Club-type Anti Theft Device

MattFS218

I'm going on a Road trip to Laos in December, and want to take my car. Being that my comprehensive car insurance isn't valid in Lao, I want to purchase an anti-theft device.

I'm wondering where I can pick up one of the steering wheel type locks in Thailand. In the US the brand name is "The Club". Has anyone seen this sold in Thailand? If so, where I can pick one up? The Tesco Lotus in Nongkhai did not have anything. Any mail order places? Thanks.

--matt

I'm going on a Road trip to Laos in December, and want to take my car. Being that my comprehensive car insurance isn't valid in Lao, I want to purchase an anti-theft device.

I'm wondering where I can pick up one of the steering wheel type locks in Thailand. In the US the brand name is "The Club". Has anyone seen this sold in Thailand? If so, where I can pick one up? The Tesco Lotus in Nongkhai did not have anything. Any mail order places? Thanks.

--matt

Yes, steering wheel locking devices are available in Thailand. If not Lotus look around for automotive accessory stores.

You should purchase Lao insurance when you cross the border.

The 'club' is almost worthless as an anti-theft device. It only takes about 45 seconds to saw through a steering wheel and remove the 'club'.

Brake / gearshift locks provide more resistance to disabling.

I recently had the Carryboy 3 lock installed. It's pretty sweet. It has 3 separate locks each with its own deterrents. It locks the gas, brake, and clutch. It would take an incredibly determined thief and a lot of time to steal a car with one of those locks!

Aloha