Pad Won't Open Road For Royal Cremation

Wolfie

Digging in their heels and refusing to budge, determined anti-government protesters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) said they would not open the Makkhawan Rangsun Bridge on Bangkok's Ratchadamnern Nok Avenue which His Majesty the King and other royal family members would use to attend the royal cremation of the monarch's sister, the late Princess Galyani Vadhana, citing security of the demonstrators.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131888

:Dshocking and disgusting decision by the PAD and on the edge of Lèse Majesté because such a decision is an offense against the dignity of a reigning sovereign state: Thailand.

"Pol. Maj-Gen. Panu Kerdlarppol, deputy chief of Bangkok's Metropolitan Police responsible for traffic affairs, said he was informed by PAD representative Samdin Lertbutr that the Peoples' Alliance had decided not to open Makkhawan Bridge for the free flow of traffic because the PAD core leaders feared that the PAD members would be at risk of attack.

Ratchadamnern Nok Avenue was to be used by royal family members as routes heading to Sanam Luang for the royal funeral ceremony scheduled during November 14-19. "

From: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131888

EDIT:

No wonder the PAD is coming to an end and falling into pieces.... ! :o

"The survey also showed plummeting support of the general public for the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The support for the anti-government group has gone down from 47.7% and 42.9% from last month to 26.3% to 29.6% this month. "

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131882

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

"The survey also showed plummeting support of the general public for the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The support for the anti-government group has gone down from 47.7% and 42.9% from last month to 26.3% to 29.6% this month. "

Why didn't you give a full quote, Lao Po.

It continues like this:

The PAD saw its popularity plunged from 47.7 per cent to 26.3 per cent. The government's popularity took a nosedive from 42.9 per cent to 29.6 per cent.

>>>>

Overall it's a strange report, 'cos I read in the paper this morning that the procession route was changed to Lang Luan Rd. already.

I don't quite understand this decision either but no telling what has been discussed by people in powerful positions leading to this decision ....

and LaoPo ... are you thinking you can decide what one particular man finds offensive? I would be offended by someone I have never met thinking they knew me well enough to decide what I thought was offensive!

(edit for clarity)

Edited by jdinasia

It continues like this:

The PAD saw its popularity plunged from 47.7 per cent to 26.3 per cent. The government's popularity took a nosedive from 42.9 per cent to 29.6 per cent.

>>>>

Overall it's a strange report, 'cos I read in the paper this morning that the procession route was changed to Lang Luan Rd. already.

So, who's popular now? The Army?

It continues like this:

>>>>

:D

1. I didn't give a full quote because that's not allowed by the Bangkok Post and Thaivisa administration as well because TV received complaints from the BKK Post as far as I'm aware.

2. I quoted from the link as above but YOUR sentence was NOT in the link I provided; so I'm puzzled WHERE you found the sentence -by you- in BOLD ?! :D

Fact: I didn't change the quote !

jdinasia: I gave my opinion -not decision- about an article in the BKK Post where it said the PAD would not open the Makkhawan Bridge to let the Royal Family members pass because the PAD fears for the security of their members;

I hope it's allowed to submit my opinion ?

Note: That the PAD is blocking traffic in Bangkok is a bloody shame in the first place.... :o

LaoPo

A reminder to members of this forum rule "Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden."

The OP is a news report and that much is allowed regarding this.

wouldnt be surprised the army will wake up now

so far army leaders refused to get involved and let the police take care of business.

I think this is not a real smart move from PAD as it is an insult and seen as a disrespect to the King.

Here come the green with the yellow ribbons to clean the road.

2. I quoted from the link as above but YOUR sentence was NOT in the link I provided; so I'm puzzled WHERE you found the sentence -by you- in BOLD ?! :o

Plus' quote is from a different article (not on the funeral route aspect) in The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/07...cs_30087880.php

Thanks a lot Phaeton; it is indeed.

Funny enough it seems that the present government leads with 3.3% in popularity over the PAD :D :

"The PAD saw its popularity plunged from 47.7 per cent to 26.3 per cent. The government's popularity took a nosedive from 42.9 per cent to 29.6 per cent."

But..in the end they're both not very popular; according to a simple poll that is, conducted on 2,487 respondents in the capital and surrounding areas.

LaoPo

These are the same people who will cry when the tanks start rolling. Time for them to go home I think.

Huh?

They CHEERED the last time the tanks rolled, or did you miss that day in civics class? :o

That's cos they were behind them smart boy.

This JDsneeringINASIA cannot be told anything. So to paraphrase what he wrote yesterday, just give up on him.

The strange thing I notice on here is that a number of people from the far left of the falang world seem to be treating this right wing coup as a popular peoples uprising.

Nice to see the army is more impartial these days. They certainly are more politically savvy than the PAD and have so far refused to be drawn in to act against the people who voted in the party of their choice.

Don't see the demonised Bush and his allies actively undermining Obama in this way. He and McCain accepted the choice and so do I even though I think the american voters voted the wrong way and were misled by the media. Thats democracy.

You people are assuming that this hasn't all been discussed at very high levels and that it really is not an issue at all :o

You're right jdinasia:

"The Royal Household Bureau and police agreed Thursday that the Larn Luang Road would be used instead of Rajdamnone Road after the People's Alliance for Democracy would not stop blocking the road."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30087776

It seems higher powers are avoiding confrontations with PAD...which is wiser than to look for their ultimate rights.

LaoPo

These are the same people who will cry when the tanks start rolling. Time for them to go home I think.

Huh?

They CHEERED the last time the tanks rolled, or did you miss that day in civics class? :o

That's cos they were behind them smart boy.

This JDsneeringINASIA cannot be told anything. So to paraphrase what he wrote yesterday, just give up on him.

The strange thing I notice on here is that a number of people from the far left of the falang world seem to be treating this right wing coup as a popular peoples uprising.

Nice to see the army is more impartial these days. They certainly are more politically savvy than the PAD and have so far refused to be drawn in to act against the people who voted in the party of their choice.

Don't see the demonised Bush and his allies actively undermining Obama in this way. He and McCain accepted the choice and so do I even though I think the american voters voted the wrong way and were misled by the media. Thats democracy.

Thank you for the FLAME

Who is the far left of the faRang world --- and what coup? There hasn't been a coup in Thailand since 2006.

The military have stepped in on a couple of occasions in this round already. They are doing their job, nothing more and nothing less at this point.

This isn't the Obama thread and this isn't the USA :D