Vista 64 Wireless Internet Pc Issues

Sabum

Hey a while ago I asked for advice on getting my wireless internet faster, turns out the wireless isn't as horrible as I thought (although its still pretty bad). Wireless in my apartment on my lenovo XP laptop is quick enough to do what I need, but my top of the line smoking fast new Vista 64 pc connecting with wireless is soooooo slow I can barely function. Now Ive been reading online that many people are experiencing slow internet on wireless with vista 64 but as of yet no solutions that I could find.

No I cannot use a landline, I have to use wireless since my apartment only offers internet for vista with wireless, landline of course is fast. Like I said the wireless they hooked up is not a problem, xp is good, just super slow on vista 64.

Im using a linksys wireless adapter WMP54G, drivers are up to date.

Any ideas on how to configure or fix this slow internet on vista 64 bit problem?

One of the features with vista is it will try to find a stronger/more powerful wireless connection every 60 seconds or so, you might want to try and find that and disable it as it might help you.

I use Vista64 wireless and i've not really experienced any problems, but then my wireless router is 6" away from my base unit - so that might make a difference.

Also, if they say at your place that internet for Vista has to be wireless, just lie and tell them its XP, or get them to provide wired internet to your laptop and then change it over when they leave - the configuration will be practically the same anyway... so they wont notice any difference :o

Edited by Wolfie

This is a problem card for Vista and Mac's appearantly (drivers suxx).. But there is a solution which might work:

1. Go to Ralink Windows Driver and download the RT61 PCI/mPCI/CB driver for Vista X86/X64

2. Extract and run the Setup program which will take about 5 minutes to complete

3. Click Finish to complete the RT6x Wireless LAN Card Setup

4. Open the Windows Device Manager

5. Right-Click on the Network Controller under 'Other devices', and select Properties

6. Select the Driver tab and click on 'Update Driver' button

7. On the upcoming screen, select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

8. I am not 100% sure if it's necessary to browse to the VistaX64 folder before you continue, but just to be safe here, browse to the VistaX64 folder (in my case it was installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\RALINK\RT6x Wireless LAN Card\Installer\VISTAX64), and then select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

9. On the upcoming screen, select 'Network Adapters' and click Next

10. Now comes the part where you may have to try different Ralink drivers using trial-and-error. Select 'Ralink Technology, Inc.' under the Manufacturer listbox, and try out some of the Network Adapters which will appear in the right listbox. In my case, the 'Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card' did the job. If you selected a non-working driver, you will get the typical 'Device cannot be started error (Error 10)'.

Hope this helps :o

I had huge problems with Vista and wireless, it just crawled. Even though the router was only 5 foot away! Changed it to a wired connection and it went from 500Kbs to 17Mbs

If you surf the net you will find lots of solutions for this problem. I tried them all and none worked.

Regards

Chris