Really Need Visa Advice

Hey.

I've been Thailand for about 4 months now.

I entered Thailand with a non-immigrant type O visa (3 months)

Last month I crossed over into Burma and got a 30 day stamp

I have to go to the Thai embassy in Penang either tomorrow or on Wednesday

I'm here studying Muay Thai so it's possible that I would be able to get an education visa

My return flight isn't until May 2009 ..

That being said .. I have a few questions ..

Would the following be an option? ..

Just get a tourist visa in Penang

Extend it for an extra 30 days from within Thailand (giving me 3 more months total)

Do 2 more visa runs after that (I've already done 1) for entry stamps ..

Then do 1 more final trip to Penang for yet another tourist visa ..

The restrictions on the stamps is that you can get 3 of them within a 6 month period, is that correct?

Ideally, I'd like to just get an education visa but I just have a feeling that they'll give me a hard time about it at the embassy..

Does anyone know how much both an education visa and a tourist visa cost?

Thank you in advance,

Bill

Yes, that would work

The restrictions on 30 day stamps are a total og 90 days in a 6 month period.

Tourist Visa 1,000 Baht per entry.

Vientiene Laos will issue a double entry.

The fee for "ED" Visa is 2,000 Baht for a single entry and 5,000 for a multi entry.

I see that Phuket have refused you an extension for education.

I found this but it is 2 years old.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Work-Non-imm...+education+visa

If you want to get a 2 entry tourist visa and have a since of adventure you can get one at Kota Bharu Malaysia.

Link to topic where another Muay Thai student got a 2 entry tourist visa there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourist-Visa...77#entry2301177

Also here is a link for a company that is offering same day visa runs to Kota Bharu from Narathiwat.

http://www.traveller2000.com/visa_run.htm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I love this forum!

A couple of other things, how do you guys recommend I do this? Should I go through a visa run company or should I just go on my own?

With the visa run companies, I'm just a little concerned that the ED visa I will originally attempt to get will take longer to process. I don't really want the whole bus waiting up for me.

If I go alone, do you guys have any good recommendations as to a nice, affordable place to stay near the embassy in Penang and also, are there any "luxury" busses that go there from Phuket?

And lastly, I've heard that the provinces in Southern Thailand are pretty violent. Is it even safe to be going through those areas?

I mean, just driving through, I'm sure it's not a big deal .. but maybe you guys have heard something that I haven't ..

Thanks.

Bill

it is relatively safe to travel though the southern provinces

I do not know about busses from Phuket as I always flew

There is no need for a visa company. But feel free to use one as time will not be an issue.

since Phuket immigration will not issue an extension based upon studying Muay Thai there really is not much sense in not going for the double entry tourist visa.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I love this forum!

A couple of other things, how do you guys recommend I do this? Should I go through a visa run company or should I just go on my own?

With the visa run companies, I'm just a little concerned that the ED visa I will originally attempt to get will take longer to process. I don't really want the whole bus waiting up for me.

If I go alone, do you guys have any good recommendations as to a nice, affordable place to stay near the embassy in Penang and also, are there any "luxury" busses that go there from Phuket?

And lastly, I've heard that the provinces in Southern Thailand are pretty violent. Is it even safe to be going through those areas?

I mean, just driving through, I'm sure it's not a big deal .. but maybe you guys have heard something that I haven't ..

Thanks.

Bill

Suggest thay you go to the link I gave you earlier for the Kota Bharu visa run and have a look at TheChad's topics. It will give you an idea of what he went through trying to get an ED visa.

The chances of getting an ED visa from anywhere are quite slim and then it will only be a single entry.

Penang only gives single entry tourist visas.

I think your best option is to get a 2 entry tourist visa at Kota Bharu. The run from Narathiwat looks like it is a good option since you don't have to spend the night in Kota Bharu.

I can't help you on the buses to Penang or hotels there.

Edited by ubonjoe

Regarding Penang.

The Consulate is in a residential area with no hotels nearby.

Most Visa applicants stay in Georgetown and travel by taxi or get an agent to apply for their Visa.

Georgetown has loads of backpacker guest houses. There are a few better Hotels. Have a search.

As Joe said they will only issue a single Tourist Visa.

In the past there have been good reports from members using this Hotel.

http://www.penang-hotels.com/oriental/