be wrong, but dont think so...

Suppose the next step in this argument would be.... Suppose you got your PR in Thailand, could you then legally purchase and own a firearm in Thailand, or is this reserved for citizens only ?

The operative word there is foreigner...We are all in Thailand in one shape or form as perpectual "tourists" or "temporary" workers, etc without a specific "defined" legal status in Thailand. So suppose people were living in the in the same set of circumstances in the US, would a foreigner be allowed to legally own a firearm in the US ?...I may be wrong, but dont think so...

Suppose the next step in this argument would be.... Suppose you got your PR in Thailand, could you then legally purchase and own a firearm in Thailand, or is this reserved for citizens only ?

Point taken, I'm just an angry and repressed falang :o , anyhow, are people working but not offically residents of the US able to own firearms? And, once we are permantent residents(PR) of this country, are we allowed to own firearms?

The laws in the US vary from State to State and city to city, but citizenship is not a requirement to own a gun. In some areas there is a waiting period and there is some paperwork to determine if you have a criminal background, but citizenship isn't a requirement.

The big problem with foreigners owning a gun in the US is that I want to wish you the best of luck trying to take that back on the airplane with you!

I understand everyone's position.  When children are in the house, you need to keep it secure and need to educate them.  BUT some kids (because they are kids) will not get it and extra precautions should be taken.

Yes, I would get bullets.  

I would hope the sound would make them go away (like in the example above), but if not, I would use it to protect my family.  Understand, I hope that it would never be used, but if push comes to shove, better them than me and my family.  I'm not a hot head.  I understand the responsibilities of gun ownership and gun safety.  I currently work in law enforcement and am a former firearms instructor.

I wish we lived in a world that wasn't violent, but that's not the case, so better be prepared for the worse and not have it happen than to have the worse happen to you and your family and not be prepared.

I do respect the opinions of those who do not want to have a gun in their home.  We all have to be true to ourselves.  

The laws in the US vary from State to State and city to city, but citizenship is not a requirement to own a gun. In some areas there is a waiting period and there is some paperwork to determine if you have a criminal background, but citizenship isn't a requirement.

The big problem with foreigners owning a gun in the US is that I want to wish you the best of luck trying to take that back on the airplane with you!

So based on the above, I could go the US on say a 3 month or 6 month tourist visa, get a criminal check done, comply with the waiting period and purchase a firearm ?? a the end of my 3 or 6 month stay sell the firearm, and leave the country ??...

Citizenship may not be required but surely you have to have some legal status....ie a green card etc if not a citizen ??

Instead he should invest in a big dog, burgular alarm, baseball bat or even a pet goose (Seriously, they are noisier than any guard dog)

The pet goose is a proven deterent to intruders.

And lets face it if it proves to be unsuccesful you can always shoot the fckr ! :o

I understand everyone's position. When children are in the house, you need to keep it secure and need to educate them. BUT some kids (because they are kids) will not get it and extra precautions should be taken.

And there-in lies one of the fundemental problems of owning a firearm for protection in a residence situation with children around.

The purpose of the firearm is to protect yourself, suppose somebody broke into your house at 3:00am, managed to get to your bedroom, where would you need the firearm ?...very close to you ready to be used..yes ?, so where would it be ?...loaded on a bedside table, in a draw in the bedside table, under the mattress ?

If there are kids about, as you have correctly stated extra precautions are needed, which would be what..locking the gun in a gun safe, separating rounds from the fire arm and locking them up separately etc....in both the examples cited, a lot more time is needed to get yourself into a position to be even able to use the firearm, so its not really helping to have a firearm.

All I can say is after spending many years in a country where carrying a concealed firearm was the norm, after spending 7 years in Thailand, I have never felt threatened/endangered enough to even consider the need for a firearm in Thailand.

Edited by Soutpeel

importing a gun requires approval from the police.

i think the reason why guns are so expensive in thailand is due to the enormous taxes levied upon them.

my friend who lives in thailand had many attempted break-in in the middle of the night. he spoke to a police officer and was quoted a price to purchase a handgun, the handgun, a glock he was selling was about three or four times the retail price in the USA. he has a family in thailand and four kids and was concerned. he asked me to check on line for him to see if anyone knows the procedure, or if it is even possible. thank you for any information and i will forward it to him.

my friend who lives in thailand had many attempted break-in in the middle of the night. he spoke to a police officer and was quoted a price to purchase a handgun, the handgun, a glock he was selling was about three or four times the retail price in the USA. he has a family in thailand and four kids and was concerned. he asked me to check on line for him to see if anyone knows the procedure, or if it is even possible. thank you for any information and i will forward it to him.

What is it with you Yanks and guns?

Guesthouse makes a valid point and I agree.

There is enough nutters in America walking about with guns, please dont bring that culture over here.

The culture is already here. Thailand has 11 times more murders with firearms than the USA. The only places with a worse murder rate by firearms than Thailand are South Africa and Colombia.

Then have the area around the house mined.... :D:D:o:D

Our household has a gun but I am not allowed to use it no matter what on account me being a foreigner. Weapon is registered under spouse's name who is Thai and have no criminal record. She is allowed to use it only within our property including boundaries of our land. Taking it out of house or placing in car glove compartment is strictly prohibited. Gun is locked in safe, far away from kids eyes, they have no idea we own it.

I first came to Thailand for a job in which I could have legally carried a handgun here. However, my supervisor advised me not to as though it was legal, having been arranged by US govt., it would be more trouble to carry it than it was worth as every local cop, not being used to farangs with guns, would pull me over and there would ensue a long bureaucratic hassle before it got straightened out. So I never did get the gun and would advise any farang here to do the same. I carried a gun most of my life in the military and law enforcement, and I would at least keep one in the house here if it were not so much hassle, but it is. People here are right when they say if you shot a burglar, you would be in more trouble than if you just got robbed. And as for giving the gun to your wife, that is an iffy solution at best as I am not confident in the ability of most Thai females to hold up well under interrogation by authority figures. I am not sure about the big dog either, as they are really just a weapon with a mind of their own. If you invest in an alarm system, secure locks and windows, and keep a big stick or baseball bat near the bed, that should be enough. And don't advertise your valuable possessions .

As for the comments about gun-crazy America, if you keep up on the crime stats in London you will see they are trying to make various knives illegal, as so many people are getting killed with them. And I have never seen any mass casualties at an American football game, so get off your soapbox. The most heavily armed citizenry in the world is Switzerland, by the way, and they have almost no crime at all.

Gun is locked in safe, far away from kids eyes, they have no idea we own it.

Is one purpose for self-defense? I can picture, as a burglar is breaking down your door, one spouse holds the flashlight while the other one fumbles with the lock-code combination under duress. "Dammit! Passed that number again! Is it 2 left or 3 right?" :o

Surely there must be a more accessible place for emergencies without having to put it under your pillow? On the rafters above the ceiling tiles?

keep that american made shit out of this country and that house i say.

that, and you wouldn't be able to get one in anyway.

Well, technically, a Glock is Austrian-made, not American.

As for having one, I spent 34 years as an active duty and reserve Marine, have seen combat, and have been a successful competitive shooter, so I do feel I know a little bit about weapons. And quite frankly, I would not own one here.  

I have a baseball bat for dire emergencies, but I hope I never have to resort to that.  In the OP's friend's case, I would prefer to just let someone take what they will and then worry about what to do after the perpretator and the kids are no longer in the same place at the same time.

Soutpeel: No you don't need a green card to get a gun, but again it varies from place to place. Most cities have fairly strict guidelines about buying guns--since the most likely victim of a gun attack will be another person, whether guilty or not. In many of the rural areas, gun ownership is the norm and you need identification. A fair number of people travel to the states and go hunting--deer, elk, moose etc. Many of them will buy the gun and then re-sell it when they are done.

There are also different regulations when it comes to smaller handguns, which can be easily concealed and are often used in crimes. You might have a little trouble acquiring one them legally and easily without being at a fixed address.

There is probably some information on gun ownership through the National Rifle Association. They would have the most up-to-date information.

Coincidently, while driving on Phetkasem Road on Saturday, I pulled up in back of a panel truck at a stoplight. One guy was standing on the reap bumper, and a guy inside opened a door and leaned out with a handgun, waving it at the man on the bumper who almost jumped off in alarm.  When the guy with the gun laughed, it became obvious that they both knew each other and the man inside the compartment was fooling around. 

But with cops standing not 10 meters away, I did wonder at Thai gun laws and whether people canlegall y carry around firearms like that.

Personally, I don't care for guns and prefer not own one. I think the solution for most foreigners--especially since so many seem to have enough money to buy/build big homes is to build a Panic Room. Just get in it, close and lock the door behind you--oh, and you might want to have a mobile phone with you as well!

The culture is already here. Thailand has 11 times more murders with firearms than the USA. The only places with a worse murder rate by firearms than Thailand are South Africa and Colombia.

And your source of this info ?

I would agree with you on South African and Columbia, but Thailand has 11 times the murder rate than the US...believe you are talking out you posterior, I remember watching a documentary years ago, which stated since the assination of JKF, there have been 1 million murders in the US, granted they are not all by firearms..

Two things:

1) Found this on the front page of MSN just now:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27393833

2) Found this on the USA Customs website:

"Prior to February 19, 2002, foreigners visiting the United States could bring a gun into the U.S. for hunting and sporting purposes without obtaining a permit from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms (ATF), provided they satisfy the CBP Officers' examination. However, effective February 19, 2002, ATF will enforce a temporary rule that will require foreign visitors entering the U.S. with firearms to obtain a federal permit through ATF in advance of their arrival. This temporary rule is expected to be in effect until a final rule is adopted. The rule also forbids certain foreign visitors, workers and students from buying guns and ammunition in the U.S. The new rule does not apply to diplomats, foreign law enforcement officials and visiting dignitaries designated by the State Department.

You will need to obtain ATF Form 6 NIA from the ATF at www.atf.gov or call (304) 616-4550. You will also be required to obtain a license from any state in the U.S. where you intend to hunt. Also for faster service please fax the permit ATF Form 6 NIA-5330-3D application to 304-616-4554 and it takes about 3-4 weeks to get it back."

A perfect home defense item is a paintball gun (marker). You can keep one at hand relatively easily - totally none lethal but supplies enough pain to incapacitate someone and if you purchase balls loaded with pepper spray then even more stopping power. Also it has a decent range for someone in the grounds of your house - a swift ball in the head would put them off going any further!

Having played a tournament paintball at semi-pro level I have received countless large welts which for most people would put them on the floor in pain - however after getting hit so many times you build a kind of immunity! :o

If you push the boat out and buy an electronic marker - then I can assure a burst of 15 balls per second (all travelling at 300fps) at close range will put down even the most determined - particular if a few went in the face or genital region!

Another bonus for the paintball marker is if you have problems with cats in your garden you'll be suprised just how fast they move when a paintball smacks them up the arse and they don't come back either! :D

As for real guns . .. . I don't think lethal force is the best 1st step for protection!

Coincidently, while driving on Phetkasem Road on Saturday, I pulled up in back of a panel truck at a stoplight. One guy was standing on the reap bumper, and a guy inside opened a door and leaned out with a handgun, waving it at the man on the bumper who almost jumped off in alarm.  When the guy with the gun laughed, it became obvious that they both knew each other and the man inside the compartment was fooling around. 

But with cops standing not 10 meters away, I did wonder at Thai gun laws and whether people canlegall y carry around firearms like that.

Sure they can! TIT and they treat the citizens with more leniancy than some 1st world countries. You need to understand that Thai's consider themselves citizens not civilians or subjects you know :o

if you are smart you teach your kids how to be comfortable around guns and how to respect and love a gun otherwise your shelter kids stumble upon it looking for cum magazines they end up blowing their brains out like a two bit moron

i was expert marksman by my 7th birthday and sawed off my own double barrel shotty by high school