Council War On Flooding

prefabs

Brilliant Reporting

Dirt and Puddles committee???

Council Meeting Approves Budget for Drains.

On Tuesday afternoon in one of City Hall’s biggest rooms, a meeting of city councilors took place to discuss the serious flooding problems in the east of Pattaya. The heavy rains of recent weeks have underscored the failure of the current drainage system with traffic often brought to a gridlock situation and street-side businesses being flooded. A budget of 4.77 million baht, some of which will be used to fix the drainage problem, has been allocated by the dirt and puddles committee of city council. Since the budget has now been approved, the next stage is to find the right company to take on the job of installing the slipways. The task will be to move the floodwaters from areas such as Soi Khao Talo and Soi Khao Noi to somewhere less conspicuous and annoying to the free flow of traffic and the conduct of commerce.

The mind boggles what ideas they will come up with,and the budget of 4.77 million will depreciate so much that when the work starts ost of the money will be in the pockets of the hi-so appreciation fund.

Edited by patklang

Many years back soon after I arrived in Thailand I watched them lay down the concrete on what is effectively second road in Jomtien along the stretch by the O1 site. At the time I had great difficulty understanding why the new land drains were half full of cement and construction rubbish and even greater problem understanding why they did not actually go anywhere.

It then dawned on me that the 'drain' is not so much a drain but more a holding tank cum soak away for run off water, so of course when they get full they back up on to the surrounding area.

Now they are building Jomtien second road proper and again I wonder if the drains will actually run out to the main drain and down to the sea or processing plant or whatever.

It's got to be a big problem for them because there seems to be no dedicated storm drain system. Current drains double for gray water, brown water and run off water so I guess it is better to leach it into the ground rather than run it into the sea if a processing plant is not available. Maybe a flood plane is the answer!