Safe To Carry Extra Gasoline In The Trunk

MattFS218

I'm planning on driving to laos and spending 30 days there. I know unleaded gasoline isn't readily available, and that gasohol in Thailand tends to be significantlly cheaper than Gasoline outside of VTE in Laos. I'm considering buying a fuel container and carrying some extra fuel in my trunk. Is this safe? I'm mostly concerned about my trunk blowing up due to an accidental static discharge and if the fuel will stay good under the heat of my black sedan's trunk.

Where can I buy a fuel contain in Thailand, and how much should they cost? Or should I just get some cola liter contains and use those?

--matt

If you have even a small leak it could become a very explosive mixture, is it worth the risk for saving a few baht? If you look at a military vehicle they carry those fuel containers in an open area that is well vented.

what car have you got, if fuel injection will be no problem with the lower octane. the car's computer sorts it's self out.

allan

I drove to laos recently with my Honda Jazz. Filled up an almost empty tank with local 91, drove fine, no problems, just more expensive. But i would'nt take extra petrol along, not worth the hassle.

My only real hassle was waiting for hours for the ferry in ChangKong/HouayXa river crossing, and the fact my Jazz was a bit low/smallwheeled for the rather crude ferry access. But made it without hassle.

BTW, that ferry doesn't run on Sundays, maybe also not on saturdays.

I'm planning on driving to laos and spending 30 days there. I know unleaded gasoline isn't readily available, and that gasohol in Thailand tends to be significantlly cheaper than Gasoline outside of VTE in Laos. I'm considering buying a fuel container and carrying some extra fuel in my trunk. Is this safe? I'm mostly concerned about my trunk blowing up due to an accidental static discharge and if the fuel will stay good under the heat of my black sedan's trunk.

Where can I buy a fuel contain in Thailand, and how much should they cost? Or should I just get some cola liter contains and use those?

I think you have made your choice already - but I was interested enough to do a quick calculation.

Bottom line (roughly) if Thai fuel is 20 a litre and Lao fuel is 50 Baht a litre you can see a saving of 30 Baht for each litre you carry. How much can you safely carry - without over loading the car and still keeping space for luggage?

Even ignoring probable safetly laws about carrying fuel within an enclosed space (trunk) I doubt you could carry more than about ten litres? Fifteen at a push? (( Does your insurance company have a point of view about taking the car over AND filling the trunk with gas? ))

So for a saving of 15 Litres x 30 Baht = 450 Baht you run the risk of soaking the back of your car with fuel and possible explosion. Don't forget that if you don't have a suitable container - you will need to buy one. (Cost?)

The whole idea is, IMHO, madness.

If you had a diesel powered pickup, and carried fuel in the exposed load space it might be practical - however, I can imgine the conversation with Laoian border guards about the import duty you need to pay on the fuel to sell in Lao without a licence. And I say sell as I doubt they will believe you are a tourist because tourists don't travel like that.

Best spend the time practicing smooth driving to conserve fuel and planning your route to avoid waste if you are looking to control your fuel costs in Laos.

HTH