House Locations

Have been looking at buying a house, found one at the end of a T Intersection in an estate, some Thai friends made a lot of comments about it not being good, is it really something to worry about?

I noticed the previous owner had put a mirror on the front fence.

Have been looking at buying a house, found one at the end of a T Intersection in an estate, some Thai friends made a lot of comments about it not being good, is it really something to worry about?

I think it's got to do with bad spirits missing the turn and skidding into your house. Fortunately a mirror attached to the fence or on the front wall of the house (or both for extra safety!) will bounce them back.

The location is not good - at the end of T-intersection ......It's believed that........accident(s) waiting to happen.

The cars may not see the house at night, or happen to loose the break and easily slam into your fense - due to the location of it.

Well anyhow ----it's all explained by the "fungShui principles" -and most thais use the principles in everday living, including picking out locations of various places.

Go buy the book about "fungshui", you will understand it all - very simple explaination really

Well anyhow ----it's all explained by the "fungShui principles" -and most thais use the principles in everday living, including picking out locations of various places.

The statement that most Thais use FungShui principles in everyday living is incorrect. Most Thais do nothing of the sort.

be happy that this are your friends but not your wife (like in my case)

• 2 weeks later...
I think the Thais are more influenced about the positioning of the beds

And the alignment of the stars & planets..... :o

And the front of your house facing North as it makes the front of the house much cooler, as the front of your house is generally where most of a household's outdoor activity occurs, the car is parked, people coming in and out, etc. Shade is important in Thailand!

When we were looking for a plot in a moobaan to build a house I found one in a moobaan my wife really liked. It was also at a t-intersection and my wife said she would never live there as it would bring bad luck.

She asked “why would it be that this is about the only one still available here? No Thai will buy this”. So ask your wife, but not in the way some of the posters in this thread would and make her feel stupid.

Up north here many locals would never buy a plot like this.

An economic reason not to buy is that if you ever would like to sell it again it would almost be impossible.

Joop

I bet the mirror on the fence is convex (not concave). Convex mirror is used to disperse bad energy.

As civil/structure engineer and part time builder - I will say DO NOT buy it. You will have a hard time to sell when you need it.

Always think (1) LOCATION, (2) CURB APPEAL (3) LAYOUT (floor plan) OF THE BUILDING.

I have studied fung shui for +/- 12 years. Previous statement about fung shui by hula girl was correct. Think also about the headlight at night or the noise – vehicle accelerate or decelerate.

I used fung shui to find the auspicious lot (plot) and to give a reference point in designing a home lay out (should be designed according to the energy of the head of household - person who make the most money in the family).

There are many recomendations in fung shui but if I can not understand the logic in it, I will not used it.

However, when negotiating the price of the lot, calculating the size of foundation and structural members to resist seismic or wind force, or design of the septic system I DO NOT or WILL NOT USE FUNG SHUI.

Location of the pool – I will use fung shui. Example, in the northern hemisphere you want to have pool in the north side of your building – think of reflection of light from the pool on your ceiling – always constant movement of light – wait for 1 hour and I bet you will get headache. That pool belongs to my dam_n neighbored - unfortunately. Now I understand what the fung shui book said.

They mentioned things all about what Thais think, like

- not been able to save money if you live there

- relationship will have problems

Not able to save money is when the backyard is slope downward toward the rear property line. The cure is by having a spot light facing your roof peak. My take is you will have hard time to mow your lawn – slip – get cut by the blades – go to emergency room – lose work – become disable – poor guy.

Relation ship problem when you put the powder room (toilet room) in the southwest of the building (need to double check) – basically, the toilet room should not be placed in the marriage location. The cure is … move the toilet room to different part of the home. My take on this… WHO IS THE FUNGSHUI MASTER – DO THEY NEED TO GET A MASTER DEGREE? I got a master degree but not a fung shui master yet.

Years ago I found what I thought was a very nice house. It appeared to have been abandoned for quite some time even though the basic house was sound. When I asked my then girlfriend about it she told me that a stupid farang had built it wrong. He is now dead and the house is haunted. No Thai would ever consider living in that house. Since I don't believe in that sort of thing, I didn't go to any trouble to try to figure out exactly what the problems were. So yes, I'd have to say that the resale would suffer.

I think thats a practical thing as well anything triangular in shape in real estate is inefficient and should for that reason alone be avoided.

Feng Shui is mostly common sense, although there is also a fair degree of superstition too. Eg do not choose a floor with a 4 (4, 14, 24 etc) as it sounds too much like death in Chinese, 24 is very bad as it is "Sure to Die" (or perhaps thats 14? I can never remember). But if it does have bad mojo the master can review his books and prescribe remedies such as installing mirrors, fish, dragons , boats and lions etc to deflect bad energies...

Im not a believer, but many firms her take it very seriously. Thai Farmers bank (K Bank) is perhaps the best example of fengshui at work, being located next to the river with the bridge etc and I'm told that the buildings with the best feng shui in town is U Chi Liang on Rama 4 Road (where HSBC is), something about over looking a lake and the bridge in front etc..

Take the good stuff from fengshui, and there really is a lot that makes sound sense, but don't let it rule your decisions.

The location is not good - at the end of T-intersection ......It's believed that........accident(s) waiting to happen.

The cars may not see the house at night, or happen to loose the break and easily slam into your fense - due to the location of it.

Go buy the book about "fungshui", you will understand it all - very simple explaination really

It's all <deleted>, if you like the house buy it, if you don't then don't buy it.

It's all <deleted>, if you like the house buy it, if you don't then don't buy it.

That about sums it up!!!! :o

Dont know if any of you saw the episode of The Bullshit Detectives - re feng shui, took 3 different feng shui "experts" in to rearrange a sitting room in accordance with feng shui and guess what?? thats right all 3 were totally convincing and totally different!! result - Bullshit!

The same experiment was carried out on Penn & Teller - Bullshit - same result :D:D

If you like a house and insist on buying it, that's all well and good. BUT, if your wife refuses to live in your house, then it was obviously not a good idea to buy it and will likely be impossible to sell it. I have no idea how their minds work but I have learned to listen and keep my mouth shut when I don't agree or understand.

I think the Thais are more influenced about the positioning of the beds

And the alignment of the stars & planets..... :o

....not to mention, where's the money and how do I get some :D

and the toilets.....hong namms....cant be near the front door.

We just had 2 built on the end of the But and Ben in CM and now ...not lucky......can you use them as your office?

...Wot 2 offices with karzies and fitted showers .......now we will have US style walk in cupboards.. :D

Also seems the 'wai nam' needs moving...fortunately at the mo..its just a hole in the ground.

Even had to put a fence round it in case one of our cows fell into it... :D honestly they are Jungle cows..????

Dont know if any of you saw the episode of The Bullshit Detectives - re feng shui, took 3 different feng shui "experts" in to rearrange a sitting room in accordance with feng shui and guess what?? thats right all 3 were totally convincing and totally different!! result - Bullshit!

The same experiment was carried out on Penn & Teller - Bullshit - same result :D:D

Whether using fung shui or not - any home at the end of T-intersection is more prone to accident. In other words - PROBABILITY of having accident is increase. I see it again and again during snowing - thas is where the car endup - end of T intersection.

Most of Fung Shui book are garbage, and hard to understand & no explanation. You do not need fung shui if you only need to sell your home to westerner; however, selling it to Thai is different story. For me - if it helps selling the home faster and follow the LOGICAL THINKING, I use it otherwise forget it. By having a good architect to design your home - no need of fung shui.

Edited by samee4two

Whether using fung shui or not - any home at the end of T-intersection is more prone to accident. In other words - PROBABILITY of having accident is increase. I see it again and again during snowing - thas is where the car endup - end of T intersection.

Most of Fung Shui book are garbage, and hard to understand & no explanation. You do not need fung shui if you only need to sell your home to westerner; however, selling it to Thai is different story. For me - if it helps selling the home faster and follow the LOGICAL THINKING, I use it otherwise forget it. By having a good architect to design your home - no need of fung shui.

Aye, a real problem them snowstorms in Thailand!!!! :D:D:(