Apirak Guilty Of Corruption

george

Prapat yet to decide on joining race

Prapat Chongsanguan, a former Bangkok Governor candidate backed by the ruling PPP, remains undecided over whether to re-contest a fresh governor election following Apirak Kosayodhin's decision to resign from the post. Prapat, who finished second in the Oct 5 governor election, yesterday said he had not yet decided whether to run for the post again as he wanted to return to his former office, the Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA). The former MRTA governor said he wanted to speed up construction of the MRTA's planned mass transit projects because they had been delayed. Apirak was re-elected in a landslide victory on Oct 5. The Democrat Party yesterday gave Deputy Party Leader Korn Chatikavanij three days to decide whether he would contest the election. A source said if Mr Korn chose to stay away, the party would back Ong-art Khampaiboon, a Democrat MP for Bangkok, to enter the race.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/141108_News/14Nov2008_news05.php

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much rice, not enough protein?

Sorry J., couldn't help it. :o

I think even the least powerful / poorest farmer cares if he is being ripped off by the bosses

When you see them come to Bkk to protest it sure shows they care.

But it is most seen as dealing with one direct issue

and not the gigantic amorphous corruption issue itself.

SJ yeah I was thinking the same thing about the re-title this AM.

The average rural peasant in his bucolic paradise has been taking it up the tailpipe for centuries from all sorts of overlords.

He remains a proto-feudalist, and if you said to him....

"What do you care about more, being shafted by your middleman over the amount of broken rice grains in one of your sacks or some guy selling his conglomerate tech company to the Singaporeans and adjusting the tax legislation to accomodate it."

We all know what pragmatic answer he'll give.

i.e he hates corruption when its directed at him. If he's one/two/three steps removed he's fatalistic enough to think there's little he can do about it, so why should he get angry.

As he learns that his vote might make a difference (that dawning realisation might take decades), then his mentality will evolve.

Educated urban people stamping their feet and accusing the average peasant of imbecility aren't going to make that slow process any quicker. Their time would be far better spent educating the people upcountry than blocking the streets of Bangkok, acting like a nuisance in town, and preaching to the converted.

Edited by Journalist

... i'd also like you to justify your sweeping comment that voters don't give a 'rat's ass' about TRT corruption.

If they don't give it in that case, what then do they give a rat's ass about?

Because it's the main, basic premise of all pro-Thaksin campaigning - his transgressions must be overlooked and forgiven.

Inerestingly - in another post you got it right - they don't care about something that is removed far far away from their lives, like excise taxes or shareholding concealment.

The crime is a crime, however, no matter how it affects you emotionally, it has to be punished.

>>>

I'm too lazy to dig up old Thaksin quotes where he practically justified corruption, saying that only corrupt leaders can achieve anything in this country, so they need to be elected. There was also the chairman of Election Commission who was busted for electoral fraud himself once. He said that his expertise in rigging elections would make him the better watchman. He ended up in jail for April 2006 fiasco.

Thaksin fans heeded these words of wisdom very well.

^So perhaps the rural man's apathy about corruption is based on the fact that none of his overlords in Bangkok (or in the province) has ever tried to conceal their dishonesty.

So he's conditioned into not giving a rat's ass if the big bosses always have behaved that way. Not really his fault is it that he might feel so cynical and responds with a shrug of indifference to the whole sorry fiasco?

And now even Apirak, supposedly 'Mr Clean" - can't deny that he signed an LC related to a dodgy deal.

Edited by Journalist

...Not really his fault...

Still doesn't make it right, corruption still should be unacceptable.

I don't know the details of Apirak's involvement. NCCC ruled that he had enough power not to sign. His defence was always that he had no choice and would have been sued if he didn't sign.

We'll wait and see.

Why don't you compare both Samak and Apirak reactions, btw? Apirak surely comes out on top.

^If Apirak was damned either way, then it means he never stood a chance in hel_l. Shows how dysfunctional Thailand is in its regulatory regime. What sets out trying to be ethical is just obfuscatory.

Where commercial law says one thing and the NCCC says another, then there's major problems. Its tantamount to making the place ungovernable.

Apirak has a good chance of clearing his name - he has a lot of supporting evidence that he objected to signing and was pushed by goverment.

NCCC thinks he had a leeway - that's what they will have to prove in court. Otherwise they can jail every bank clerk who was involved in the transaction, too.

Apirak has a good chance of clearing his name - he has a lot of supporting evidence that he objected to signing and was pushed by goverment.

NCCC thinks he had a leeway - that's what they will have to prove in court. Otherwise they can jail every bank clerk who was involved in the transaction, too.

Motive and opportunity too must be considered.

If he did it under some form of duress as he has implied,

that means his motive wasn't for graft and profit.

A court SHOULD consider this also.

The only poster who wants Apirak to stay on and ignore NCCC indictment is Journalist. Is he that one eyed self appointed expert?

Why should someone step down from a job because he's been indicted for something. He hasn't actually been found guilty at trial (unlike the insinuation of the headline). If he thinks he's innocent, he should be shouting it out. He's innocent till proven guilty, even in the third world.

Typically facetious and uselessly-critical response from Plus.

Now, Plus, Apirak has been democratically elected. As a PAD supporter, you may not think that elections are worth much compared to the dikktats of the kangaroo minorities, but he was elected, and he isn't the first Governor/Mayor of a major city to be accused of wrongdoing. Others elsewhere don't just step down and chuck it in the moment a court summons arrives

...because it is in the constitution,darling. As a journalist you should know this stuff. Oh you're a Thai journalist so you're excused.

His signature on the LC is a bit of a smoking gun, wouldn't you say? He obviously knows the game is up.

I doubt the Constitution even mentions Bangkok Governor.

From all reports he is not required to resign right now. Judging by the lottery case, he'd have to resign only when the court accepts the case.

That's a lifeline of a few weeks that wouldn't make any difference if he stayed to left.

The only poster who wants Apirak to stay on and ignore NCCC indictment is Journalist. Is he that one eyed self appointed expert?

Why should someone step down from a job because he's been indicted for something. He hasn't actually been found guilty at trial (unlike the insinuation of the headline). If he thinks he's innocent, he should be shouting it out. He's innocent till proven guilty, even in the third world.

Typically facetious and uselessly-critical response from Plus.

Now, Plus, Apirak has been democratically elected. As a PAD supporter, you may not think that elections are worth much compared to the dikktats of the kangaroo minorities, but he was elected, and he isn't the first Governor/Mayor of a major city to be accused of wrongdoing. Others elsewhere don't just step down and chuck it in the moment a court summons arrives

...because it is in the constitution,darling. As a journalist you should know this stuff. Oh you're a Thai journalist so you're excused.

His signature on the LC is a bit of a smoking gun, wouldn't you say? He obviously knows the game is up.

I hope Apirak, Thaksin and Sondhi all burn in heII. TOGETHER.

• 3 weeks later...

Apirak must be glad that he is no longer BKK governor. Although Swampy is not in Bangkok, Don Muang is.

On the other hand, if the MPs cannot agree on a PM, can they invite a 3rd part to become PM (just like Khun Anan a few years back)? Apirak will be a good candidate. He has pass the most important citeria for being a PM - Alleged Criminal.

What Thailand really needs is a group of very astute accountants. The Thai government has always failed to follow the money. In this day and age, it is difficult to hide money and disguise where it came from. The laws are in place, they are called unusual wealth rules. If you are wealthy, you should be able to explain where your money came from. Laundering money is NOT that easy.

Whay do you think of Apirak. When I mention that he is an Alleged Criminal, my wife went goes ballistic. I said he is just "alleged", but my wife doesn't care. She think he is white as snow. Although I understand enough Thai, I don't read Thai. So I don't know how the Thai press view him.

What Thailand really needs is a group of very astute accountants. The Thai government has always failed to follow the money. In this day and age, it is difficult to hide money and disguise where it came from. The laws are in place, they are called unusual wealth rules. If you are wealthy, you should be able to explain where your money came from. Laundering money is NOT that easy.

Right on Gary.

And maybe they should have paid taxes on their IGG. LOL.

Right on Gary.

And maybe they should have paid taxes on their IGG. LOL.

Well yes and no. It just ups the anti for how to launder it.

And that group of accountants best just buy shirts with bulls-eyes on them,

because the closer they get, the more of a target they become....

I am a bit loss on what IGG & LOL stand for. Anybody kind enough to enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Since it stopped your bump trolling in the other thread, I'll use it here as well.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2382814

Justa simple question to who ever who knows. Who is running Bangkok now? I need to complain about sweage in my soi.

Perhaps you could troll on over to the other old thread on Apirak you bumped earlier and trollingly ask there.

Edited by sriracha john

Is there a possibility that Apirak might follow Aphisit foot step soon, entering the political arena. Now he is jobless.

Not if he ends up in jail first. However the posibility (of the jail term) is very very remote. I am sure he will get away quietly. The Focus in Thailand is now on Thaksin, PAD and Mark V.