Creosote

GUANO

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any creosote (the dark smelly stuff that you put on sheds and fences) in Chiang Mai? We are recovering our bmx ramps and need something to preserve the wood. I asked around a few places today but no luck. Creosote would be ideal though any wood preservative, that soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top, should be ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Guano

Please be very careful if you decide to go ahead and use creosote s it is believed to be carcinogenic. I certainly wouldn't be letting any children or pets anywhere near the stuff.

Just a friendly warning.

Regards, L.Ken

Once cured it has virtually zero effect. The below is a study from people handling it every day.

Apply in the open air, and allow a week to cure in the sun.

CREOSOTE and Health

The potential for creosote to produce adverse health effects has been well-studied in laboratory testing and in human populations with occupational exposure to creosote.

The weight of evidence suggests that creosote does not pose significant cancer or other health risk to workers aside from skin conditions likely associated with chronic irritation and phototoxicity.

Source....http://www.creosotecouncil.org/health.html

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any creosote (the dark smelly stuff that you put on sheds and fences) in Chiang Mai? We are recovering our bmx ramps and need something to preserve the wood. I asked around a few places today but no luck. Creosote would be ideal though any wood preservative, that soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top, should be ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Guano

Guano.... Are you building a private or public bmx ramp? Always love to watch! Good luck finding your creosote.

Thanks for all your help, and concerns! If it's very smelly I will probably wear a respirator.

Does anyone know what they call creosote in Thai? I asked them for a smelly oily liquid that you put on wood to protect it from sun and rain. One that doesn't sit on top of the wood (I could see a few reaching for the varnish) but soaks into it. they understood my broken Thai, but the closest thing I found was linseed oil.

T_Dog, Yeah it's a public bmx ramp. Though not like the government ones back home. This is handmade. Everyone chips in 10b a session (riding) to help cover the cost of maintenance and improvements. Watching is free of course. Though excessive heckling may incur a fine!

Does anyone know what they call creosote in Thai?

You might print this out and show it to them > น้ำมันสีน้ำตาล (ใช้ทารักษาเนื้อไม้)

The first is "nahm mahn si nahm dtahn" essentially brown oil. The 2nd part means "Used to coat and treat/preserve wood"