Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

Brits living in Thailand, or hoping to move to Thailand ought to consider is this a good thing for them?

Only a fool would believe Thaksin is Down and Counted Out.

When he gets back up again, which I have no doubt he will, he'll be in position to take the kind of vindictive measures for which he is famed.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel very uneasy about this. Irrespective of the personal situation with thaksin, revoking someones visa when their home is in the country seems a very cowboy, third world response to me. In addition they have not revoked childrens visas, so just break up the family. None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

Anyway, I suppose just a further slide into mediocrity and deterioration in moral fibre, what more to expect from this corrupt and morally bankrupt UK government. Just remenber, it couild be you next time.

That's just how it appears to you Benjamat. Look at it another way, he will probably have been told this was coming, so it gave him time to get out............

If you really think that the UK has a morally bankrupt government, can you name, say, ten other countries who have better governments?

If you dropped 12 blank passports in Bangkok, 3 each from countries in N.America, South America, The Uk and Asia, which country's passport would be taken first?

Whilst the UK's may not be the first, it sure as hel_l wouldnt be the last.

The UK has a huge HUGE problem with immigration. Why is that? If it's such a despicable country, why are people quite literally queuing to get in? Why do they pay and take the risk to be smuggled in? I'll tell you why buddy, because it's a better country than the one they were born in, that;s why.

I say BRAVO to the UK. Get him out and keep him out. He is too hot a potato to handle. Now it becomes someone else's problem. Why the hel_l should the UK have to worry about how to handle an ex-diplomat who is now a convicted criminal.

Anyway, I suppose just a further slide into mediocrity and deterioration in moral fibre, what more to expect from this corrupt and morally bankrupt UK government. Just remenber, it couild be you next time.

I'll try and remember not to commit any large-scale human rights violations in the future, just in case I get my visa revoked.

Seriously benjamat, you really think revoking the visas of convicted criminals represents 'a deterioration in moral fibre?'

This is a weird story. Do you think it might be fabricated?

Most likely fabricated.

I did a search:

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-relea...s#searchResults

Very odd The Nation publish this without double checking the ''news''.

LaoPo

Knowing the way the UK Govt works, they would not put anything about this online. Probably, if you called the press office, they'd give the same answer: "Sorry, but we don't discuss individual cases." That's the policy. So the fact that "Thaksin" draws a blank on the Border Agency website means nothing either way.

Brits living in Thailand, or hoping to move to Thailand ought to consider is this a good thing for them?

Only a fool would believe Thaksin is Down and Counted Out.

When he gets back up again, which I have no doubt he will, he'll be in position to take the kind of vindictive measures for which he is famed.

My thoughts entirely Guesthouse. As i wrote in a previous post maybe his brother in law will take retribution on his behalf. I do agree with the UK Governments stand though we should not be harbouring criminals whoever they are.

Cheers, Rick

Gordon Brown is not just another pretty face. He sees no benefit in picking a fight with Thailand over a convicted felon so he finessed the situation by waiting until Thaksin was out of the UK, canceling his visa thus avoiding a messy extradition fight and the attendant expense and diplomatic embarrassment. I am sure that there was more than one back channel communication from a British ally that letting Thaksin stay in the UK would prove uncomfortable for the British Foreign Office.

So its official now, Thaksin and his wife have had there visa revoked whilst out of the UK.

I dont think that anyone knows the full story about what is happening politically in thailand, least of all the thais, yet the UK border agency sees fit to revoke the visa of someone who has homes in the UK and children with visas that are still valid.

What worries me about this is the UK acting in a way that is more reminiscent of some cowboy regime. Wait for someone to leave the country and then revoke their visa stopping them returning !!

I dont comment on the merits of the general case that thaksin is involved in, I simply dont know, but to act like this shows a further descent into moral degeneracy (?) by this bankrupt UK government.

I wonder if we expats will pay the price for this later, maybe in retaliation.

I wouldnt want this to happen to my thai wife.

If you are the guest of a foreign country, never embarrass that country or its government.

The asylum application while his own party ran a country always meant trouble for the appeal as British law has precedent unlike here, and the Britsh government would certainly not want to legally open up the "I fled from a friendly government but need asylum because I may be jailed on criminal charges route, which forgetting the emotive side and looking at purely legal technical aspects is exactly what it was. Now this potential headache can be avoided. The outcome of the asylum appeal would have had repurcussions for all future asylum seekers in the UK and opened a previously well shut door if Thaksin had been granted asylum.

A government also has the right to revoke a visa without notice and without reason, and if the person is not in the country they have little chance of appeal.

I guess Thaksin could request another visa at a consulate for other reasons and still be considred although I understand this procedure will be difficult if he has already broken visa regulations and if a convicted criminal. From what is being reported it seems Thaksin may have a passport/passports for another country other than Thailand. If this is the case he still has a home even if he cannot return to Thailand for fear of arrest.

I agree, his phone-in pretty much sealed the deal. Fleeing was also a bad idea. Perhaps running afoul of the law also.

Last month when we all talked about this the majority of dialogue was against the UK allowing him to stay.

It's better for him to return and serve the time willingly, you can't run forever if you truly want to be home.

As a politician, he has failed. It seems like before him, there was nowhere near the division you see now.

Promising this or that reaction to his actions, or his fate, simply underlines the division, that in some minds, he caused by his actions.

-Is he a misunderstood genius?

-A beguiling trickster?

-A mogul gone rogue?

-A simple man, humbled by tribulation?

-A savior of the poor, who made an honest mistake or three?

-An agent of rich outsiders, who almost got full control?

-An effective leader, surrounded by mayhem?

Everyone's got an opinion, but indeed, the tables appear to have finally turned against him in a definitive way. So long as his compelling story runs it's course, the unity Thailand so desperately needs will remain on the back burner, as precious time ticks away.

He's a distraction. This is the problem with symbols like his "public image". They are not the real thing, they are just a referent. What does this man really want out of all this? Who is he really? Why is his particular fate so intriguing the the 1500+ reading this at the moment?

Much of the world is falling to bits before our eyes, -are there simply now too many people, too few resources, and too much of an imbalance in power and influence?

Long Live The King.

:o At least we can all agree on that much.

Seems like YH doesn't know the British establishment as well as he thought!

Looks that way I agree.Another bad call on my part.If I had a hat I would eat it!

But I wonder what the background story is?

YH it could well be as simple as when you apply for asylum you throw yourself on the mercy of the host government. If I rememeber correctly, and I have known people granted asylum, when you apply you cannot travel all over the world. You probably need to ask the permission of the government you are appying with and give reason as travel can indicate you may not need asylum in the said country.

No doubt there are also underlying and unsaid reasons but we will never ever really know beyond the technical if that is even confirmed as there is no obligation on the British authorities to give a reason.

The British government wont miss the headache I am sure although quite how this affects the status of Brits in Thailand is open to question as Thaksin is known to be a tad vengeful :o

I feel very uneasy about this. Irrespective of the personal situation with thaksin, revoking someones visa when their home is in the country seems a very cowboy, third world response to me. In addition they have not revoked childrens visas, so just break up the family. None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

That's just how it appears to you Benjamat. Look at it another way, he will probably have been told this was coming, so it gave him time to get out............

If you really think that the UK has a morally bankrupt government, can you name, say, ten other countries who have better governments?

If you dropped 12 blank passports in Bangkok, 3 each from countries in N.America, South America, The Uk and Asia, which country's passport would be taken first?

Whilst the UK's may not be the first, it sure as hel_l wouldnt be the last.

The UK has a huge HUGE problem with immigration. Why is that? If it's such a despicable country, why are people quite literally queuing to get in? Why do they pay and take the risk to be smuggled in? I'll tell you why buddy, because it's a better country than the one they were born in, that;s why.

I say BRAVO to the UK. Get him out and keep him out. He is too hot a potato to handle. Now it becomes someone else's problem. Why the hel_l should the UK have to worry about how to handle an ex-diplomat who is now a convicted criminal.

Whilst I understand what you are saying I dont think the argument about which passport you would chose is valid.

I am not saying in any way that in the end it is not the right course of action, I am saying that to do it in this way is wrong.

To say that it is ok to do something because others may do it does not seem the way to maintain standards as far as I am concerned. Everything that is going on in the UK at this time is being done with a view to the general election in 2 years and not from the point of moral standards.

The UK does not in fact have a huge problem with immigration, it has a long term problem in the way it has and is being handled. For example in 2007 more people left the UK than came in but of course this does not make a good "sun" headline.

The UK recently changed the rules concerning immigration and skilled workers. This was billed as a major move to limit immigration in order to garner headlines and appeal to the baser instincts of the british people. In fact these changes only apply to around 15 % of immigrants, the other 85% are from the EU and other special countries and these can come and go at will including claiming benefits immediately.

The immigration problem is a politocal one.

Edited by benjamat

Why is his particular fate so intriguing the the 1500+ reading this at the moment?

Because he still pulls the strings of the PPP party, the current party in power in Thailand? Not to mention the classic human interest of watching a TRAIN WRECK. He is Thailand's answer to OJ Simpson.

I wonder if anyone has told him yet.... the loss of face factor here must be imense.
Is he the type to kill the messenger? Edited by Jingthing

Its new for me , that Thaksin and his wife are Thai nations .....instead of nationals ..... :o

Think its a poor written article , but is it true ?

If you want to take the piss out of somebody having bad English make sure yours is up to scratch. Idiot.

Think its a poor written article , but is it true ?

I think it's a poorly written article, but is it true?

oh come on get over it, i was under the impression that this was a form to discuss matters thai not a blood english lesson

Well Khun Toxin the ugly little bent chinaman deserves it as he quadrupled visa charges to foreigners in Thailand so i hear "som nam na" is it as the thais say. "he gets what he deserves" what goes around comes around.

Ugly little twisted speck of a man. Cancer on him and his.

drop the racist crap ... ugh

Taksin and wife most definately did go to Beijing, do a google search and there are many hits on the trip. It makes perfect sence that London would revoke his visa, yes while in UK it's a messy job to extradite, that's why they would take the easy route to rid themselves of this messy situation, some of the waffle that goes onto these threads is mind-boggling.

All the Brits reading this thread should be thanking their lucky stars, I'm pretty sure there would have been repurcutions over allowing him to stay in UK, the Thai immigration isn't the friendliest of systems at the best of times.

Yes its official now, on the BBC.

Benjamat , i think you are out to lunch on this one , his home IS NOT in the country , he HAS A HOUSE there(same as expats in Thailand) . They did not BREAK UP THE FAMILY , the children (who happen to be adults) can follow the parents whenever they wish . It is irrespective of what natives of Thailand think .

You live in Thailand at this present time (?) it could be you next time .Keep asmoliong at the immigration man and keep your nose clean .

Thaksin has not applied for asylum in UK, or if he had it wouldn't have yet been granted, the current waiting time is 2+ years. Therefore he was on a simple visitors visa, the same as most of your tgf's can get.

It amazes me that having a direct attack on Thaksin the only thing 1 posty came up with is he quadrupled the cost of visas in Thailand during his reign, let me remind you that 2 yrs ago a fiancee/marraige visa to UK was 150 quid, the next day it was 300.

Try this one if you want to have a dig at the scum-bag, when he came into power he was worth 60billion baht, at the time of is ousting he was worth 260billion baht, yes that's approx 5 times (that's not including the wealth his kids built-up) now I know he was prime-minister and the rate of interest was around 5% during his reign, but doing the sums, I can't quite work out where it all came from - Oh I know he was F*KIN CORRUPT

Why are some concerned about Thaksin and his families well being? He and his wife are both convicted criminals and rightfully should not be allowed in England for any reason at all. Back in July of this year, they denied entry to Martha Stewart for her conviction of illegal stock sales. Their reasoning was very simple, and the Shinawattra's are no exception to the rule:

"We continue to oppose the entry to the UK of individuals where we believe their presence in the United Kingdom is not conducive to the public good or where they have been found guilty of serious criminal offenses abroad." Reuters

Regarding their children. Who cares. Thaksin and Pojamon continued to break laws for many years. If they truly were that concerned about their kids, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. They alone broke their family apart, not England's laws, and they alone can only point fingers at themselves. No sympathy for any of the Shinawattra clan. Som-na-na

Edited by frodo

None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

He is a wanted, convicted criminal in Thailand. If its OK for Thaksin to be above the law of his country, I guess you favor giving the same benefit of the doubt to all convicted crims here?