American Caught Switching Price Tags

Humphrey Bear

Another from Pattaya One

Monday 3rd November 2008

American caught switching price tickets at Homepro.

On Saturday Evening, Police Lieutenant Anuwat from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Homepro Store located in Central Pattaya following reports that Security Guards had detained an American Man accused of switching price tickets on products. A second man, also thought to be American, escaped before Police arrived. The man refused to give his full name to Police but is thought to be called Gordon, aged 34. He was accused of switching price tickets on two boxes, both containing ceiling fans. The more expensive fan was priced at 5,490 Baht and the cheaper one was only 1,900 Baht. A sharp-eyed CCTV operator spotted the switch and alerted Security Guards when the man arrived at the Checkouts. According to staff at Homepro, this was not the first time they had caught “Gordon” switching price tickets. He was later transferred to Pattaya Police Station where he was placed in a holding cell for a time before the case was cleared between both parties without any further action being taken.

See it here - http://pattayaone.net/news/2008/november/news_03_11_51.shtml

Could this be WeHo on another campaign?

Even if he paid his way out of it, he should be left in jail or a dam_n close look at his visa should be done .. If he will steal from a store he WILL steal from you or his mate just as fast. Cane the thief.

This sweet, sunny, nay breezy, man, an American so of course a good upstanding Christian (possibly wearing Mormon underwear so in dire need of mechanical cooling) naive but earnest (but that's not of importance), is a great fan of fans. He loves the fans. He loves them too much, long time he loves the fans. Sadly, more than his budget will allow. Give him the fan he wants, give him five of them, it is great free advertising for Home Pro, home of the alluring fans!

(Both ideas kind of stupid, yes?)

Edited by Jingthing

Isn't it nice that a repeat offender can "come to an arrangement" with the people he stole from (or tried to), and is free to do it again. Wonder how many times he's done the same (or similar) and gotten away with it ?

Isn't it nice that a repeat offender can "come to an arrangement" with the people he stole from (or tried to), and is free to do it again. Wonder how many times he's done the same (or similar) and gotten away with it ?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here and not only with petty crime like this which for a foreigner potentially carries the threat of deportation. How many times do we read in the news about this person or that person who is a "known offender' for a particular type of crime. Why are they not locked up? Drug dealers are a particular case in point where I thought there was a potential death penalty, and they are constantly rearrested for the same offence. I guess it's just a case of who you know or how much you can afford to pay.

".....he was placed in a holding cell for a time before the case was cleared between both parties without any further action being taken."

I sort of know what this means, but it's the first time I've seen it stated like this. It sounds like a negotiation took place. Justice at work. The police act as arbitrators. I wonder if he paid sticker price.

Edited by Shotime

".....he was placed in a holding cell for a time before the case was cleared between both parties without any further action being taken."

I sort of know what this means, but it's the first time I've seen it stated like this. It sounds like a negotiation took place. Justice at work. The police act as arbitrators. I wonder if he paid sticker price.

Plus a smallish fee for the arbitration and accommodation. :o

Petty crime it might be, but this type of thing costs the stores millions each year, and who pays for the lossess, all of us other consumers.

As to negoatiation, I suspect it would have cost him way more than what the fans were originally priced at.

My personal thoughts would be forget negotiation and cancel his visa immediately never to return.