New To Chiang Mai

jamesthefirst

Hi,

I've been in Thailand for a few years but have recently decided to uproot from Bangkok and live in Chiang Mai.

So far I like it here very much. It's so refreshing to live in a cooler climate to that of Bangkok, especially in the evenings, and the place is just, well, nice.

I will be renewing my Non O visa soon. Where do the majority of farangs in this city head to? People keep mentioning the Mai Sai border, but not sure if they have a Thai consulate on the other side. Failing that I'll probably head to Vientiane. Would like to get a flight either directly there (without bypassing Bangkok) or to Udon Thani. Can anyone tell me any airlines that go from Chiang Mai to either of those places direct?

Also, just had a pie and mash at the Red Lion. Not bad, but preffered the Sunday roast at The Pub last week. Have yet to check out the Queen Vic. Where are the best places to get some decent English food around here?

Please, your answers to the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Ta very much.

Edited by jamesthefirst

I don't have good news for you. The Nok Air flight to Udon Thani have been discontinued and there are no non-stop flights to Vientiane. I assume you meant you'd like to bypass bangkok, not "without bypassing Bangkok".

There's also no Thai consulate in Tachilek on the Burmese side of the border.

As for "decent English food", isn't that an oxymoron?

If you go for Vientiane then easiest way (imo) is to take a fIight to Udon Thani. You can grab a minibus at the airport to the border (about an hour i think), then a bus across from Thai immigration to Lao immigration (a few minutes), where you wiII get your visa on arrival then you can head across into Ioas where you can get a taxi (watch out, the 2 times ive taken a taxi - aIthough I took from town to the airport, not into town - they try to scam you with the price. Even though i was speaking Thai and confirmed a price, there was a bit of drama from the driver about cost just before he wouId drop me off. I reaIIy hate stuff Iike that. Might be just that i was unIucky. I prefer taking a shared songtau or tuktuk) tuktuk, or songtau into town. (you can go straight to the consulate i beIieve, but ive never risked it, preferring to go earIy the next morning. Takes about 20 minutes).

If you stay overnight, get to the embassy very earIy, as it gets packed fast, and a Iot of queue jumpers. I generaIIy arrive 30 mins - 1 hour before it opens (and usuaIIy even then about 50 or more peopIe in front of me).

Cant suggest any EngIish food, as i dont eat it. :D But, weIcome to Chiang Mai. :o

edit: It takes 2 days to process your visa there. Morning appIication first day, coIIection next day in the afternoon.

Edited by eek

Mad dog pub does decent English grub! spuds n cheese etc :o as does 'The Pub' in the evenings.

otherwise if you want really decent grub, there are several very expensive french and italian restaurants in town that might do decent imitations of english fare...

I go to Mae Sai on motorbike via the windy mountain roads for fun, but you can get a minibus for 700 baht...

Edited by UKWEBPRO

I don't have good news for you. The Nok Air flight to Udon Thani have been discontinued and there are no non-stop flights to Vientiane. I assume you meant you'd like to bypass bangkok, not "without bypassing Bangkok".

There's also no Thai consulate in Tachilek on the Burmese side of the border.

As for "decent English food", isn't that an oxymoron?

Cheers buddy.

If you go for Vientiane then easiest way (imo) is to take a fIight to Udon Thani. You can grab a minibus at the airport to the border (about an hour i think), then a bus across from Thai immigration to Lao immigration (a few minutes), where you wiII get your visa on arrival then you can head across into Ioas where you can get a taxi (watch out, the 2 times ive taken a taxi - aIthough I took from town to the airport, not into town - they try to scam you with the price. Even though i was speaking Thai and confirmed a price, there was a bit of drama from the driver about cost just before he wouId drop me off. I reaIIy hate stuff Iike that. Might be just that i was unIucky. I prefer taking a shared songtau or tuktuk) tuktuk, or songtau into town. (you can go straight to the consulate i beIieve, but ive never risked it, preferring to go earIy the next morning. Takes about 20 minutes).

If you stay overnight, get to the embassy very earIy, as it gets packed fast, and a Iot of queue jumpers. I generaIIy arrive 30 mins - 1 hour before it opens (and usuaIIy even then about 50 or more peopIe in front of me).

Cant suggest any EngIish food, as i dont eat it. :D But, weIcome to Chiang Mai. :o

Thanks.

edit: It takes 2 days to process your visa there. Morning appIication first day, coIIection next day in the afternoon.

Oh and if Mae Sai suits your needs, the bus ride is actually pretty comfy. Just make sure you take the VIP bus (one with the least seats). Leg room is great! :o

Definitely DONT recommend the bus to Udon. Did it once (overnight bus) and the hours travelling on what was advertised as a VIP bus (but definately wasnt) round hellish bends at(what seemed like) breakneck speeds, coupled with lots of snoring people, interesting smells (including the pungent toilet), just wasnt worth it!

I will be renewing my Non O visa soon. Where do the majority of farangs in this city head to? People keep mentioning the Mai Sai border, but not sure if they have a Thai consulate on the other side. Failing that I'll probably head to Vientiane.

Hello welcome

If you really mean renew your vise rather than merely a 90 day stamp then you will almost certainly have to head back to the UK to get it. If I'm wrong I'd be interested in other solutions because I will have to be doing the same soon and have not discovered a viable alternative :o

Apart from that sit back and enjoy Chiang Mai - English grub at The Pub (as you have discovered) Mad Dogs (as recommended above) The Olde Bell also has some decent dishes and as an alternative try the US establishment Dukes but only the river restaurant and NOT the poor copy at the night bazaar.

Oh and if Mae Sai suits your needs, the bus ride is actually pretty comfy. Just make sure you take the VIP bus (one with the least seats). Leg room is great! :o

Definitely DONT recommend the bus to Udon. Did it once (overnight bus) and the hours travelling on what was advertised as a VIP bus (but definately wasnt) round hellish bends at(what seemed like) breakneck speeds, coupled with lots of snoring people, interesting smells (including the pungent toilet), just wasnt worth it!

Looks like I have no choice but to get the bus to Udon. Can't be arsed paying extra to go through Bangkok then back to Udon. No flights any more to Udon from here, the lady in the travel agents said no trains to Nong Khai either, have to go to Bangkok first???

Will be getting my usual 90 day non O. Oh well, suppose I'll have to take a bottle of Sang Som on the bus with me.

No flights any more to Udon from here, the lady in the travel agents said no trains to Nong Khai either, have to go to Bangkok first???

huh? :o ..hmm wait a sec..time to go to Nok Air website...brb..

back.

Bloody hel_l, your right! Wth happened? No more cmx to udon? I have to go next month..looks like its going to be a roundabout trip :/

The other option you have is to go cmx direct to Kuala Lumpur with air asia. Check the visa situation with the guys from the visa forum first though to make sure they are being visa friendly atm.

dam_n :D

Edited by eek

I will be renewing my Non O visa soon. Where do the majority of farangs in this city head to? People keep mentioning the Mai Sai border, but not sure if they have a Thai consulate on the other side. Failing that I'll probably head to Vientiane.

Hello welcome

If you really mean renew your vise rather than merely a 90 day stamp then you will almost certainly have to head back to the UK to get it. If I'm wrong I'd be interested in other solutions because I will have to be doing the same soon and have not discovered a viable alternative :o

Apart from that sit back and enjoy Chiang Mai - English grub at The Pub (as you have discovered) Mad Dogs (as recommended above) The Olde Bell also has some decent dishes and as an alternative try the US establishment Dukes but only the river restaurant and NOT the poor copy at the night bazaar.

You can get a one year visa in both Rangoon and Singapore. No need to fly all the way to UK.

You can also renew your one year visa right here in Chiangmai at the immigration office close to the airport.

No flights any more to Udon from here, the lady in the travel agents said no trains to Nong Khai either, have to go to Bangkok first???

back.

Bloody hel_l, your right! Wth happened? No more cmx to udon? I have to go next month..looks like its going to be a roundabout trip :/

The other option you have is to go cmx direct to Kuala Lumpur with air asia. Check the visa situation with the guys from the visa forum first though to make sure they are being visa friendly atm.

Just booked my twelve hour bus trip to Udon Thani, as they don't go to Nong Khai, but know can get a bus there no probs.

TWELVE hours! Bloody hel_l!

Will need a few Beerlaos when I get there!

Edited by jamesthefirst

Hi,

I've been in Thailand for a few years but have recently decided to uproot from Bangkok and live in Chiang Mai.

So far I like it here very much. It's so refreshing to live in a cooler climate to that of Bangkok, especially in the evenings, and the place is just, well, nice.

I will be renewing my Non O visa soon. Where do the majority of farangs in this city head to? People keep mentioning the Mai Sai border, but not sure if they have a Thai consulate on the other side. Failing that I'll probably head to Vientiane. Would like to get a flight either directly there (without bypassing Bangkok) or to Udon Thani. Can anyone tell me any airlines that go from Chiang Mai to either of those places direct?

Also, just had a pie and mash at the Red Lion. Not bad, but preffered the Sunday roast at The Pub last week. Have yet to check out the Queen Vic. Where are the best places to get some decent English food around here?

Ta very much.

I might be slightly biased, but I would say try to come English food at Queen Victoria ... in fact, I am the new owner of the queen vic.

From the breakfast to the beef&guiness pie I guess you may find what you are looking for. :o

Cheers

Pascal

john said u can renew ur 1 yr o visa from rangoon or singapore ...i think he is mistaken ,,,as far as i am conserned u need to go back to uk to do that !!!

It is you that is wrong dmax !

Absolutely no reason to go back to UK for visa !

I applied for and got my non imm. "O" (based on marriage) in Vientianne.

Edited by princealbert

It is you that is wrong dmax

Absolutely no reason to go back to UK for visa

It seems jamesthefirst only wants to extend his non '0' Visa by 90 days so isn't MaeSai much the easier way to do that? As he's already booked his "twelve hour trip" the question doesn't arise for him but I'd certainly like to know, as I have to do my Visa run next month. Isn't it only 4 hours to Mae Sai? He did originally ask for the best/easiest/most popular way to go.

back.

Just booked my twelve hour bus trip to Udon Thani, as they don't go to Nong Khai, but know can get a bus there no probs.

Avoid the bus offered by the Chakapong Company located inside the Arcade bus station. The bus they advertise as a VIP bus is nothing more than a shack on wheels as another member correctly phrased it. Ask around and find a company that offers a comfortable double-decker bus. More info in this post --->http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourist-Visa-t225488.html

It is you that is wrong dmax

Absolutely no reason to go back to UK for visa

It seems jamesthefirst only wants to extend his non '0' Visa by 90 days so isn't MaeSai much the easier way to do that? As he's already booked his "twelve hour trip" the question doesn't arise for him but I'd certainly like to know, as I have to do my Visa run next month. Isn't it only 4 hours to Mae Sai? He did originally ask for the best/easiest/most popular way to go.

Jamesthefirst says he is renewing his non "O" which i did at Chiand Mai Immigration.

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.

back.

Avoid the bus offered by the Chakapong Company located inside the Arcade bus station. The bus they advertise as a VIP bus is nothing more than a shack on wheels as another member correctly phrased it. Ask around and find a company that offers a comfortable double-decker bus. More info in this post --->http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourist-Visa-t225488.html

I wish I knew this 2 weeks ago when I took the trip. I used Chakrapong on the way to Udon Thani and it's a cramp 2x2x8 seating arrangement. Fortunately my bus made it on time but apparently their busses break down a lot and I met some folks in Vientiane who traveled a day before me and their bus broke down and did not continue for 6 hours while they just sat there. On the way back I bought a return ticket next to the noodle shop at the U.T. bus station and it was a much more comfortable double decker which made the trip more pleasant. If you can arrange for any of the 4 seats at the very front they have lots of leg room. In addition the double decker busses have sleeping berths down below. Unfortunately they are asian sized and no way would I fit in one. Also if you decide to take a sleeping birth you give up your seat on the upper level.

If anyone knows an office to buy double decker tour bus tickets to U.T from CM then please post.

Hi,

Ta very much.

I might be slightly biased, but I would say try to come English food at Queen Victoria ... in fact, I am the new owner of the queen vic.

From the breakfast to the beef&guiness pie I guess you may find what you are looking for. :o

Cheers

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes, the Queen Vic is definitely on my top list of places to go. I in fact did turn up there a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday in the evening, but the carvery had sold out. I'll go there earlier another day.

Heard also that the place had a new owner, so nice to hear from you. Will introduce myself personally when I'm there next.

Cheers

back.

I wish I knew this 2 weeks ago when I took the trip. I used Chakrapong on the way to Udon Thani and it's a cramp 2x2x8 seating arrangement. Fortunately my bus made it on time but apparently their busses break down a lot and I met some folks in Vientiane who traveled a day before me and their bus broke down and did not continue for 6 hours while they just sat there. On the way back I bought a return ticket next to the noodle shop at the U.T. bus station and it was a much more comfortable double decker which made the trip more pleasant. If you can arrange for any of the 4 seats at the very front they have lots of leg room. In addition the double decker busses have sleeping berths down below. Unfortunately they are asian sized and no way would I fit in one. Also if you decide to take a sleeping birth you give up your seat on the upper level.

If anyone knows an office to buy double decker tour bus tickets to U.T from CM then please post.

Yeah I travelled Chakrapong and they were <deleted> indeed, did get me to and from there on time and safely but uncomfortable ride. For some strange reason on both journeys they turned up the air conditioning full blast. Probably wanted to make the mostly european farangs from cold countries feel at home.

Can't sleep on busses so had to drink myself into a stupor both in Chiang Mai and Udon Stations, which knocked me out cold.

Bring back the CM to Udon flight, I say...

Jamesthefirst says he is renewing his non "O" which i did at Chiand Mai Immigration.

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.

How strange that jamesthefirst, who originally wanted to know the easiest way to "renew his visa" (or was it just to extend it by 90 days) has entirely ignored your stunning contradiction of all that's gone before, in favour of food. He's obviously willing to suffer the agonies of a 12 hour bus journey to God knows where so long as when he gets back there's a steaming plate of hotpot, pie and mash or Sunday Roast waiting at journey's end. So he's quite in tune with most members of this board.

Edited by Asmerom

How strange that jamesthefirst, who originally wanted to know the easiest way to "renew his visa" (or was it just to extend it by 90 days) has entirely ignored your stunning contradiction of all that's gone before, in favour of food. He's obviously willing to suffer the agonies of a 12 hour bus journey to God knows where so long as when he gets back there's a steaming plate of hotpot, pie and mash or Sunday Roast waiting at journey's end. So he's quite in tune with most members of this board.

It was all going nicely until your silly message, sir.

I originally asked where was the most popular place to get a new non o visa with the expat community of Chiang Mai. Had there have been a flight from CM to Udon, I would have taken it but there is no longer a flight along this route, and I refuse to go via Bangkok and pay extra.

I now have my new non o, and am content, as well as with being back in Chiang Mai, thank you.

Is one of the highlights of your life verbally gunning people down on thaivisa.com sir? If so, then you need to get a life!

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.Than Chiang Mai.

It was all going nicely until your silly message, sir.

I originally asked where was the most popular place to get a new non o visa with the expat community of Chiang Mai. Had there have been a flight from CM to Udon, I would have taken it but there is no longer a flight along this route, and I refuse to go via Bangkok and pay extra.

I now have my new non o, and am content, as well as with being back in Chiang Mai, thank you.

Is one of the highlights of your life verbally gunning people down on thaivisa.com sir? If so, then you need to get a life!

No, it isn't. I was just very puzzled as to why you didn't go to Mae Sai which is apparently only a four hour journey, or to Chiang Mai as princealbert suggests which might be a half hour journey. I was seeking this information as it would be of use to me and you have ignored both questions. I'm sorry my poor attempt to inject a little humour into my post strikes you as being ill intentioned. I must try better next time.