Thailand's 3rd Gender

iyah

Is it ok to let kids have the option of being of the '3rd gender' from an early age? By letting them have this option and labeling it as acceptable, aren't Thais promoting such abnormal behaviors? I'm not trying to put a moral value on such a choice here, but choosing to lives one's life as someone of the other gender carries heavy implications and consequences, be it physically (drugs, surgery, hormones etc) and psychologically, not to mention that those individuals won't have the possibility of raising kids. So, is it 'healthy'/ok that a significant portion of the Thai poulation (especially urban population) does not seem to (want to) fit the gender/body of their birth? What's your opinion?

Its beautiful to let kids grow up with any gender/sexuality they feel comfortable with.

I don't like that certain adult individuals feel they have the right to force children to be 'normal'.....really some people are so frightened of anything that isn't 'normal'.

As for gender re-assignment action be it drugs or operations I think an age limit should be put on this though it shouldn't be set in stone.

Not from an early age, but once they are past the age of consent and at an age that they should have enough knowlege to make an intelligent choice, they should be allowed to do anything they want with their bodies and lifestyles as long as they do not hurt anyone but themselves. Anyone that wants to live their life as a freak of nature should be entitled to that privilege is they so choose.

Is it ok to let kids have the option of being of the '3rd gender' from an early age? By letting them have this option and labeling it as acceptable, aren't Thais promoting such abnormal behaviors? I'm not trying to put a moral value on such a choice here, but choosing to lives one's life as someone of the other gender carries heavy implications and consequences, be it physically (drugs, surgery, hormones etc) and psychologically, not to mention that those individuals won't have the possibility of raising kids. So, is it 'healthy'/ok that a significant portion of the Thai poulation (especially urban population) does not seem to (want to) fit the gender/body of their birth? What's your opinion?

Well many Thais don't see it as acceptable......

My wifes sister was banned from the family for almost a decade for being lesbian. No chance that a ladyman could get a job in my company. (I would be the only one who would accept him/her, the others not).

Anyway Thai men are strange.....even the real men act as they are women.....

I won't judge another family on this one but as for me, no. If they are in their teens and still fruity then well I guess I just got a fruity kid and I'll love em just the same. But I believe its our duty to give them the proper foundation for their gender.

There are approximately 6,000,000,000 people living on this planet and none of them is identical to another. Surely we can accept that they do not all fit exactly into 2 genders.

Life would be very boring if we were all the same.

Just admit it, you have the hots for ladyboys.

Hahah, Exactly, just spit it out LOL.....or not :o

Not from an early age, but once they are past the age of consent and at an age that they should have enough knowlege to make an intelligent choice, they should be allowed to do anything they want with their bodies and lifestyles as long as they do not hurt anyone but themselves. Anyone that wants to live their life as a freak of nature should be entitled to that privilege is they so choose.

exactly what i was just gonna say.

I recently heard an actor being interviewed about a film he had just completed shooting in Thailand and he said that Thailand was especially interesting since it has some of the most beautiful woman in the world but unfortunately most of them have penises. I do know if that is true or not so will leave any comments on that subject up to RJT who appears to be our TV resident expert on that subject. :o

I don't think it should be overtly presented as a valid choice. There is no need for that. What there is a need for (if you don't wish to psychologically abuse your children) is for parents to take pains to not openly express bigotry towards homosexual or transgendered people. The reason for this is if your child is going to turn out that that way, you don't want them to ever feel that you won't still love them. I speak from painful experience. As a child at perhaps age 10 I was holding hands with my best buddy (there was nothing gay about it at the time) and my father slapped me in the face. That traumatized me and made me feel I was doing something dirty (I was not) and made it much harder to come out to him when the time came. You cannot determine your child's sexuality. Let it be.

Edited by Jingthing

Having worked in media, public performance, video and music worlds, on 3 continents,

I don't see it quite as black and white anymore. People come in two extremes good and evil.

And a whole lot of gray in between.

I have met extra 'proper' church going, absolutely gender correct, people who were

loathsome to be around, their intolerance to all except their views palpable like

rancid butter on your tounge.

I have met stunning gorgeous transgenders who were a sweet and down to earth as can be.

Only wanting to be left to their own devices and willing to accept all others as themselves.

I have met many confused people from both sides of that divide.

The confused ones often are agressive towards one side or another.

The confusion is the worst aspect IMHO.

And of course reasonably well adjusted, kindly and tollerent 'normal folk'

who don't begrudge others their foibles.

I like to think I am in this group.

Kids will be kids and develop as they are going to.

Nature and nurture in tandem.

To yank a doll from a male toddler's hands so he doesn't act too girlie

is sending a bad message like forcing him to become a mini-kickboxer

when it's not his thing. Gender roles are what children gravitate to naturally,

they can be coaxed and directed gently, but not forced. And NOT shamed.

All that does is create anger, hate, resentment and CONFUSION.

Some children are not wired the same as others,

Each has a unique electro-chemical / learning composition,

some more feminized, some more masculine,

others more mellow, some more angry 24/7,

some avid readers by 4, others never reading unless forced, till a teen.

The MAIN issue is not rote, agressive re-enforcment of cut and dried gender roles,

but encouragement to make GOOD DECISIONS in their lives,

whether we agree with them or not.

Accept the child as the child, this unique person in development,

and guide them to be good members of society.

In a dress or not.

Edited by animatic

There are approximately 6,000,000,000 people living on this planet and none of them is identical to another. Surely we can accept that they do not all fit exactly into 2 genders.

Life would be very boring if we were all the same.

Just admit it, you have the hots for ladyboys.

Don't you realise you are making an absolute prat of yourself?

Its beautiful to let kids grow up with any gender/sexuality they feel comfortable with.

I don't like that certain adult individuals feel they have the right to force children to be 'normal'.....really some people are so frightened of anything that isn't 'normal'.

As for gender re-assignment action be it drugs or operations I think an age limit should be put on this though it shouldn't be set in stone.

cor blimey, what an extraordinary statement. btw, what's "Thailand's 3rd Gender"? last time I looked there were only two genders (male & female). have aliens landed in Thailand? :o

I don't think it should be overtly presented as a valid choice. There is no need for that. What there is a need for (if you don't wish to psychologically abuse your children) is for parents to take pains to not openly express bigotry towards homosexual or transgendered people. The reason for this is if your child is going to turn out that that way, you don't want them to ever feel that you won't still love them. I speak from painful experience. As a child at perhaps age 10 I was holding hands with my best buddy (there was nothing gay about it at the time) and my father slapped me in the face. That traumatized me and made me feel I was doing something dirty (I was not) and made it much harder to come out to him when the time came. You cannot determine your child's sexuality. Let it be.

What do you mean: made it much harder to come out to him when the time came?

What came and at what time?

Having worked in media, public performance, video and music worlds, on 3 continents,

I don't see it quite as black and white anymore. People come in two extremes good and evil.

And a whole lot of gray in between.

I have met extra 'proper' church going, absolutely gender correct, people who were

loathsome to be around, their intolerance to all except their views palpable like

rancid butter on your tounge.

I have met stunning gorgeous transgenders who were a sweet and down to earth as can be.

Only wanting to be left to their own devices and willing to accept all others as themselves.

I have met many confused people from both sides of that divide.

The confused ones often are agressive towards one side or another.

The confusion is the worst aspect IMHO.

And of course reasonably well adjusted, kindly and tollerent 'normal folk'

who don't begrudge others their foibles.

I like to think I am in this group.

Kids will be kids and develop as they are going to.

Nature and nurture in tandem.

To yank a doll from a male toddler's hands so he doesn't act too girlie

is sending a bad message like forcing him to become a mini-kickboxer

when it's not his thing. Gender roles are what children gravitate to naturally,

they can be coaxed and directed gently, but not forced. And NOT shamed.

All that does is create anger, hate, resentment and CONFUSION.

Some children are not wired the same as others,

Each has a unique electro-chemical / learning composition,

some more feminized, some more masculine,

others more mellow, some more angry 24/7,

some avid readers by 4, others never reading unless forced, till a teen.

The MAIN issue is not rote, agressive re-enforcment of cut and dried gender roles,

but encouragement to make GOOD DECISIONS in their lives,

whether we agree with them or not.

Accept the child as the child, this unique person in development,

and guide them to be good members of society.

In a dress or not.

I can only wish I had been gifted with this person's eloquence, and couldn't agree more with what he's said. And wish there was more level-headed thinking such as this throughout the world. :o

Peace

I recently heard an actor being interviewed about a film he had just completed shooting in Thailand and he said that Thailand was especially interesting since it has some of the most beautiful woman in the world but unfortunately most of them have penises. I do know if that is true or not so will leave any comments on that subject up to RJT who appears to be our TV resident expert on that subject. :o

If you're that "Bi Curious" to seek advice form me, well im afraid I cant be much help. I suggest you take it up with chickenlegs up there to work throw those little thoughts eating at your mind. Just make sure you work out witch one wants to be the girl. :D

One of the best things about you RJT is you can always be counted on to make an immature and non humourous retort. If you are going to make a childish comeback remark, at least have the courtesy of putting a little humour into it that is funny to someone other than your narcissistic self. :D

If you're that "Bi Curious" to seek advice form me, well im afraid I cant be much help. I suggest you take it up with chickenlegs up there to work throw those little thoughts eating at your mind. Just make sure you work out witch one wants to be the girl. :D

One of the best things about you RJT is you can always be counted on to make an immature and non humourous retort. If you are going to make a childish comeback remark, at least have the courtesy of putting a little humour into it that is funny to someone other than your narcissistic self. :D

yes I too was on the recieving end of RJTs immature retorts on another thread. He resorted to the playground act of "name calling", and called me "mc nugget" . Apparently that was the best he could muster . :D

Edited by mc2

They are rebelling against their inherent masculinity/femininity, for whatever reasons, a fight they will never win.

After they have really "got into" the role they find it is a one way street, ultimately a sad, lonely and unfullfilling one.