Buying Fish Food

mellow1

A bag of 30% protein fish food is at 500 Baht. Do any of you buy directly from the manufacturer? If so, give details. How else do you keep your cost down, and still provide a well balanced feeding strategy?

Mellow,

Yes I buy "indirectly" from the manufacturer as part of a group. It has to do with knowing someone within the supplier company and getting the product onto a truck heading in your direction. It also has to do with tonnage. As to cost saving, up to 20% by this route.

If you live near a feed mill, go and do a deal. Elsewise, make your own. In the case of fish food you may have the issue of pellitising for float or sink etc.. I intend to make my own feeds in the near future and have grown some of the crops needed. There are plenty of dietary notes on the internet to work from.

Isaanaussie

A bag of 30% protein fish food is at 500 Baht. Do any of you buy directly from the manufacturer? If so, give details. How else do you keep your cost down, and still provide a well balanced feeding strategy?

Even more expensive if it isn't full of melamine.

Mellow,

Yes I buy "indirectly" from the manufacturer as part of a group. It has to do with knowing someone within the supplier company and getting the product onto a truck heading in your direction. It also has to do with tonnage. As to cost saving, up to 20% by this route.

If you live near a feed mill, go and do a deal. Elsewise, make your own. In the case of fish food you may have the issue of pellitising for float or sink etc.. I intend to make my own feeds in the near future and have grown some of the crops needed. There are plenty of dietary notes on the internet to work from.

Isaanaussie

Making my own feed would be a quite expensive project. The machinery is costly, and I am not at a stage where laying out that kind of money is the sensible thing to do. Only have 2 ponds and some small RAS's I'm experimenting with.