Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And an article by Asian Tribune as well, but citing/copying The Nation newspaper/Bangkok:

http://www.asiantribune.com/?q=node/14080

It's odd that in the middle of the Asian night/morning, Asian news sources have the news* whilst the evening/early night 'Europe and the UK' report nothing so far but maybe the UK Home Office wants it to be like this, entering the weekend. If so, it's rather smart and typical political ''play''.

We'll see.

* "news" brought by a Second Secretary (Airline Liaison Officer) from the British Embassy in Bangkok, as mentioned by member Phaeton....IF it's true.

LaoPo

Lao Po, search deeper.

I'm sure your faith that every e-mail sent to airlines about visa cancellations is properly documented, verified, and turned into a news story by BBC will be vindicated sooner or later.

The leak came from the airlines, apparenty, which makes sense.

Do you think Thaksin is watching BBC to confirm his visa cancellation?

Lao Po, search deeper.

I'm sure your faith that every e-mail sent to airlines about visa cancellations is properly documented, verified, and turned into a news story by BBC will be vindicated sooner or later.

The leak came from the airlines, apparenty, which makes sense.

Do you think Thaksin is watching BBC to confirm his visa cancellation?

:D ...You almost flatter me Plus but I'm not a Private Eye you know.

However I checked some Chinese websites but there's nothing, absolutely nothing and the Chinese newspapers would know if he's in China or if Thaksin would have stfranded in China. The China Daily has a Total of 787 documents found in 1-20 pages on Thaksin and the latest was from Nov. 3.

But..who knows, but the UK Home Office ? :o

LaoPo

I sincerely hope that it is true! With all the hassle that honest legit farangs have staying here, Criminals like Thaksin should not be allowed into the UK and Thais should face the same visa hassles that legit farangs face here. :o

Have you any idea how difficult it is for a Thai to get a UK visa?

Lao Po, apparently it was an e-mail sent to arilines by ariline liason officer at Bangkok Embassy.

Do you tink he cc'd it to news media?

Do you think Cathai Pacific staff forwarded this e-mail to South China Morning Post?

I understand if one of hundreds to airlines employees here who saw the mail couldn't pass the chance to leak it to Manager, but it might as well turn out to be a prank.

The move itself is not surprising - criminal convictions and visas don't go very well toghether. Thaksin might try entering on another passport and applying again, but still there's this issue of conviction.

I sincerely hope that it is true! With all the hassle that honest legit farangs have staying here, Criminals like Thaksin should not be allowed into the UK and Thais should face the same visa hassles that legit farangs face here. :o

Have you any idea how difficult it is for a Thai to get a UK visa?

Yes I have, but they only have to go through the hassle once, have a Thai friend married to a Brit for the past five years, she is now a fully fledged citizen. How many Brits married to Thais here have become citizens by virtue of marriage and have the right to work?

What about his big house in Weybridge and flat in Knightsbridge? Did that not net him an investment visa of some sort?

Or perhaps he has been deemed to have been undertaking activities not compatible with his visa status.

Or the whole thing is PAD fabrication. :o

Lao Po, apparently it was an e-mail sent to arilines by ariline liason officer at Bangkok Embassy.

Do you tink he cc'd it to news media?

Do you think Cathai Pacific staff forwarded this e-mail to South China Morning Post?

I understand if one of hundreds to airlines employees here who saw the mail couldn't pass the chance to leak it to Manager, but it might as well turn out to be a prank.

The move itself is not surprising - criminal convictions and visas don't go very well toghether. Thaksin might try entering on another passport and applying again, but still there's this issue of conviction.

To be honest Plus.....I haven't the slightest idea HOW such messages are sent by the Home Office to their various Embassies, world wide, or in this case to an airline liaison officer from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

However I do know that very important messages (this is one I may presume) like this are NOT sent by means of an email but rather by personal courier mail or secured fax-lines (messages from London Home Office to Bangkok).

I still think it's a bit odd that this airline officer would send out -open- emails to all kinds of airlines, asking/telling NOT to have the Shinawatra's board their planes (to the UK), isn't it ?

Personally I would think that in the case of high profile individuals the UK would be more discrete so to say, especially if such an individual was a former PM of a befriended state.

But, as said, I don't know and have no idea how this political game is played but we all know that the Brits are Masters, playing political games.

LaoPo

he's off to P.I. :o

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin'

- Limp Bizkit

Thaksin and Northeastern MPs to meet in Philippines

A number of MPs from the Isaan Patana faction will take their vacation in the Philippines this weekend and may meet with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, MP Paijit Srivarakarn said on Friday.

Paijit said he was uncertain if Thaksin would fly in to meet the MPs although the former prime minister had reportedly made telephone calls for the meeting arrangement.

- The Nation / 2008-11-08

Lao Po, I seriously doubt that visa cancellation notices are sent by diplomatic courier mail. It's not such a big thing, really.

Either way, the message was "intercepted" not on between Home Office and emabissies route, it's when airlines needed to be informed, and I doubt they would be informed by diplomatic mail either. Even if ecrypted, the message was leaked AFTER it was recieved, and, apparently, it was translated into Thai already when it appeared on PAD affiliated sites (that would explained Nation's poor English in online story).

Airlines were 'advised', they can still carry him to London, he can pay his way back if he was refused entry. Normally this kind of people are not allowed to board because it would be airline responsibility if he was stranded. They always check for visas or "good to go" passports before boarding to save themselves troubles later on, but they are not immigration authorities.

The fact that they put Thaksin in this "standard" category shows how much respect they pay to his "former PM" status - he goes through the system like everyone else.

He still has a diplomatic passport, btw, he doesn't need visa to travel on that one, no one can stop him, not on airline level anyway.

Here's the full story in the Nation. Sounds pretty authoritative to me. But Who knows for sure?

ASYLUM SETBACK

UK cancels visas of Thaksin, wife

By The Nation

Published on November 8, 2008

The British Embassy has revoked entry visas of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman.

The cancellation, which was decided while the couple were outside England, has been notified to airlines yesterday.

The decision was made by the United Kingdom Border Agency, and the notification email was signed by Bangkok-based Immigration Liaison Manager Andy Gray.

The email read:

"Dear All,

The United Kingdom Border Agency has revoked the UK visas held by the following Thai nations:

Thaksin Shinawatra. Thai Passport Number D215863

Potjaman Shinawatra. Thai Passport Number D206635

The UK visas contained in the passports of the individuals listed above are no longer valid for travel.

Airlines are advised not to carry these passengers to the UK"

*** end *****

The embassy would not comment on the report. Contacted embassy officials said they "cannot comment on policy matters."

It was a big political blow for Thaksin, who was believed to be on his way from China to the Philippines yesterday. It was understood that the cancellation had to do with the recent court rulings that found Pojaman guilty of tax evasion and Thaksin guilty of breaking the conflict of interest law in the Ratchadapisek land purchase scandal.

Their children's British visas are still valid.

A senior People Power Party politician who has been in China this week answered The Nation's phone contact but replied to the inquiry about Thaksin's visa situation with only "I don't know. I don't know."

Thaksin has always described England as a "democratically mature" country as compared to Thailand. But he always denied having applied for asylum although he said England would be the country where he wanted to live in exile.

Last Saturday, in a controversial long-distance phone-in from Hong Kong, Thaksin accused his political opponents of breaking his family apart. In the same address, he also begged for royal pardon or a popular show of force to bring him back to Thailand.

"Nobody can bring me back to Thailand, except royal kindness of HM the King or the power of the people," Thaksin said. He also claimed that many countries have offered him "honorary citizenship", "which made me a bit sad because I could do many things for anybody else in the world, but nothing now for my country."

The statement triggered a major controversy in Thailand, with Thaksin being accused of trying to drag HM the King into politics. The UK visa move, however, gave Thaksin's statement a whole new perspective, making him sound more like someone desperate to find refuge rather than trying to provoke a political reaction.

It is not immediately known, however, whether Thaksin was aware of the impending visa cancellation before he left England the last time.

A source familiar with the UK legal and diplomatic thinking said the cancellation could have been based on "the different statuses" of Thaksin between the time he was issued the visa and now.

The Supreme Court only found Thaksin guilty in the Ratchadapisek land case late last month, weeks after he fled Thailand during the Beijing Olympics. He fled with his wife, who only days earlier had been found guilty of tax evasion.

England has been under the world community's watchful eyes when Thaksin is concerned. Diplomatic observers have said a decision whether or not to give Thaksin asylum would generate strong ramifications on England's relations with Thailand, as well as London's reputations when democracy, foreign relations and legal principles are concerned.

Wow! What happens next?
"Dear All,

The United Kingdom Border Agency has revoked the UK visas held by the following Thai nations:

Thaksin Shinawatra. Thai Passport Number D215863

Potjaman Shinawatra. Thai Passport Number D206635

The UK visas contained in the passports of the individuals listed above are no longer valid for travel.

Airlines are advised not to carry these passengers to the UK"

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/08/pol...cs_30087916.php

what wonderful news to wake up to this morning, thank the gods for old mother england

ASTV: British Embassy Revokes Thaksin's Visa

PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul announces on PAD stage that the U.K. embassy has revoked the visas of both Thaksin and Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra.

The PAD leader cited a Manager newspaper's report that the embassy has revoked both fugitives' visas. The order reportedly takes effect today.

TOC / 2008-11-08

Wouldn't Sondhi be embarrassed if this turned out to be a hoax?

Naaaaah.

Here's the full story in the Nation. Sounds pretty authoritative to me. But Who knows for sure?

ASYLUM SETBACK

By The Nation

Published on November 8, 2008

The British Embassy has revoked entry visas of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman.

Well to me it sounds as authoritative as Winnie the Pooh.It's a hoax unless I'm much mistaken.I especially relish the quote from diplomatic observers couched in the usual semi-literate Nation house style.England has in reality on this matter only been "under the world community's watchful eyes" in PAD fevered imagination.

Having said that I doubt whether the British authorities would be happy with Thaksin actively engaged in overseas politicking, ie summoning followers to Manila etc.But overall it's amusing to see how easily some people are taken in.

Just received the following text message from B Post:

"Thaksin's spokesman Pongthep said he knows nothing about reports that the British Govt has revoked visas for Thaksin and wife, adding he doesn't know where they are."

"Thaksin's spokesman Pongthep said he knows nothing about reports that the British Govt has revoked visas for Thaksin and wife, adding he doesn't know where they are."

The Personal Spokesman that always seems to be the last to know much of anything about the person he is a Personal Spokesman for...

thumbFilename2_11100722low.jpg

One of 111 banned TRT Party executives, former TRT MP Phongthep Thepkanchana

Thaksin's Spokesman Not Sure about Live Phone-In

Personal spokesperson for former premier Thaksin Shinawatra (TRT Banned #1) says he is still unsure whether his boss will make the planned phone-in to a pro-government gathering tomorrow.

Thaksin Shinawatra's spokesman Pongthep Thepkanjana (TRT Banned #10) said he cannot predict whether Thaksin will make a phone call to the pro-government gathering tomorrow.

Edited by sriracha john

Why you Anti-PAD guy's didn't can wait with your comment's before it's official the Visa's are canceled or not?!

Until the the true fact's are official, any comment, pro or contra, is just a fiction and if the info's are true, you show your self to be on the same or even below level than the humans you guy's had named PAD-Mod on Thaivisa.

Interestingly in this is, that the PAD supporters not called the pro Gov or Thaksin supporters to be a Mob!

Cheers.

It could be a hoax, but it's impossible it was a delibirate move by PAD itself.

At this point the airlines can easily deny ever receiving such instructions. I'm sure Thai journalist community is not sitting idly, but it's weekend and no one would officially deny or confirm anything without senior management consent.

Cancelling Thaksin's visa after conviction is the most natural decision, his status has clearly changed. I think not to cancel it would be against UK's rules and regulations. The fact that he was out of the country is very helpful indeed, I don't think they can revoke his visa after he was allowed in.

>>>

I think we can start thinking what effect it will have on Thai government - it seems UK has shown more respect to Thai judicial system than Thais themselves. Somchai will be under enourmous pressure to cancel their diplomatic passports if he wants to maintain any semblance of legitimacy. And if he doesn't - he must be removed rather sooner than later, and if PAD decides that taking him to court for dereliction of duty is a waste of time, so be it.

Why you Anti-PAD guy's didn't can wait with your comment's before it's official the Visa's are canceled or not?!

Until the the true fact's are official, any comment, pro or contra, is just a fiction and if the info's are true, you show your self to be on the same or even below level than the humans you guy's had named PAD-Mod on Thaivisa.

Interestingly in this is, that the PAD supporters not called the pro Gov or Thaksin supporters to be a Mob!

Cheers.

What a bizarre post.It's nothing to do with being PAD or anti-PAD.Actually I agree with Plus that it's highly unlikely that PAD had anything to do with this.And with respect it requires a first class knowledge of English idiom to see that there is something very odd about the Nation report.

I have no idea on the validity of this report but I would have thought that any withdrawal of visa for someone of their status would have been issued by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and not a junior member of the British Embassy in Bangkok. Just my thoughts.

Again, forget the suspence for a moment, even if it turns out to be a hoax, it will draw attention to Somchai's inaction following the court ruling. Something he prefers to be kept under the rags.

Not anymore.

Tomorrow the media will be filled with various speculations, it's on all news talk shows already.

The only argument Somchais can say in his defence is "But he is my brother". He seems to follow footsteps of former elections commissioners, certain laywers, and most recently Samak. End of the road.