CAT-CDMA Load Balancing Replacing Ipstar Satellite Internet

george

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also use a software-based router. Kerio WinRoute Firewall (version 6.5.0+) supports load balancing and failover over multiple WAN links with the ability to set the weight of each link based on it's capacity. In my case both my EVDO links and ADSL links give me between 800-1500kbps and neither the EVDO or the ADSL links are consistently faster. The absolute value of the link speed is not important, but the ratio of values between the individual links is... so I just set them all with equal weight of 1Mbps.

The nice thing about this solution is that I did not have to buy any more special hardware (any old PC works fine) and with 9 USB ports there's plenty of room for additional WAN links! Last year I did purchase the PePLink Balance 30 (as did george) and it worked very well for my TOT ADSL, TTT ADSL and IPStar... but it doesn't have any USB ports. And after spending $500 on the PePLink I wasn't looking to spend more money on new hardware to support the USB EVDO modems... so WinRoute does the trick!

WinRoute sees the EVDO modems as dial-up connections and you can configure WinRoute with the username/password for each modem ([email protected]/catevdo) and it handles dialing/re-dialing so they stay up (you should disable the dialing software that comes with the modems). You don't have to login to Windows at startup since WinRoute runs as a service and dials the EVDO modems without having to login.

The image below shows my WinRoute setup with 2 ADSL links (TTT & TOT), 1 C-motech CCU-680 and 1 Novatel MC-727. However, I normally keep the 2 ADSL links connected to the PePLink (perhaps out of guilt for not continuing to use it) and then connect WinRoute's LAN port to the remaining (third) WAN port on the PepLink. So in reality I'm just using WinRoute for the EVDO modems and my LAN sits behind the PePLink which does the primary load balancing between everything (treating the EVDO modems as one combined 2Mbps link with a higher weight ratio).

kerio.png

Excellent post G!

Does the peplink increase upload as well? I know that with download managers you spread the multiple download sessions over the 2 connections, but is the same possible on ftp uploads?

Looking at the propel thingy right now!

Cheers...

The only product I've seen that supports multi-part uploads is CuteFTP (you also need their FTP server software running on the other end which costs $700!).

Multi-Part Uploads

Accelerate throughput and maximizes the available bandwidth available to the client by allowing uploaded files to be split apart and transferred in multiple segments simultaneously. This feature works with compatible FTP clients such as CuteFTP Professional using a proprietary command (COMB).

http://www.globalscape.com/gsftps/features.aspx

I cannot 100% confirm to you that the ccu-680 works (I use the ccu-650, the older Rev. 0 Model). But they use standard modem AT commands to communicate with the USB modem. But if you can find an article confirming the ccu-680 works in linux, then you should be OK. I'm a computer geek, and it took me the better part of a day to get the router's firmware flashed, and setup with the ccu-650. I'm not sure Cradlepoint offers full support for the ccu-680 either..

--matt

hi thank's for the answer,

i didint fund a 100% confirmation for the 680 but it suppose to work with the softwear dd-wrt

so go one im going to try, thank's for your test

i give the news soon when the test done, but i must order it first...

bye

I cannot 100% confirm to you that the ccu-680 works (I use the ccu-650, the older Rev. 0 Model). But they use standard modem AT commands to communicate with the USB modem. But if you can find an article confirming the ccu-680 works in linux, then you should be OK. I'm a computer geek, and it took me the better part of a day to get the router's firmware flashed, and setup with the ccu-650. I'm not sure Cradlepoint offers full support for the ccu-680 either..

--matt

hi thank's for the answer,

i didint fund a 100% confirmation for the 680 but it suppose to work with the softwear dd-wrt

so go one im going to try, thank's for your test

i give the news soon when the test done, but i must order it first...

bye

Oh don't worry, it *CAN* work, just brush up on your linux. :o

--matt

Good information, thanks.

No I just meant that *if* it should fail.

found this by semi random clicking on the cat site (no I dont read Thai :| )

http://www.catcdma.com/about_as/coveragearea/index.htm

I'm after getting set up at home in ban leum with the cat-cdma as opposed to any other broadband or similar network.My first question is will i get a good signal in that area? as i have no tel line connected to the property.Secondly what's the alternative?

• 1 month later...

--matt

hi matt

after having some probleme to order over internet the wl-500gp v2 im finally going to had yai and buy one to the "dcam shop"

so im going to try to do something with it

a question, wich version of open WRT firmware have you tested?

and dos the kernel 2.6 working wich this router?

thank you

--matt

hi matt

after having some probleme to order over internet the wl-500gp v2 im finally going to had yai and buy one to the "dcam shop"

so im going to try to do something with it

a question, wich version of open WRT firmware have you tested?

and dos the kernel 2.6 working wich this router?

thank you

I use the Koppel firmware...

you need to know your modem's manufactur id, and model id, then you need to select User Configured CDMA device...then you must edit the pppd scripts correctly. If you don't know how to get your modem working on a normal LINUX machine..then you need to hire someone else to help you.

--matt

hi matt,

thank's for the info

im going to flash the router with the version 1.71.trx from koppel.cz

tryed now, but no success from the web interface im going to system settings and firmware upgrade select the .trx

than get

Firmware Upgrade Fail !

Firmware upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmare and try again.

any advise?

thank you

bye :o

Edited by kleik

hi,

ok the update is done with the last version of koppel

the step was to update first the router with the last asus firmware and than with the koppel one

so update is ok now thank's

i will give some news later

bye

somewhere on this forum, is a dsecription of how to get the modem working in linux.

search the koppel site for setting up a "User Defined" modem...you wlll need to download a .tar of the config files koppel uses to uttilize a user defined modem..them you must edit those files to match the cmotech's manufacturs id and device id. then check the message log...on mine...it initally would create a connection..but there was some sort of reconnection script enabled..that caused it to disconnect in 30 seconds..so then i had to go thru and idsable that automatic reconnection script.

it took me a few days of searching to get right..and i don't remember the exact steps..but this info should get yhou thru some roadblocks.

somewhere on this forum, is a dsecription of how to get the modem working in linux.

search the koppel site for setting up a "User Defined" modem...you wlll need to download a .tar of the config files koppel uses to uttilize a user defined modem..them you must edit those files to match the cmotech's manufacturs id and device id. then check the message log...on mine...it initally would create a connection..but there was some sort of reconnection script enabled..that caused it to disconnect in 30 seconds..so then i had to go thru and idsable that automatic reconnection script.

it took me a few days of searching to get right..and i don't remember the exact steps..but this info should get yhou thru some roadblocks.

thank you verry much for your answer like that im not in to the deep dark...

it will probably take me few days too... :o

bye :D

hi matt thank's for the dial files.

im still on work to get the ccu-680 working with the wl 500 g premium v2 ( not successfull yet)

a question, have you modified another script then the dial.tar.gz?

in the interface of the router do you connect yourself as cdma device or user definied?

dou you know a way to access the router in files mode?

thank you :o

Yes, you need to select User Defined CDMA modem. I believe the only other script I modified was some reconnect script, that was calling pppd too often, and causing the existing connection to die. Look at the log file in the GUI.

Also, you MUST figure out the model ID code, and replace that in my files. Otherwise the router will look for a ccu-650...NOT a ccu-680..of course you could always send me yours...and I can figure it out for you..but then you might not get it back. :o

oh..make sure you are correctly saving the it to flash memory...otherwise each time you reboot, your files might be lost...you can access it via telenet...admin/admin (but you night need to enable it somewhere in the settings, i can't remember).

hi kleik,

just read and search for information on getting the ccu-680 to work in LINUX...the router is simply a linux box...read the instructions carefully...and then the only other piece is modifying the files so they stay put on reboot, rather than getting erased (read the wl forms for that).

MattFS218:

Thanks for sharing your dial-scripts. Couple of questions.

1) on cdma.chat you send "" AT+CRM=1, what does the CRM=1 do?

2) On param6 is 'USB Max Packet Size (1024)' I suppose that is the default. Are you using higher value like 2048?

3) Does the update script have other means than fetch the nvram values to cdma and cdma.chat scripts? Eg. you run it only once?

4) What kind of MRU values do you use? I have the default values, but every now and then ftp and http downloads seems to hang for an moment. According the logs the link is still up and running.

Br, Pekka

1)I don't know what the CRM=1 does...i got the AT commands direct from the linux manual instructions

2) I don't know

3) i don't know..it's normal pppd scripts...other than that I have no idea....it shoudln't need to fetch anything from nvram

4) it's probably a coverage problem......i'm in between 2 cat cdma base stations (both about 8 km away)....but use a repeater, and still get disconnected 3-4 times/day...next time I come back i'm going to bring back a directional antenna...which will solve the pollition problem...maybe you have the same issue.

hope this helps.

I have the CAT CDMA and am OK with it. Now the question is the Wife wants to open a little internet cafe in the village, only thing available is CAT CDMA or the TOT IPStar. Now I am ok with the CAT as a single user, but they are talking letting 5 PC share the same connection? I think that would be snail speed. Also, the CDMA is not good enough for the gamers kids. But I hear from this thread that TOT IPStar is not worth the money or even reialable for use. Advice??

I have the CAT CDMA and am OK with it. Now the question is the Wife wants to open a little internet cafe in the village, only thing available is CAT CDMA or the TOT IPStar. Now I am ok with the CAT as a single user, but they are talking letting 5 PC share the same connection? I think that would be snail speed. Also, the CDMA is not good enough for the gamers kids. But I hear from this thread that TOT IPStar is not worth the money or even reialable for use. Advice??

CAT CDMA will be better then any iPSTAR system. Latency on iPSTAR is even worse then on CDMA!

CDMA regularly goes over 1 Mbps, whereas a more expensive iPSTAR (tot home 1 Mbps @2600/month +vat) will never reach 1 Mbps and during peak times maybe will give you 10% of that.

Any stability speedwise you'll have to go corporate package with 1 Mbps costing you 4,900 /month +vat!

Gaming will be out on both systems due to the high lag (high ping times).

Surfing/email will be not much of a problem even with 5 PC's hooked up...

Understand the corporate package price, but would the performance be better, than 5 pc sharing them same cdma card? I know from use, that it is not good for streaming, not good at VOIP. Again, for email (not over 3 meg messages), surfing the web the CAT does OK, but just don't think that 5 PC sharing the same connection would be that good. today I have Ping to bangkok 151 ms, download between 1.25 and .78 MB and upload between .35 and .29 MB

invest in some fiberoptics, its gonna take a long time to make a profit but eventually every single kid will come to your place since you'll be the only one offering good ping time for games, you'll even have to expand.

invest in some fiberoptics, its gonna take a long time to make a profit but eventually every single kid will come to your place since you'll be the only one offering good ping time for games, you'll even have to expand.

?? fiberoptic to what??