Traveling To Thailand

wswain

I don't know where you are coming from .... but the power in Thailand is different than where I moved from ... a laptop runs of dc and has a built in transformer for charging .... PC's typically are not adaptable

I don't know where you are coming from .... but the power in Thailand is different than where I moved from ... a laptop runs of dc and has a built in transformer for charging .... PC's typically are not adaptable

Many of the branded PCs aren't adaptable, though a few do have switches on the power supply for 110/220 volt However any 'generic' PC and some others with a separate power supply module (metal box) inside the case can be converted as a lowish price. The unit just screws into the case and connects to the motherboard, drives etc via plugs and sockets. Of course, for Thailand you need 220/240 volts coming in; the DC out will be standard. I once brought in a PC by air with the system unit in my suitcase and the monitor in a separate cardboard box. Didn't have any problems.

Many of the branded PCs aren't adaptable, though a few do have switches on the power supply for 110/220 volt However any 'generic' PC and some others with a separate power supply module (metal box) inside the case can be converted as a lowish price. The unit just screws into the case and connects to the motherboard, drives etc via plugs and sockets. Of course, for Thailand you need 220/240 volts coming in; the DC out will be standard. I once brought in a PC by air with the system unit in my suitcase and the monitor in a separate cardboard box. Didn't have any problems.

but then you have the monitors etc .....

just not worth the hassle ....

Ok thanks for the replys, sounds like a laptop will just have to do. Now about the Xbox is it better to buy one there? I would still like to play online if possible? Coming from the US.

Edited by wswain

you can buy any gadgets you want in bkk and prolly they'll be cheaper than your country, certainly are when comparing europe & australia. you can play online but be aware that internet connection is not that fast and bit dodgy outside main cities. In any case enjoy your stay

Ok thanks for the replys, sounds like a laptop will just have to do. Now about the Xbox is it better to buy one there? I would still like to play online if possible? Coming from the US.

Your Xbox will have the same power issues (and anything else that you plug in will too unless it is dual voltage or runs off a transformer/dc

It is very easy to install a replacement power supply in a PC.

My PC has just been upgraded and is now fully latest spec, worth around £1000. I would certainly not just write it off to buy new in Los.

you can buy any gadgets you want in bkk and prolly they'll be cheaper than your country, certainly are when comparing europe & australia. you can play online but be aware that internet connection is not that fast and bit dodgy outside main cities. In any case enjoy your stay

These days it is not the case that everything is cheaper in los.

Try this website to compare prices uk/los.

www.dabs.com

These days it is not the case that everything is cheaper in los.

Try this website to compare prices uk/los.

www.dabs.com

Don't know Oz prices, but I pay less in Germany than LOS, and no voltage issues.

US stuff fries nicely :-)

You can bring it with you and not pay duty if you can show it is secondhand, although 2 monitors might be stretching it a bit. I have done it several times, but as previously posed you may need to have the powersupply changed.

I did things the other way around. I boutht a Sony Vaio laptop in Chiang Mai; and the equivalent in America is cheaper. I bought a convertable plug in Thailand. The voltage automaticlly converts in these new digital devices. I could've bought a new adapter in America but didn't wanna spend $120 and this connector worked fine always. Got it repaired in America easily since it was a Sony even though that model was only distributed in Thailand and Australia.

I don't know what the plug on an XBox looks like but if it's detachable all you need to do is buy a new plug here. Thailand is Playstation-ville and I never saw a singlee X-Box there from 04-06. And yep, a laptop is the way to go. Like I said, the voltage automatically converts, just like ipods.

Hope my reverse experience helps.

Also, electronics cost more in Thailand because they are imported. An XBox will definetly cost you more. I would try to bargain saying how these things were cheaper in America and they would show me their own manuals with list prices.

Edited by Tyree D.

A: certainly NOT by putting your valuables in checked baggage. I had a motherboard completely destroyed due to extremely rough handling. Not a pretty sight. You might send a parcel, using insulation foam to protect the content in addition to the usual bubble wrap etc. and carry the X-Box in the hand luggage.

I don't know what the plug on an XBox looks like but if it's detachable all you need to do is buy a new plug here. .

I don' t know what kind of power supply the US X-box has, but in general be careful of just changing plugs without making sure that the power supply is of the right voltage or is the universal type. Actually moving from Europe to Thailand is no problem in terms of voltage, and it is mainly the North Americans who have to worry. Paradoxically the 2 pin US-style plug (for 110v) fits nicely into most Thai style (220v) sockets and - as we have seen on previous threads - that is where the trouble starts!

I brought 2 Pc's from England - wrapped them in clothes and put them in two suitcases. No problems. I thought they might get nicked but they didn't ! Power supply is not an issue for me, in any case its easy to change the PSU if you have to. I just replaced a blown up PSU and the unit cost me 300 baht to buy.

As for an X Box - whats one of those ? - something out of Area 51 ??? LOL

I don't know what the plug on an XBox looks like but if it's detachable all you need to do is buy a new plug here. .

I don' t know what kind of power supply the US X-box has, but in general be careful of just changing plugs without making sure that the power supply is of the right voltage or is the universal type. Actually moving from Europe to Thailand is no problem in terms of voltage, and it is mainly the North Americans who have to worry. Paradoxically the 2 pin US-style plug (for 110v) fits nicely into most Thai style (220v) sockets and - as we have seen on previous threads - that is where the trouble starts!

Here in Korea I'm using a converter and I just looked...it is 110 to 220. (insert whew smiley here)But it's only two pins and not the bottom round one. My laptop is from Thailand so it already had the right pins which is all over Asia but the sockets here don't have the vertical pins. I bought it here but they are all over the internet. I think my external HD is universal but I'm not taking my chances, which I can't anyway because the sockets are Asian-version only.

Edited by Tyree D.

Mate, even old me likes the video games but coming to Bangkok for a month, believe me, there are many other friendlier enjoyable attractions for you to play with while here. Leave the online stuff until you get back home :o

Mate, even old me likes the video games but coming to Bangkok for a month, believe me, there are many other friendlier enjoyable attractions for you to play with while here. Leave the online stuff until you get back home :o

Yep but they cost you a hel_l of a lot more than on line:)

I have a voltage converter/stabiliser that plugs into 240 volts and comes out 120 volts but also keeps the voltage from damaging your equipment from voltage 'Surges' , it has worked fine for 3 years now , those cheapy B500 ones just eat your electronics .

Have no idea about the underlining but will check after this post .