Need To Store Car Up To 6 Mths

thainet

I will need to store a car (late model Corolla) for a period of up to 6 months (while I'm travelling)

Other than disconnecting the 'positive battery cable' and putting a cover over the car, does anyone have any other ideas that maybe beneficial.

Thanks for any help...

I agree with the last poster: it is best to have a friend at least start the car once a week and let it run for about 5-10 minutes. Short of that I would use a trickle charger. I have left my car for six months on a trickle charger and everything worked when I returned. Is your car in an enclosed garage?

I just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Perfectly fine for a descil engined vechical. I used to leave it in a condo car park with the gf keeping an eye on it with a cover over it. Now we rent a house in Bangkok and it benefits from not being rolled back and forth by the security guards and better security being locked in the house compound. Would not leave a key with anyone (unless the area gets flooding from time to time). Not that I don't trust Thais, but... If you are going to have someone drive it from time to time (NOT RECOMMENDED) then make a note of the oddometer reading to make sure someone is not abusing your good will while your away (like your teerak lending it to her 'brother/uncle/father')! Its my money that bought it so no way am I going to let someone run around in it; I mean you would not do this at home?

Parked in one place might mean plastics and or tires become affected by regular sun exposure on a daily basis for that period of time. Is the location open to high winds - need to tie down any coverings. Any risk of something falling on it, overhead trees or suicidal expats?

Fuel will probably evaporate, best left with a full tank.

Might get flat spots on the tires, consider jacking it up on axel stands if possible ?

Spray throughout with a bug spray before leaving.

Photographs of as it was left is wise.

Easy access to a set of jump leads for when you return - probably not left in the vehicle as it makes theft easier.

Consider getting a chain and padlock for the steering wheel, maybe not easy to effectively secure the vehicle but a good visual deterrent.

Gentlemen thanks for you valuable input.

As I have a 24 hrs reliable maid on site with a covered carport and locked front gate, I don't have any security concerns, only the vehicle.

As of this time I have this plan. Park with car cover, maid will start 2-3 times a month and run the A/C for perhaps 10-15 mins at a time.

What do u think?.

If on axel stands see the effects of the maid getting in/out and closing the door, best that it is firmly held - does not need to be more than 1cm clearance for the tires.

Leave clear instructions for actions to take if..... something happens. Wise to have a local contact that you could call on to visit if you need clarification during your time away? Car World Club mentioned elsewhere on this forum?

Also most important DO NOT put gasohol in for the last refill as this fuel has a nasty habit of causing many worries when left in a fuel system for a long time. just refill with 91 and personally i would do 2 tank fulls to make sure its not in the tank or system.

Allan

I would do the following

Replace coolant in radiator. The stuff is only good for a year at best.

Change engine oil and filter. Get rid of the contaminates containing moisture and acid.

Put on axle stands. Preserve tires.

Put quarter tank of real fuel in with half a litre of metholated spirits. The metho will absorb condensation in the tank and carry it to combustion chamber.

Have detailed and waxed. Tarps leave rub marks on the paint if on for long periods.

I would prefer to leave battery on trick charger and have someone start and run for 10 minutes once a month. 5 minutes not enough.

Cycle the auto a couple of times and run the air-con.

I can see from the previous posts some people have knowledge about storing a car but others have no idea.

Good advice was given by BSJ and Thaicbr but I would like to add,dont let it run stationary for any time as it will create condense in the exhaust.Better have it driven around or not started at all.

Make sure the tires are at 3.5 kg pressure at least or even better have the car jacked up.

Have the tank filled with real gasoline,not gasohol,and if possible drain the carburetors.

Keep it in a place that is well ventilated or at least is ventilated for some time every week.So make sure you have a cover that allows air to go through or no cover at all.

As the previous posters said leave your battery on a drip charger as only disconnecting the battery will not save it.

Sure change your oil since used oil will eat your seals.

With the high humidity in thailand it is also a good idea to have the door and trunk rubbers covered with some talcum powder or silicone spray.Even better have them opened from time to time.

Sell it, problem solved, you wont need to worry about it while you are away making money and you wont have to come back to a de-valued car that might be vandalised,abused,stolen,or lots of other problems like cracked tyres,insect infestation,humidity afecting circutry ect, my choice, get rid, your choice, up to you,

Good Luck with whatever you decide, Cheers, Lickey.