Need To Buy Money Belt...where?

Mike45

time travel to 1980

:o

Believe it or not people are still advised to use money belts in travel guides (written and online). To the OP, try asking in the Bangkok forum. :D

Its to late for that, but never fear a bangkokarino is here!! What's a money belt???

It ties around your waist (like a belt) and has a zip compartment for stashing money/passports/cards etc. Designed to be worn underneath clothes. I think if someone is waving a knife in your face they're going to rob you whether you use a money belt or not.

I realized to late that i forgot my money belt at home. Where can i find a new one in bkk...Big C maybe?

Thanks

Mike

A better option might be to buy a cheap wallet, fill it with plastic cards (store cards, discount cards, expired cards - even used phone cards) and a few hundred in 20 baht notes, to make it look stuffed. Keep it in your back pocket and hand it over if confronted.

Meantime, keep the real cards in a safe, and cash in your front pocket, where you are more likely to feel someone "dipping".

Just a suggestion.

The type of money belt that I am familiar with looks exactly the same as an ordinary belt and is worn as a regular belt and fits through the belt loops of your pants. On the backside of the belt is a zipper which runs most the length of the belt where you can stash your folding money. I disagree with some of the other poster since no one would be able to tell them apart from a normal belt unless they took it out of your belt loops and looked at the back and saw the zipper. I have used them for years and think they are terrific. Unfortunately I have no idea where you buy them in Thailand however if you send me your money, I will be happy to keep it safe for you in my money belt. :o

I realized to late that i forgot my money belt at home. Where can i find a new one in bkk...Big C maybe?

Thanks

Mike

A better option might be to buy a cheap wallet, fill it with plastic cards (store cards, discount cards, expired cards - even used phone cards) and a few hundred in 20 baht notes, to make it look stuffed. Keep it in your back pocket and hand it over if confronted.

Meantime, keep the real cards in a safe, and cash in your front pocket, where you are more likely to feel someone "dipping".

Just a suggestion.

And in the confusing and fear of a gun or knife in someone’s face “oops, gave them the valuable wallet!! :o

Fodors: "Backpacks, back pockets, and open purses are easy targets for pick-pockets. Keeping your passport and funds secure in a money belt may save your vacation from an unfortunate run-in with a talented thief"

Rick Steves: "Money belts are your key to peace of mind. I never travel without one"

Most of your suggestions have been amusing..... Does anyone know where to find one?

Thanks

Mike

Fodors: "Backpacks, back pockets, and open purses are easy targets for pick-pockets. Keeping your passport and funds secure in a money belt may save your vacation from an unfortunate run-in with a talented thief"

Rick Steves: "Money belts are your key to peace of mind. I never travel without one"

Most of your suggestions have been amusing..... Does anyone know where to find one?

Thanks

Mike

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I've definitely seen them in the airport shops (amongst the neck cushions, ear plugs and travel socks).

You can get soft fabric wallets with a loop on them so you can put your belt through the loop and tuck the wallet down your trousers. I think Samsonite make them.

I've used both a money belt and the soft pouch described here. The money belt is a nuisance - bank notes have to be folded really small to fit in, and the belt has a large metal zip which can set off airport metal detectors. They are seldom waterproof. I had a lot of baht stained black and ruined when I was wearing my money belt in a Songkran wetting.

The pouch works much better. I can carry my passport, credit cards and cash sealed in a ziplok bag in the pouch. I tuck the pouch down the front of my trousers. I can feel it when I put my hand in my trouser pocket. And it is near the groin area where most guys are usually aware of any stray (pickpocket) hands moving around. I wear loose fitting trousers so it isn't obvious. If you wear tight jeans it might be different.

First of all why is someone carrying around so much money that they need a money belt? I say leave your valuables in the hotel safe or at home. Only carry around what you will need for that day or perhaps a few days. Use the bank and an ATM card. As far as carrying around your passport that is just asking for problems. Keep you passport in a safe location and carry a scanned copy of it on your person.

And if you do feel secure with carrying large sums of money on your person when on vacation try getting some AE Travelers checks. These are accepted at all currency exchange booths and at most large businesses. Likewise if stolen or lost they can be replaced.

Split your money into different pockets, forget the belt, inconvenient and a one stop shop for a thief with a knife in your face.

Muggings are rare but pickpocketings are rife.

Money belts provide near perfect protection against the latter.

I've seen them at carrefour, home brand irc.

What's wrong with underwear??? :o

Speaking of underwear, I appear to have somewhat "soiled" mine, can anyone on Thai Visa please help, and direct me to an underwaer vendor...Big C, or maybe Tesco? Shit, I can't go out of the house without some help from you guys!

I had a money belt (one that looks like an ordinary belt with the zip in the back)

on my first time in Bangkok about 15 years ago - Stashed a couple of 1,000 Baht notes in

for emergency use and still a girl in a GoGo bar managed to extract the contents as

drink took a hold of me. As mentioned you don't need to carry wads of cash around

for a night out in Thailand. On second thoughts the way the UK pound is dropping !!!!

Hi,

I bought one a while back in, of all places, Boots the Chemist. I bought it in Pattaya (the one in Big C, north Pattaya) but i have also seem them in Boots stores in Bangkok and other places too. Just look on the travel section and if you dont see them there, ask and they can order them for you to be there within a couple days.

Hope this helps,

Falcon