Htc Touch Hd Vs. Iphone (sort Of Long) Lol

anotheruser

Looks like the big display touchscreens are coming out thick and fast

just reading about the Nokia 5800 due ~Dec 2008/early 09

Its got a 3.2" display but only weighs 108grams so it's more pocket friendly than the HTC HD at 146grms or the Iphone at 133grms

OS is symbian but presumably you will be able to view/edit excel-word etc by downloading the software from Nokia site.

nokia 5800 specs

http://www.nokia.us/A41271075

review with videos

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=5734

Even though the review is positive I have very low expectations for a Symbian device. I'll come out and say it: I don't think Symbian can create a good touch interface experience. I just don't think it's possible. Symbian was designed in like 1980 and there's only so much you can do to software before you have to throw it out and redo it from scratch. Or course miracles happen... sometimes... it would be nice to be proven wrong on this one.

I think the main reason the iPhone touch screen works amazingly well - better than any keyboard navigation phone - is that the UI was designed for a touch screen from day one. It was a quantum leap in user interface design. It was so good that elements of the user experience are now finding their way into OS X.

Edited by nikster

Looks like the big display touchscreens are coming out thick and fast

just reading about the Nokia 5800 due ~Dec 2008/early 09

Its got a 3.2" display but only weighs 108grams so it's more pocket friendly than the HTC HD at 146grms or the Iphone at 133grms

OS is symbian but presumably you will be able to view/edit excel-word etc by downloading the software from Nokia site.

nokia 5800 specs

http://www.nokia.us/A41271075

review with videos

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=5734

Even though the review is positive I have very low expectations for a Symbian device. I'll come out and say it: I don't think Symbian can create a good touch interface experience. I just don't think it's possible. Symbian was designed in like 1980 and there's only so much you can do to software before you have to throw it out and redo it from scratch. Or course miracles happen... sometimes... it would be nice to be proven wrong on this one.

I think the main reason the iPhone touch screen works amazingly well - better than any keyboard navigation phone - is that the UI was designed for a touch screen from day one. It was a quantum leap in user interface design. It was so good that elements of the user experience are now finding their way into OS X.

Hi Nikster

I think Nokia got it right with display size and weight, (3.2", 108grms)

Not sure if the HTC HD would be comfortable in the top pocket when I'm strolling on the beach. (Anotheruser, how do find the HD for pocketability ?)

I note your concerns re symbian and will watchout for that in further reviews.

Would you consider it worse than WM ?

You might want to make a new thread for your review. I don't care you posted it in this one but if you made a dedicated thread it might get more views. :o

Just made a quicky in response to monty's request :D

Might also make a full review with pictures in a new tread if there is any interest :D

I would like to see a full review of the Omnia with user opinions.

I have added one here , and its ofcourse open to any other Omnia user to add his/hers opinions as well :D

I saw on Fox News last night that the new Blackberry Storm with touchscreen was recently introduced in high demand in the United States. It's a good looking phone, but I really don't know anything about it.

Verizon will have their hands full it seems they are also launching Samsung Omnia any day now.

Samsung Omnia USA Site

Edited by Fun2Fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here in SFO (moving to thailand in Sept), i contemplated all the above smartphones. I have the luxury of getting my hands on iPhone and the new Storm, as my son-in-law and sister own them. So i fiddled with those for quite some time, then went out to stores to get my hands on the Omnia (verison version) and the HTC (sprint version).The Storm turned me off right out of the gate...

I immediately noticed the difference in physical feel and GUI feel between the Omnia and the Diamond. I have to say my personal preference was the HTC Diamond. We purchased one in December (unlocked from HK) and have loved it.

Someone asked about pocket size - it is a great pocket phone - one of the reasons i prefer it over the iPhone. The display on the HTC is much crisper, cleaner and just plain better than the iPhone (i lunch with my son-in-law often and we continue the debate, but he conceeds the superior display of HTC and call quality).

Put one way... the HTC is more of a lady's phone, smaller, more glam... the iPhone is larger and bold - more mannish(just as i believe a mercedes is a lady's car and a bmw is a man's car) . Since the phone is for my wife, it suits her and she loves it. She is very resourceful and has found free apps to rotate to landscape in all modes, and to watch videos seamlessly. god only knows what else she has done to it as she loves to fiddle with it. She is petite and thai and rarely uses the stylus, using fingernail and fingers - she disabled the touch flo interface and prefers the windows file manager...

The few times i do use her phone i find the size and call quality absolutely superb (here in sfo on 3G). I love it, except i dislike smart phones

so... go figure...somewhere out there is a phone for you. I encourage folks to get their hands on as many phones as possible before spendin such serious coinage.

zippy

For anyone who's reading, I just wanted to report back that I got a smartphone after all, against my better judgment :o I got a Sony Ericsson X1.

It was an impulse buy, and one I most definitely regretted, not really because of any inherent fault with the phone itself, but mostly because it's overkill for me. I don't need anything more than an iPhone or Diamond, and apart from a hardware keyboard, the X1 offers very little in extra features. It's a very bare phone with very little software work on Sony's part. If you're in the market for one, definitely wait for the price to come down a bit more.

And just as an anecdote: I was engrossed with reading a certain news thread on TV last week (all right, the one on the swinging sex party). By pages 7 or 8, the Opera browser started to complain about running out of memory. This is after I maxed out cache settings, AND turned off pictures. Would this be evidence that convergence is still more trash talk than pragmatic solution? :D

Edited by mezzoninny