Tiger Balm...

sillybilly

Got an older friend back in the land of Oz.

Recieved a phone call from her the other day asking me to try and stock up on some Tiger Balm patches for her arthritis... If is cheaper just to go to a Watsons store and buy it by the carton oris there a cheaper way to buy more... Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks :o

Got an older friend back in the land of Oz.

Recieved a phone call from her the other day asking me to try and stock up on some Tiger Balm patches for her arthritis... If is cheaper just to go to a Watsons store and buy it by the carton oris there a cheaper way to buy more... Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks :o

Be carefull with sending Tiger Balm to Australia I got it taken of me at the custom last time I went back to Perth aperantly it is not on the list for safe medicine to be brought in

Don't know why it would not be on the safe medicine list as it is readily available there. But is around $8.00 for the small jar. I used to bring it back to Aust. with no problems.
well I brought it back a couple of years ago and it got taken of me :o

Tiger Balm begin from Singapore and I believe it is much cheaper to buy over there. Tiger Balm do distribute to Australia according ti the following website: http://www.tigerbalm.com/index.php?id=3 and they do sell online at Yahoo Shopping : http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Pain%20Relief:...HNsawNzc2VhcmNo

Hope the above website will help up.

pharmacies and thai herbal medicine shops do sell them. Some larger massage clinics do them themselves and for sale, but substandard quality.

for export choose the best brands, with a little of parafine and in plactic containers rather than glass jars, because they are light and don't brake.

there are different brands with a different ingredients and for different conditions, the local massage therapists would advice you which are available locally and which are good. Some have a very strong, unpleasant medical smell - thai do recognise this smell and in not offending for them, for foreigners might be different (imagine yourself in australia using public transport or walking into a restaurant wearing this balm).

prices are around 1baht/gram - the larger container, the cheaper. The largest are 50g containers.

what we call tiger balm thai know as a herbal balm or massage balm

Tiger Balm was originally developed in the 1870s by a Chinese herbalist, Aw Chu Kin, who lived in Rangoon, Burma, who asked his sons Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par on his deathbed to perfect the product.

It was Aw Boon Haw who lent his name, meaning Tiger, to the remedy.

Having created the brand name Tiger Balm they moved from Rangoon to Singapore in 1926.

Coincidentally, I've been to Tiger Balm (Aw Boon Haw) Gardens in Hong Kong (commisioned by Aw Boon Haw and his family in 1935), that place creep you out. It has all this wierd animal sculptures there.

Edited by Aswin

This is the reply I recieved from Australalian Customs today...

Thanks for all the information... Some pretty good facts there...

Dear John

Tiger balm is allowed into Australia as it is only a brand name, but Tiger bone products are prohibited as tigers are endangered species.

Please check if Tiger balm contains any product derived from tigers or not before importing it.

Please dont hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries regarding this matter.

Thanks and best regards,

Rupinder Kaur

Senior Systems Support Officer

Customs Information and Support Centre

Ph: 1300 55 80 99

Fax: 02 8339 6712

Web: www.customs.gov.au

Please respond to email address [email protected] to ensure your communication with us is answered.

Ingredient[1] Red White

Menthol 10% 8%

Camphor 11% 11%

Dementholised mint oil 6% 16%

Cajuput oil 7% 13%

Clove bud oil 5% 1.5%

Cassia oil 5%

The remainder is a petroleum jelly and paraffin base. The red variety also contains ammonium hydroxide,[1] which acts as the colouring agent.

The rub does not contain tiger parts. lol

cheers.