Is Wp. Required For Working On Gf. House

A builder friend requires clarification about if a WP is needed. He is helping to fund rebuilding is girlfriend house and he is employing local builders and he needs to know if he helped by doing some of the work to keep his cost down whether he needed a Work Permit

Most definately a work permit is required. He risks imprisonment and deportation and blacklisting (in that order). It is irrelevent if he is receiving payment for his work or not. That is the Thai Law.

However, that being said..... he would have to be caught first! Largely depends where he is, and if he has any enemies that would have a motive for reporting him. I had problems once when helping to build a school in Hill Tribe country (It was in a very remote area and took 4 hours travel off road in my 4x4 to reach the village!!!) and had it not been for a couple of very "influential" Thai pals my voluntary work could have screwed up my position here in Thailand.

Hope that helps!

A builder friend requires clarification about if a WP is needed. He is helping to fund rebuilding is girlfriend house and he is employing local builders and he needs to know if he helped by doing some of the work to keep his cost down whether he needed a Work Permit

If he is using Thai builders then he will have his hands full just watching they dont f-ck up everthing they touch. He will keep the cost down considerably by just being there.

If a work permit is needed, you would need a work permit for washing your car, cutting your grass, cleaning your windows, doing the washing up, etc etc etc....think about it.....it aint working really is it?

You just stole my excuse for not washing up. Please keep this post away from all my future g/f s.

If a work permit is needed, you would need a work permit for washing your car, cutting your grass, cleaning your windows, doing the washing up, etc etc etc....think about it.....it aint working really is it?

Theoretically yes, you need a work permit for most of those activities.

I remember reading an article about a year ago, where a guy was arrested, changing a flat tyre on his own car in a service station, for not having a work permit. :o

Thanks for the replies so far I can see that it would be advisable to have a WP. but where does the requirement for a WP start is he allowed to cut the grass for his GF his he allowed to do a repair around the house. I live in a rented house should I of needed a WP to repair a leaking pipe on the outside water tap

I know TIT

The definition of labour is very broad. Where does it start? Probably where you are doing labour other than for yourself, suchs as mowing your own lawn. When it is for somebody else, wether you receive any form of payment or not, it is labour in the sense of the labour law.

I remember reading an article about a year ago, where a guy was arrested, changing a flat tyre on his own car in a service station, for not having a work permit. :o

Unless you can cite a reliable source, that really sounds like a Thailand Farang paranoia urban myth.

TH

Working of Aliens Act B.E .2551 definition of work.

"work" means engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit;

All of us probably violate the law everyday.

As far as working on the girlfriens house. It would probaly depend on where its at. If its out in country somewhere probably you won't be bothered. The average Thai probably wouldn't even know it's against the law.

In the middle of the city not a good idea.

I heard some stories like that , but I can't believe in it , it's too much absurd. I don't think that the thais are so paranoid.

I make many homeworks in my wife's house.

The definition of the labour law should be read in its context, it is about working, not fixing your own car. That still would leave a large grey area, as it isn't sure if you can help a friend or a family member. That could be considered work, the more so if it is not helping change a tire of a friends car but extensive work like helping painting a house of the inlaws.

I heard some stories like that , but I can't believe in it , it's too much absurd. I don't think that the thais are so paranoid.

I make many homeworks in my wife's house.

The average Thai,for sure isn't so paranoid.

But T.I.T and the bureaucracy is incredible,watch out! :D