Passport Expiration Dates & Visa On Entry...

I will be spending the Christmas & New Years holidays in Thailand, returning to my home country on January 3rd, 2009... I have just noticed that my passport expires in March 2009...

I know some countries which I travel to require from 90 days to 6 months of available time left on your passport before allowing entry...

Will I have any issues / problems with Thai Immigration over this -or- should I get my passport renewed ASAP before I travel to the LOS???

Definitely get your passport renewed if you possibly can because you might have some problems with Thai immigration. I say might because technically you are supposed to have 6 months left to run, but I do know 2 people that have been through Thai immigration in the last 2 years with no problems (having less than 6 months to run on their passports). However, I'd definitely err on the side of caution with this. No point getting here and being refused entry if you can easily avoid this. For some more comprehensive answers, post your question here.

I will be spending the Christmas & New Years holidays in Thailand, returning to my home country on January 3rd, 2009... I have just noticed that my passport expires in March 2009...

I know some countries which I travel to require from 90 days to 6 months of available time left on your passport before allowing entry...

Will I have any issues / problems with Thai Immigration over this -or- should I get my passport renewed ASAP before I travel to the LOS???

You need a new passport.

Thailand requires 6 months remaining on passport.

It is not only immigration that will look for the 6 months the airline might not allow you on your flight.

Edited by ubonjoe

Being unable to create a post of my own as using some internet cafe

I have a few questions reguards visa's for thailand currently I have a 60 days tourist visa due to run out 8/10/08 currently staying in Udon thani

my question is I would like to stay a further 60 days what is the best way to do this

1) a nong khai friendship crossing (visa at the otherside from the border) not sure if they can issue 60 days??

2) go to the laos consulate & get 2x tourist visa

please advize as I am a little confused as which is the best way I would prefer not to have to go to Vitenene

ps if this can be converted to another posting area more suitable :o

I have a few questions reguards visa's for thailand currently I have a 60 days tourist visa due to run out 8/10/08 currently staying in Udon thani

my question is I would like to stay a further 60 days what is the best way to do this

1) a nong khai friendship crossing (visa at the otherside from the border) not sure if they can issue 60 days??

please advize as I am a little confused as which is the best way I would prefer not to have to go to Vitenene

Your visa appears to have already expired. Do you mean the permission to stay stamp or the visa validity? If the former, you should exit (by air), pay your fine and go to Vientiane and apply for a new single entry tourist visa (since you only need another 60 days). Any mods around? Could you move this to the Visa forum? Ta...

Your visa appears to have already expired. Do you mean the permission to stay stamp or the visa validity? If the former, you should exit (by air), pay your fine and go to Vientiane and apply for a new single entry tourist visa (since you only need another 60 days). Any mods around? Could you move this to the Visa forum? Ta...

a typo error the date was wrong I quoted 8/11/08 my Visa is a 60 days double entry tourist visa but hasnt been used yet for exit but the final result I want is a further 60 days stay sorry about the mistake

I would be worried if he does what you suggests and the Immigration at the Thai border says you don't have 6 months validity on your passport - no enter!

I would be worried if he does what you suggests and the Immigration at the Thai border says you don't have 6 months validity on your passport - no enter!

yes sorry posted in wrong area but I do have more than 6 months left on passport

a typo error the date was wrong I quoted 8/11/08 my Visa is a 60 days double entry tourist visa but hasnt been used yet for exit but the final result I want is a further 60 days stay sorry about the mistake

Just cross the nearest border (make sure you do this before the VALIDITY of your visa expires - look on the visa sticker - it will say enter before so and so date - make sure you exit and re-enter BEFORE, not on this date), come straight back over and re-enter for another 60 days. You should also be able to extend for another 30 days at local immigration (either now, or after your next 60 days)...

mk

They're two different people Jimbo...

Guess there is something to be said for reading the previous posts then... :o

Just cross the nearest border (make sure you do this before the VALIDITY of your visa expires - look on the visa sticker - it will say enter before so and so date - make sure you exit and re-enter BEFORE, not on this date), come straight back over and re-enter for another 60 days. You should also be able to extend for another 30 days at local immigration (either now, or after your next 60 days)...

mk

Does anyone know where the nearest local immigration office is to Udon thani SUITABLE FOR THE purpose of 30 extention

Does anyone know where the nearest local immigration office is to Udon thani SUITABLE FOR THE purpose of 30 extention

Go to this forum and post the question. You're more likely to get a quicker answer. Also, beware if you extend at immigration now that you don't overrun the validity of your visa (the amount of time you get to use the 2 entries), since this will mean you won't be able to use the second entry = false economy...

yes sorry posted in wrong area but I do have more than 6 months left on passport

1. If you only want 60 days more time you can use the 2nd entry on your visa. Just cross the bridge at Nong Kai enter Laos (visa on entry 1500 baht) and come back that will bive you another 60 days.

2. If you want more than 60 days. You can get a 30 day extension (1900 baht) at Nong Kai immigration office.

3. After 30 day extension cross border as in 1 and get another 60 days.

4. Do 2 again.

After all of this you will need a new visa.

Edited by ubonjoe