European Union Savings Directive

xkkpafi

I get a dividend payment from a bank in Luxembourg that in addition to wanting the usual certified passport and utility bill are now asking for a "Certificate confirming Exempt Tax status by virtue of residency outside the EU" or "Certification from the competent authority of the state of residence of the beneficial owner". Has anyone else encountered these demands and what did you do about it. I live here on a retirement visa.

Thanks for any advice.

I get a dividend payment from a bank in Luxembourg that in addition to wanting the usual certified passport and utility bill are now asking for a "Certificate confirming Exempt Tax status by virtue of residency outside the EU" or "Certification from the competent authority of the state of residence of the beneficial owner". Has anyone else encountered these demands and what did you do about it. I live here on a retirement visa.

Thanks for any advice.

Had this issue from my bank in Luxembourg three years ago.

I could not resolve it and have been paying EU tax since. :o

PM me if you find a way.

Thanks for any advice.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if you live here then surely there shouldn't be any valid reason why you can't get a tax exemption certificate. You're not an EU resident right? Consider moving to an offshore account. My bank doesn't require such a certificate (I'm assuming I could get one anyway), just proof of residence in Thailand...

Thanks for any advice.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if you live here then surely there shouldn't be any valid reason why you can't get a tax exemption certificate. You're not an EU resident right? Consider moving to an offshore account. My bank doesn't require such a certificate (I'm assuming I could get one anyway), just proof of residence in Thailand...

Yes, your right about the banks, just a proof of residence is OK, usually a utility bill and certified passport. My issue concerns interest income on a bond fund which falls into this EU savings Directive, hence the complications. I was just wondering where to get a tax exemption certificate.

Thanks for any advice.

Had this issue from my bank in Luxembourg three years ago.

I could not resolve it and have been paying EU tax since. :o

PM me if you find a way.

If I find a solution I'll definitely mail you. By the way you know the european witholding increases or has increased this year to 20% and will increase to 30% in the next couple of years.