Transit From Amsterdam To Vientiane Through Swampy

daeng1212

Hi. I'm an American residing in Thailand on tourist visas and extensions. I'm planning to travel to Amsterdam in March for a couple of weeks, and then back to Thailand. At that point, I will have used up all three of my 30-day visa extensions (actually visa-exempt entries). (Details: got a Tourist Visa in Vientiane in September, extended one month in Maesai [in November], and will extend three more times in Maesai [December, January, and February].)

My plan is to fly from Amsterdam to Vientiane, Laos (to get a new tourist visa), transiting through Bangkok (but not entering Thailand). My question is: when transiting through Suvarnabhumi airport, will I have to go through Immigration? I don't think I can enter Thailand at that point with no tourist visa and having already used three visa exemptions in a 6-month period. I did a Thaivisa search on this topic, and found a couple of posts. It looks like maybe I won't have to go through Immigration, but I wanted to check and make sure.

If anyone can answer my question, I will appreciate it greatly.

Daeng

Hi. I'm an American residing in Thailand on tourist visas and extensions. I'm planning to travel to Amsterdam in March for a couple of weeks, and then back to Thailand. At that point, I will have used up all three of my 30-day visa extensions (actually visa-exempt entries). (Details: got a Tourist Visa in Vientiane in September, extended one month in Maesai [in November], and will extend three more times in Maesai [December, January, and February].)

My plan is to fly from Amsterdam to Vientiane, Laos (to get a new tourist visa), transiting through Bangkok (but not entering Thailand). My question is: when transiting through Suvarnabhumi airport, will I have to go through Immigration? I don't think I can enter Thailand at that point with no tourist visa and having already used three visa exemptions in a 6-month period. I did a Thaivisa search on this topic, and found a couple of posts. It looks like maybe I won't have to go through Immigration, but I wanted to check and make sure.

If anyone can answer my question, I will appreciate it greatly.

Daeng

It depends on which airline you fly between Bangkok and Vientiane if it is Air Asia you need to go through immigration at Swampy

Why don't you get a visa while in Amsterdam ?

it is VERY easy and done right on the spot to get a new visa while in AMS-much easier as neighboringThai countries. The 60day tourist is 30 EUR-and extendable with 30 days whie in Thaild. This does NOT eat into your 90 in 180 days allownace.

Also; AirAsia does NOT fly to VTE ex BKK-only ex KUL. ONLY THAI and LaoAir (as codeshare) fly direct BKK-VTE-and thus its a normal international transit-even if on separate tickets-and NO passing by immigration etc. In fact ONLY the USA wants that from transiting passengers-the usual exemption in this world. Tickets will not be very cheap for this.

Thanks to everybody for their posts, esp. Asanee. Very helpful. It won't be convenient for me to get a tourist visa in Amsterdam, and I need to go to Laos anyway, so that's where I want to get the tourist visa. I'll be flying on KLM Royal Dutch airlines from Amsterdam to Bangkok and on Lao Aviation from Bkk to Vientiane. So, it sounds like I can make that transit through Suvarnabhumi (should be spelled Suwannapoom!) without going thru Immigration, which is great.

Thanks to everybody for their posts, esp. Asanee. Very helpful. It won't be convenient for me to get a tourist visa in Amsterdam, and I need to go to Laos anyway, so that's where I want to get the tourist visa. I'll be flying on KLM Royal Dutch airlines from Amsterdam to Bangkok and on Lao Aviation from Bkk to Vientiane. So, it sounds like I can make that transit through Suvarnabhumi (should be spelled Suwannapoom!) without going thru Immigration, which is great.

Yes you can stay in transit and not go through immigration in Bangkok

Make sure that (if you have any) your checked-bags are tagged all the way to Vientiane on your Lao Aviation flight.

When you deplane at Swampy, look for the transit desk where you will be able to get your boarding pass for your flight to Vientiane, show them your checked bags tags (if any) and head for your boarding gate.