Married With Children - What Visa ?

Hello,

My Thai Wife and our new born baby are moving from the UK to Thailand sometime next year.

When traveling to Thailand before I was married, I would get a 1 year Non Immigrant 'O' visa from Hull, which would require me to return to the UK once per year to have it renewed.

What are my options now I am married to a Thai national with our new born child. Do I need to return every year to the UK to renew a visa?

I can support my family whilst in Thailand without working, I am 38 years and a British National, my wife is Thai and our child is therefore half Thai half Britiish.

Thanks very much for your info.

Regards

Arran.

Hello,

My Thai Wife and our new born baby are moving from the UK to Thailand sometime next year.

When traveling to Thailand before I was married, I would get a 1 year Non Immigrant 'O' visa from Hull, which would require me to return to the UK once per year to have it renewed.

What are my options now I am married to a Thai national with our new born child. Do I need to return every year to the UK to renew a visa?

I can support my family whilst in Thailand without working, I am 38 years and a British National, my wife is Thai and our child is therefore half Thai half Britiish.

Thanks very much for your info.

Regards

Arran.

First you will need to get a single entry non immigrant O visa.

Then you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay if you can prove 40,000 baht income per month.

See page 8 clause 7.17 of police order for requirements.

Link to police order: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Have you gotten a passport for your child yet. If you register the childs birth at the Thai consulate and get a passport a visa would not be needed for your child.

Then you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay if you can prove 40,000 baht income per month.

Have you gotten a passport for your child yet. If you register the childs birth at the Thai consulate and get a passport a visa would not be needed for your child.

Yes, Thanks.

I have contacted the Thai embassey abourt passport for my child, will need to get a thai birth certificate so I can renew the childs passport in Thailand when it expires after 5 years. However, I don't know the minimum time it will take to get the certificate and passport? We go Thailand for 1 month holiday in february, then stay UK for 2 months in March and April. The return Thailand in May to live.

Yes. A single entry Non O Visa or the Multi Entry if you need more time before applying.

As Joe said you would need a family income of 40,000 Baht a month. You prove this by getting a letter from the UK Embassy verifying your income.

You will need a few other things but they will not be a problem. Ask here a bit nearer the time for further advice.

If trip in February is 30 days or less you can enter on a visa exempt entry and then get the non-o for the next trip.

Or go ahead and get a multiple entry O if there is any chance you won't be able to get the extension done within the 90 days you would have on a single.

Yes, Thanks.

I have contacted the Thai embassey abourt passport for my child, will need to get a thai birth certificate so I can renew the childs passport in Thailand when it expires after 5 years. However, I don't know the minimum time it will take to get the certificate and passport? We go Thailand for 1 month holiday in february, then stay UK for 2 months in March and April. The return Thailand in May to live.

Hi, when you go to the Thai Embassy in London to get your kids Thai passport, you can print off the aplication forms for the passport and birth certificate at the same time. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/birthpp_en.html It takes about 6 weeks to recieve the passport and BC although our son's took 10 weeks but my wifes's friends took 5 weeks even though we handed our documents in at the same time.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Some people will tell you to make an appointment but others will say not to bother, we did and it made no difference we had to wait 2 1/2 hours at the embassy, it's a couple of small rooms in the basement. When we arrived at 9:30 for our appointment it was heaving already (It opens 9:30 - 12:30 only) left at 12 and it was empty so might be worth turning up at about 11:30.

Good luck.

Edited by Brigante7

Hi, when you go to the Thai Embassy in London to get your kids Thai passport, you can print off the aplication forms for the passport and birth certificate at the same time. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/birthpp_en.html It takes about 6 weeks to recieve the passport and BC although our son's took 10 weeks but my wifes's friends took 5 weeks even though we handed our documents in at the same time.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Some people will tell you to make an appointment but others will say not to bother, we did and it made no difference we had to wait 2 1/2 hours at the embassy, it's a couple of small rooms in the basement. When we arrived at 9:30 for our appointment it was heaving already (It opens 9:30 - 12:30 only) left at 12 and it was empty so might be worth turning up at about 11:30.

Good luck.

Thanks Brigante.

Unless you are sure of a job, then I suggest you continue with the one year Multi-entry from Hull.

This gives you up to 15 months to find your feet and get a job organised.

You will need to make the 3 monthly border runs, but once you have a

job you can easily apply for the one year extension.

For the one year extension you will need to show a monthly family income of 40,000 baht.

With the new baby I guess that will be down to you.

Please read other recent posts about income requirements for married couples,

especially as you appear to have independent means.

It is not as simple as it may appear. :o