Automatic Planter For Cassava

JungleBiker

Hi All,

In Khonwan's "sticky" cassava thread above, back in July on page 4 (I think?)Foreigner mentioned a prototype automatic planter for cassava. Does he or anyone else have any further information on such a planter? He said it was a based on a modified leek planter. How about sugar cane planters - I think these already exist in Thailand - would they not be suitable for planting cassava stems? Also, are they really automatic or do they still require someone to manually feed the stems into the machine behind the tractor? Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

By the way, how is the price of cassava at present or is it not harvest season yet?

JB

Hi All,

In Khonwan's "sticky" cassava thread above, back in July on page 4 (I think?)Foreigner mentioned a prototype automatic planter for cassava. Does he or anyone else have any further information on such a planter? He said it was a based on a modified leek planter. How about sugar cane planters - I think these already exist in Thailand - would they not be suitable for planting cassava stems? Also, are they really automatic or do they still require someone to manually feed the stems into the machine behind the tractor? Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

By the way, how is the price of cassava at present or is it not harvest season yet?

JB

JB,

Only ones I have seen have been a ripper with a great big storage box, a feed shute and a chair at the back. Haven't seen an automatic feed, but maybe it was and I didnt notice, and the chair was for your dog to sit on and watch the world go by.

Pretty simple to make yourself I thought. If you can convince the missus to do the stuffing or the driving good idea.

Edited by IsaanAussie

(I just checked back to the pinned thread - my memory was muddled - it was page 3 not 4, it was importford not foreigner, and he too was talking about sugar cane planters.)

Hi IsaanAussie,

Thanks, but if I get into cassava production (in Laos) I'll be looking for one ready made as I don't have the skills to make ag machinery. And being away from home it will have to be someone else's wife and dog. :o

JB.

Modified cane planters do the job very well.

I saw a huge three tined ripper on Sunday when out for some air, at a New Holland dealer, it had a PTO docking point but I couldn't see what was at the back. Of course it made me think of MF and his hundreds of horsepower, as jealous as. I was actually looking for a single tine on a Cat 1 rig for my little Iseki to struggle pulling, no luck for me and I will make one I think from a second hand mount. Off to Rangsit and the midnight shoppers.

JB, make sure you brush off the other guys missus before you put her back else his dog just might bite.

Hi All,

JB

The cassava harvest seems to be in full swing here in Udon...But the price seems very low...I think that the lowest I saw was 1.2 baht/kg and mostly 1.3 baht/kg.

For that price, it seems reasonable to me to just leave it in the ground and let it continue to grow and delay the harvest until prices are better...As I understand it, unlike rice, there is no specific time that it must be harvested.

Stoneman