New Aquarium In Chiangmai

john b good

It is located inside the CM Zoo at the end of Huay Gaew Road. We were there last week but it was not open yet, although they were giving media tours. It is a very nice looking building on a small lake up against the mountain. Is it officially open now?

I took my daughter there yesterday.

It is near the Pandas

The official opening for the officials to cut the tape was Sunday the 26th.

We therefore thought that this meant that it was open. As did thousands of other people there that day from many countries. Yes it was very crowded. They wanted to see the largest aquarium tunnel in the world.

I asked around and they said that they had only just finished construction and were only now beginning to fill the tanks with water. After that they needed to put in some coral and fish. He wasn't sure how long it would take to get the water ph balance just right. He said that even though Saturday the 1st is when it is advertised to open, he suggested that there probably would not be that many fish there yet.

ps- the best way to get there is on the tram and not the monorail (to avoid the large hill)

I can feel another Night Surfari coming on :o

More than one million visitors are expected to visit the aquarium each year. The ZPO started building the aquarium four years ago during the rule of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Also expect inflated visitor figures from TAT as they did with the Night Surfari .......

I wonder if they will be supplying emergency Scuba gear for when the water pours in. Sorry to be so cynical, but anything with a Thaksin stamp on it is usually doomed to failure. "nuff said :D

Visitors on Monday take photos of a tank of Aquarium of Chiang Mai whose water filters became dysfunctional in the second day after it was officially opened.//Warattaya Chaiyalanka
The Nation

That's weird. I was there in the morning and they wouldn't let anyone near the place. Perhaps the fiasco had already happened.

..........edit.... Sorry to be so cynical, but anything with a Thaksin stamp on it is usually doomed to failure. "nuff said :D

....well and that is the ugly face of massive corruption and nepotism... because there is a lot of money siphoned off these projects, they are doomed to fail, and they are invented for some people to cash in on them, not for the entertainment, good for the citizen, whose taxes have been spend on the project! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Apparently the Aquarium re-opened yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I heard a rumour that the entrance fees are 250B for Thai adults and 180B for Thai kids while farang pay 450B and 350B respectively. Is this true as well? Disgusting policy, in my opinion!

Kind regards,

Hill16

Bf just called me up asking if i had heard if there was some special promotion on the entrance fee at the moment. He isnt 100% sure though. Thought I would check here as always seems to be someone in the know around here. (Im certainly NOT interested in paying 450 baht :o ! and dont think my bf would be impressed if thats really Thai prices for him and his kids either. Pretty steep. :D )

Edited by eek