British Movie Help, Please.

FolkGuitar

I'm trying to find the name of a movie that I saw years ago. It was a British film, comedy-drama if I remember correctly, about five UK construction workers from different parts of the UK, all with REALLY strong regional accents, sharing an apartment. Their accents were so strong that this film, although everyone was speaking English, had English sub-titles!

Anyone remember the name of this movie?

I'm trying to find the name of a movie that I saw years ago. It was a British film, comedy-drama if I remember correctly, about five UK construction workers from different parts of the UK, all with REALLY strong regional accents, sharing an apartment. Their accents were so strong that this film, although everyone was speaking English, had English sub-titles!

sounds like 'auf wiedersehen pet' written by dick clement & ian la frenais, bits and bobs on 'youtube',

If it was set in Germany then my guess as well is that it was 'auf wiedersehen pet' .

sounds like 'auf wiedersehen pet' written by dick clement & ian la frenais, bits and bobs on 'youtube',

first series was set in germany and the second in spain wasn't it? absolutely classic stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086665/

It was great but I don't remember it being a movie / film or having subtitles :o

guess it depends where the OP watched it. think i remember it being shown in the US with subtitles for example. wonder what viewers over the pond made of oz's version of the german 'thank you'? why aye, donkey <deleted> to you an' all like.

Might it be Ken Loach's Riff-Raff from 1991, with Robert Carlyle and Ricky Tomlinson in it?

That's a possible.... I know it was at least 15-20 years ago that I saw it. I seem to think perhaps more. I'll have to see if I can find that one using bit torrent...

The setting was London. No question about that. And it was a feature-length movie that I rented from a video shop, not a TV series or show. Five construction workers from different regions of the UK sharing an apartment.

Thanks, folks, for all your suggestions. :o

If it was definitely set in London I can't think of anything it would be other than Riff-Raff

51r3LZznywL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Definitely a movie set in London. That's one of the things I remember clearly, along with it being five construction workers rooming together and English subtitles. That, and the fact that it was a British-made comedy-drama. Unfortunately, that's about all I remember. :o

If I had more information I could run some searches and maybe come up with a title. I remember being so amazed at the extent of the accents and the need for the English subtitles, so I'm guessing that it was before I moved to Asia and had more contact with heavy accents, which puts it back to the late 80's or the very beginning of the 90's. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that it was made then... just that's when I saw it. I don't know if it was new at the time, just that I found it in a video rental store.

first series was set in germany and the second in spain wasn't it? absolutely classic stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086665/

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

3rd series in North East England and Las Vegas, 4th in Cuba, and then a Special...

Special

A new "special" comprising two 1-hour episodes was shot in Bangkok and Chiang Mai in July - August 2004 and was broadcast on BBC 1 on 27 and 28 December.

Iain