Pool Bars, Which The Best ?

johnson36

ill be arriving in Bangkok in just over 4 weeks time. Me and the wife like to play pool and would like you to recomend some places to try out. We like the style of the Bamboo Bar Soi 3 that has 4 tables, winner stays on and looser pays. Seems to have a good atmosphere after 11pm ish around christmas time. Is there any bars similar in style to this ? I am not keen on the pool halls where you pay by the hour and just play each other. I like to play different people of different Nationalities, makes a more interesting evening.

Can you recommend any new ones for us to try ?

Cheers

Edited by johnson36

Try Country Road on Soi Cowboy as the best all round option, not least as they play world rules in there.

Do they have any winner stays on tables ?

Gullivers on Soi 5 is also an option, they have winner stay on tables.

Try Country Road on Soi Cowboy as the best all round option, not least as they play world rules in there.

Yup, 5 of them. The good thing there is each table has its own name board, so you can put your name up on each. If you get your timings right, you can jump straight onto another table when you lose, and repeat all night. It gets busier later at night, when the regulars arrive, but keeping your name on all 5 boards ensures you rarely have long to wait. A good bar, too.

Gullivers on Soi 5 is also an option, they have winner stay on tables.

They do, but I'm not overly keen on the place, especially at night. It's actually a pretty good place to place during the day, when they have the 3 tables in the front open only, which are better than the 6 in the back IMO. There's also a more steady stream of day time players there than some of the other pool bars.

• 1 month later...

Target 2 in Patpong. Despite it's location it's NOT sleazy and has 5 nice sized tables (not the typical smaller bar types). It's located on the 4th floor of the building opposite Foodland - it shares an entrance with that new bridge bar. Closes fairly late too - I've been there until beyond 4am.... :o

The new venue above Bully's sounds as though it is going to be rather flash. The pool tables they have imported are Brunswick Competition Gold Crown V, considered the finest competition table having been used in Pool Tours since 1961. The new pool lounge at Bully's will open in the first quarter of 2009 with an investment in excess of 12 million baht.

Later at night, you have Penny Black in Soi Cowboy which gets busy from 2am and has 2 winner stays on tables. Not the best tables or cues in the world, but by the time you get there, you should be drunk enough not to care.

The new venue above Bully's sounds as though it is going to be rather flash. The pool tables they have imported are Brunswick Competition Gold Crown V, considered the finest competition table having been used in Pool Tours since 1961. The new pool lounge at Bully's will open in the first quarter of 2009 with an investment in excess of 12 million baht.

Are these the same tables from the "ball in hand" at times square at the time of their 'fire' sale or are they brand new?

Are these the same tables from the "ball in hand" at times square at the time of their 'fire' sale or are they brand new?

My source of information would suggest these tables are not smoke damaged goods from The ball in Hand.

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickMarkII/...opherGMoore.htm