New To Chiang Mai

jamesthefirst

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.Than Chiang Mai.

It was all going nicely until your silly message, sir.

I originally asked where was the most popular place to get a new non o visa with the expat community of Chiang Mai. Had there have been a flight from CM to Udon, I would have taken it but there is no longer a flight along this route, and I refuse to go via Bangkok and pay extra.

I now have my new non o, and am content, as well as with being back in Chiang Mai, thank you.

Is one of the highlights of your life verbally gunning people down on thaivisa.com sir? If so, then you need to get a life!

No, it isn't. I was just very puzzled as to why you didn't go to Mae Sai which is apparently only a four hour journey, or to Chiang Mai as princealbert suggests which might be a half hour journey. I was seeking this information as it would be of use to me and you have ignored both questions. I'm sorry my poor attempt to inject a little humour into my post strikes you as being ill intentioned. I must try better next time.

Apology accepted.

Mae Sai, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is good only for the one month stamp. As far as I'm aware, there is no Thai Consulate on the other side, or even close to the border, which would be no good for me, as I need one of those outlets in order to apply for my Non O visa.

So looks like it's Vientiane again in three months...

Alternatively, You could get a Double entry tourist visa, then you would only need to go to Vientiane every 6 months with a trip to Mae Sai after 3 to trigger the second entry.

It also looks like you can only get 15 days now at the border for those who do not have a visa.

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.Than Chiang Mai.

It was all going nicely until your silly message, sir.

I originally asked where was the most popular place to get a new non o visa with the expat community of Chiang Mai. Had there have been a flight from CM to Udon, I would have taken it but there is no longer a flight along this route, and I refuse to go via Bangkok and pay extra.

I now have my new non o, and am content, as well as with being back in Chiang Mai, thank you.

Is one of the highlights of your life verbally gunning people down on thaivisa.com sir? If so, then you need to get a life!

No, it isn't. I was just very puzzled as to why you didn't go to Mae Sai which is apparently only a four hour journey, or to Chiang Mai as princealbert suggests which might be a half hour journey. I was seeking this information as it would be of use to me and you have ignored both questions. I'm sorry my poor attempt to inject a little humour into my post strikes you as being ill intentioned. I must try better next time.

Apology accepted.

Mae Sai, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is good only for the one month stamp. As far as I'm aware, there is no Thai Consulate on the other side, or even close to the border, which would be no good for me, as I need one of those outlets in order to apply for my Non O visa.

Jamesthefirst says he is renewing his non "O" which i did at Chiand Mai Immigration.

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.

When you say you "renewed" your non-immigrant "0" Visa at Chiang Mai ( for one year?) did you have to prove your income just as if you were transfering to A Retirement Visa? I'm hoping for a speedy reply.

Jamesthefirst says he is renewing his non "O" which i did at Chiand Mai Immigration.

So unless the rules have changes since March this year then i can see no reason to have to go anywhere else for this purpose alone.

When you say you "renewed" your non-immigrant "0" Visa at Chiang Mai ( for one year?) did you have to prove your income just as if you were transfering to A Retirement Visa? I'm hoping for a speedy reply.

I expect you have better things to do unless you've been deported. :o

The guys at Thai visa make it quite clear that you cannot renew or extend the non immi O" Visa without having to produce all the money requirements, same as a Retirement Visa. I cannot see the difference. Unless its just the age (over 50) to apply for the Reirement Visa.

Apology accepted.

Thanks.

You are wrong about the one month stamp ; you can get 90 days but correct about being unable to apply for the "O" Visa at Mae Sai. No Thai Consulate. I checked with those guys at Thai Visa forum. They are immensely knowledgable about these things.

Can we first clarify if this is a 1 year non imm. "O" based on marriage ?

If your visa is based on marriage then all you need to do is go to immigration in Chiang Mai and report every 90 days, and then re-apply (approx. 28 days) before that expires for a new non "O".

Really isn't complicated and unless a you are wanting to take a trip outside Thailand no need to go to Vientianne at all. If you do take a trip out of Thailand then you can extend the non "O" you have for approx. 1800 baht,

Please re-read my previous posts. I never mentioned that I was 'renewing my Non O at Chiang Mai Immigration'.

Hi,

I've been in Thailand for a few years but have recently decided to uproot from Bangkok and live in Chiang Mai.

So far I like it here very much. It's so refreshing to live in a cooler climate to that of Bangkok, especially in the evenings, and the place is just, well, nice.

I will be renewing my Non O visa soon. Where do the majority of farangs in this city head to? People keep mentioning the Mai Sai border, but not sure if they have a Thai consulate on the other side. Failing that I'll probably head to Vientiane. Would like to get a flight either directly there (without bypassing Bangkok) or to Udon Thani. Can anyone tell me any airlines that go from Chiang Mai to either of those places direct?

Also, just had a pie and mash at the Red Lion. Not bad, but preffered the Sunday roast at The Pub last week. Have yet to check out the Queen Vic. Where are the best places to get some decent English food around here?

Please, your answers to the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Ta very much.

All i was trying to point out was that its not a necessity to leave Thailand to renew your non "O"

Oh and if Mae Sai suits your needs, the bus ride is actually pretty comfy. Just make sure you take the VIP bus (one with the least seats). Leg room is great! :o

Definitely DONT recommend the bus to Udon. Did it once (overnight bus) and the hours travelling on what was advertised as a VIP bus (but definately wasnt) round hellish bends at(what seemed like) breakneck speeds, coupled with lots of snoring people, interesting smells (including the pungent toilet), just wasnt worth it!

Looks like I have no choice but to get the bus to Udon. Can't be arsed paying extra to go through Bangkok then back to Udon. No flights any more to Udon from here, the lady in the travel agents said no trains to Nong Khai either, have to go to Bangkok first???

Will be getting my usual 90 day non O. Oh well, suppose I'll have to take a bottle of Sang Som on the bus with me.

You always have had to take the train from Bkk to Nong Khai, there never was a route to Nong Khai otherwise

All I was trying to point out was that its not a necessity to leave Thailand to renew your non "O"

I wonder why you ignored my question directed to you personally, about the necessity to prove income or "money in the bank" when you renewed your Visa at Chiang Mai and insread, addressed your message to jamesthefirst who hadn't asked you a question?

All I was trying to point out was that its not a necessity to leave Thailand to renew your non "O"

I wonder why you ignored my question directed to you personally, about the necessity to prove income or "money in the bank" when you renewed your Visa at Chiang Mai and insread, addressed your message to jamesthefirst who hadn't asked you a question?

OK just for you Asmerom :D:D

Yes you have to prove income if under 50 (as i am) for each new 1 year non "O" visa. :o