Walking Street A.k.a. Running The Gauntlet

cali4995

C'mon now, in the past walking street had like a festival atmosphere? Now it's

resembling kind of a freak show? Snakes, monkeys, little kids throwing themselves

at your ankles? Ladymen pawing at you from both sides of the street, that small

alley that connects marine disco with marine plaza looks like skid row? Adults with

babies sleeping everywhere. Hey whatever, just some observations but just <deleted>

is the point of having 20 police officers at the entrance of Walking street if they're

not policing anything? Who is in charge? Crikey, they should give you a t-shirt for

making it from one end to the other? Flowers getting shoved in you face. Yuck. :o

Edited by cali4995

C'mon now, in the past walking street had like a festival atmosphere? Now it's

resembling kind of a freak show? Snakes, monkeys, little kids throwing themselves

at your ankles? Ladymen pawing at you from both sides of the street, that small

alley that connects marine disco with marine plaza looks like skid row? Adults with

babies sleeping everywhere. Hey whatever, just some observations but just <deleted>

is the point of having 20 police officers at the entrance of Walking street if they're

not policing anything? Who is in charge? Crikey, they should give you a t-shirt for

making it from one end to the other? Flowers getting shoved in you face. Yuck. :D

soi 8 used to be worse in the old days,especially the grabbing and "sexy man" bullshit.

but i agree <deleted> are people allowed with babies out begging early morning etc,and those ***** ***** with flowers watch them as they are pickpockets...they shove the flowers into you with one hand and steal wallet/phone with other...got me one night when really bolloxed now i spot there hand and shove them away...*****

they could really improve walking street if they wanted but they dont really want as iti s a large income for them but if some hang about a little bit then some tourists will think they making an effort :o

Edited by soundman
Removed excessive profanity.

...entrance of Walking street if they're not policing anything? Who is in charge? Crikey, they should give you a t-shirt for making it from one end to the other?

You are correct - they do give you a Black T-Shirt.

Is it illegal to busk/perform in walking street. If not, why have a go at the police and why deny someone the right to make a living? I'm sure the mother of the child selling flowers would prefer not to be doing this. But they have to eat. Or as is becoming too wide spread, get a fix. Which no doubt has been exacerbated by visitng farangs, going back to Vietnam war days.

I also find it annoying, but's that's the way it is. No need to reminisce over the way things used to be. Everything changes, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

You are a visitor, if you don't like it don't go there.

Is it illegal to busk/perform in walking street. If not, why have a go at the police and why deny someone the right to make a living? I'm sure the mother of the child selling flowers would prefer not to be doing this. But they have to eat. Or as is becoming too wide spread, get a fix. Which no doubt has been exacerbated by visitng farangs, going back to Vietnam war days.

I also find it annoying, but's that's the way it is. No need to reminisce over the way things used to be. Everything changes, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

You are a visitor, if you don't like it don't go there.

The beggars and others are not as they appear but instead a ruthless organized gang controlling the takes from the streets with al the uniformed ones in the game.

Sad but true.

The beggars and others are not as they appear but instead a ruthless organized gang controlling the takes from the streets with al the uniformed ones in the game.

Sad but true.

And how do you know this?

Some people seem to think that everyone in the entire city is a member of some kind of "mafia".

The "Baht Bus Mafia"

The "Moto-taxi Mafia"

The "Metered Taxi Mafia"

The "Police Mafia"

The "Flower Sellers and Picture Takers Mafia" (with their sub-branch, the "Children's Gum and Lighter Selling Mafia")

The "Check-Out Cashiers Collective Mafia"

The "Double Pricing for Farang Tourists Mafia"

The "Indian Tailor Mafia"

The "Time Share Touts That Ram Expats With Motos to Try and Sell Them Time Shares Mafia"

And of course, perhaps the best known of them all, the "Sweet, Innocent, Farm Girls from Isaan That Take Advantage of Dumb-Assed Farangs Mafia".

These are but a few of the "Mafias" that various people whine about all the time. There are more, because as I mentioned, some seem to think everyone in the city is out to get them one way or another. I'm sure there must be a "Beauty Salon Mafia", a "Street Vendor Mafia", "Gold Shop Mafia", "Beggars Mafia", and probably even a "Poor People That Collect Recyclables From Trash Cans Mafia".

The real Mafia (Costa Nostra) must be embarrassed as all hel_l every time they hear about another "Pattaya Mafia". :o

Sad but true.

Some people seem to think that everyone in the entire city is a member of some kind of "mafia".

The "Baht Bus Mafia"

The "Moto-taxi Mafia"

The "Metered Taxi Mafia"

The "Police Mafia"

The "Flower Sellers and Picture Takers Mafia" (with their sub-branch, the "Children's Gum and Lighter Selling Mafia")

The "Time Share Touts That Ram Expats With Motos to Try and Sell Them Time Shares Mafia"

And of course, perhaps the best known of them all, the "Sweet, Innocent, Farm Girls from Isaan That Take Advantage of Dumb-Assed Farangs Mafia".

These are but a few of the "Mafias" that various people whine about all the time. There are more, because as I mentioned, some seem to think everyone in the city is out to get them one way or another. I'm sure there must be a "Beauty Salon Mafia", a "Street Vendor Mafia", "Gold Shop Mafia", "Beggars Mafia", and probably even a "Poor People That Collect Recyclables From Trash Cans Mafia".

The real Mafia (Costa Nostra) must be embarrassed as all hel_l every time they hear about another "Pattaya Mafia". :o

i agree the word mafia is used too easily here in pattaya but the thai use the term for any bad person or connected to the bad people.

lets be honest though there is more organised crime here than the italian mafia could shake a stick at...normally they have a connection in the police that helps them in there activities......here the crime is organised by those who are supposed to be stopping the crime :D .

even though the bib are paid peanuts i aint seen a poor copper here yet......hmmmmmm

They're not all as innocent as some think. Some little boy, MAYBE 5 or 6 years old went

over to a huge scandanavian guy, grabbed his leg and got swatted away as if he were an

annoying insect. The kid runs back to his "handler" she yells at him and points out yet

another farang for him to go pounce on. They shouldn't allow it. And you can see how

this creates all kinds of problems with partying farangs at 2am. It's a business for them. :o

The reason that the term Mafia gets used is because it is very easy to get murdered in Pattaya. All you have to do is accidentally cause a Thai to lose face and you might get hit for it.

Life is so cheap that they don't seem to care if you live or die, as long as they take your money and you lose.

So, one must take extra care when dealing with any of these folks. It doesn't matter if they are Mafia or Jackassesss, or simple criminals......

Edited by innovator

I've never found Walking Street all that difficult to negotiate. Sure, like everyone else I get flowers shoved in my face and the odd kid latching on to my leg but it never spoils my evening.

When I read this post, the old expression "making mountains out of molehills" came to mind.

Edited by tropo

I agree with the OP that Walking Street has become home to a whole host of unsavoury characters, however I can't believe long-stay ex-pats go there on a regular basis. I hate going there, I only visit Walking Street when friends (tourists) are over here on holiday.

Any long-stay ex-pats who go there on a regular basis are simpletons or C-struck morons who don't know where the really good places are in Pattaya.

I agree with the OP that Walking Street has become home to a whole host of unsavoury characters, however I can't believe long-stay ex-pats go there on a regular basis. I hate going there, I only visit Walking Street when friends (tourists) are over here on holiday.

Any long-stay ex-pats who go there on a regular basis are simpletons or C-struck morons who don't know where the really good places are in Pattaya.

Then why don't you take your friends(tourists) to those really good places instead of getting them involved with the c-struck morons on walking street.

Sad but true.

The "Baht Bus Mafia"

The "Moto-taxi Mafia"

The "Metered Taxi Mafia"

The "Police Mafia"

You forgot the number one mafia

Its the, We think we know it all about Pattaya on Thaivisa Mafia. loads of them :D

BTW the word Mafia is used in Thailand for all sorts of people.

not like the uderstanding of the word mafia to a westerner. same same but diferent :D

Have a nice day. :D

Then why don't you take your friends(tourists) to those really good places instead of getting them involved with the c-struck morons on walking street.

No way! The good places are not for visiting tourists, who speak no Thai. Walking Street is a tourist-trap, lambs to the slaughter. Ho Ho Ho.

Sad but true.

The "Baht Bus Mafia"

The "Moto-taxi Mafia"

The "Metered Taxi Mafia"

The "Police Mafia"

:D:D:D

Funniest thing I've read years. So true.

not like the uderstanding of the word mafia to a westerner. same same but diferent :o

Are you sure they use the English word "mafia" in Thailand? Perhaps you mean they us a Thai word which someone has incorrectly translated into the English work "mafia".

I've never hear the word used anywhere other than in the Pattaya Thaivisa forum. I think there are too many jaded long time expats with nothing to do but complain. They forgot the reason why they came in the first place.

soi 8 used to be worse in the old days,especially the grabbing and "sexy man" bullshit.

Whaddaya mean BS !!!!!! Don't tell me that I've been lied to over the years. :D

not sure about you but they were lying to me :o

Maybe not. I always thought they were referring to the size of your wallet. :D

not like the uderstanding of the word mafia to a westerner. same same but diferent :o

Are you sure they use the English word "mafia" in Thailand? Perhaps you mean they us a Thai word which someone has incorrectly translated into the English work "mafia".

I've never hear the word used anywhere other than in the Pattaya Thaivisa forum. I think there are too many jaded long time expats with nothing to do but complain. They forgot the reason why they came in the first place.

ive definitely heard the word mafia outside of the tv forum as when i first came here i was surprised the crime was so organised, as was told mafia controlled this and that,then realised they just used the term for any criminal or bad person. i just asked the mrs where the word comes from and she dont know but has heard it used for a long time.....someone on the thai news must have used the english word at some point or probably from the bar scene years ago where easier for a thai girl to say mafia than criminal !!!

Sad but true.

It’s common practice in LOS. Ask your wife or the Thais.

There was a report on Thai TV about 1 year ago condemning this but as always nobody wants to tackle the roots, if you get my drift.

Most female beggars are not even Thai and definitely don’t have a work permit. The guy in front of Royal Garden is annoying falangs for years now collecting “Boy scout” donations. Now you got the fake monks joining in.

Ever asked yourself why this is tolerated?

http://www.gregtodiffer.com/2008/07/21/bangkok-beggars-the-good-the-bad-and-the-fake/

I’m not referring to it as Mafia in the way this popular saying goes. It was here long before Thais started using this slang for organized crime.

People (farang) have come to use th eword mafia becasue its what the Thai's use and understand to describe a gaggle of criminals small or large. We as farang have sort of glomed on to this. It describes all facets of organized crime from a small group of punks on bikes or moto-drivers, scions of the meth world and everything in between.