South African Woman Arrested Trying To Smuggle Out 3 Million Baht Of Heroin

sriracha john

Customs Department seizes Bt4.5 million in smuggled items

The Customs Department today successfully apprehended smugglers transporting narcotics and other items in and out of the country, seizing up to 4.5 million baht in merchandise.

Deputy Director-General of the Customs Department Somchai Pumsawat revealed that his officers have succesfully apprehended a female smuggler from South Africa attempting to transport heroin out of the country. The 24 year old woman was preparing to leave to China via Air Asia with 657 grams, or about 3 million baht worth of narcotics hidden in her genitals and bra. The arrested woman has been charged with several crimes and will be deported.

The department also was able to seize tax evaded products and products infringing on intellectual property rights such as alcohol, socks and DVDs with a total cost of 1.5 million baht.

The department has thus far been able to seize over 11,348 smuggled items with a total cost of 5.36 billion baht.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-17

owwwwwww NASTY......

What is interesting, apart from allegations that Ms. Pudenda had a suit case load packed inside herself, is that this is the second recent heroin arrest after a relative lengthy period of time when most drug related arrests were meth related and not heroin related. It will be interesting to see if this heroin originated along the Thai borderlands indicating a rekindling of the heroin trade up north after a lengthy dormancy

badah bing... just yesterday...

Golden Triangle opium production on the rise

Chiang Mai - Authorities are worried about an increase in poppy cultivation in the Golden Triangle,

fearing that opium production in the region would be boosted due to the global economic slowdown.......

He said poppy-growing areas in the country's northern region, a prime cultivating area,

increased from 700 to 1,800 rai last year and was expected to grow to 2,000 rai this year..........

Thailand, meanwhile, has its own five-year plan to reduce planting areas, he said.

The NCB will focus on areas where opium is grown repeatedly

even though authorities destroy the plants every year.....

most opium growers in Thailand are financed by influential figures, most of whom are either local politicians or ex-state officials.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=132086

So..

Basically they are moving the fields to new locations every year,

while the eradication efforts target the same old sites repeatedly.

The 5 year plan is a total cockup because cultivation has more than DOUBLED this year.

Some Thais are making lots of money on this.

But in competition with Shan Army and Laos puyais.

So they destroy the crop,

but never replace it with a good cash crop that earns good money per hectaire.

Any bets on if this poor lady was a pawn of the competitors,

targeted for a flashy distraction take down,

as the LOCAL product moved to market quietly...

TIT...

infringing on intellectual property rights such as alcohol, socks

intellectual property rights ........... socks ??????????????

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnner! yahoo.gif

I've been patiently waiting for someone...anyone... to make that specific connection since I posted the OP yesterday and to make a post specifically regarding it.

Bkkboet (Honorable Mention) came very close with his earlier post, but the incomparable taxexile takes home the prize.... Smiley_trophy.gif

ThaiNews makes so many of these outlandish statements that perhaps TV could initiate some sort of "Find The Buried Absurdity in ThaiNews" contest on a weekly basis.

I've been patiently waiting for someone...anyone... to make that specific connection since I posted the OP yesterday and to make a post specifically regarding it.

Bkkboet (Honorable Mention) came very close with his earlier post, but the incomparable taxexile takes home the prize.... Smiley_trophy.gif

ThaiNews makes so many of these outlandish statements that perhaps TV could initiate some sort of "Find The Buried Absurdity in ThaiNews" contest on a weekly basis.

I have been waiting patiently as well.

It occured to me from the start that this sounded strange then I assumed that the socks must have been empossed with a Nike or Lacoste logo.

Can I be a winner as well please for thinking the obvious.

What is interesting, apart from allegations that Ms. Pudenda had a suit case load packed inside herself, is that this is the second recent heroin arrest after a relative lengthy period of time when most drug related arrests were meth related and not heroin related. It will be interesting to see if this heroin originated along the Thai borderlands indicating a rekindling of the heroin trade up north after a lengthy dormancy

Chiang Mai - Authorities are worried about an increase in poppy cultivation in the Golden Triangle,

fearing that opium production in the region would be boosted due to the global economic slowdown.......

He said poppy-growing areas in the country's northern region, a prime cultivating area,

increased from 700 to 1,800 rai last year and was expected to grow to 2,000 rai this year..........

Thailand, meanwhile, has its own five-year plan to reduce planting areas, he said.

most opium growers in Thailand are financed by influential figures, most of whom are either local politicians or ex-state officials.

Continued here:

So..

The 5 year plan is a total cockup because cultivation has more than DOUBLED this year.

TIT...

No cash crop in the world gets remotely close per hectare as narcotics.

I have been waiting patiently as well.

It occured to me from the start that this sounded strange then I assumed that the socks must have been empossed with a Nike or Lacoste logo.

Can I be a winner as well please for thinking the obvious.

Sorry, but the Rules Committee has dictated that the noticed absurdity must be posted on in order to qualify. But now that you know... you can eagerly join the pool for next week's competition.

Are we misreading this news report ??? The amount of smuggled items quoted surely did not come from this one lady !! There was a warning on TV a couple of months ago of increased X Raying of incoming baggage at the Airport. I can confirm this as three times in the last two months that I have returned to BKK every suitcase going through has been checked and not randomly but without exception.

read the original post....it says

"The Customs Department today successfully apprehended smugglers transporting narcotics and other items in and out of the country, seizing up to 4.5 million baht in merchandise."

I always thought that plural was more than one...

More than one smuggler was transporting all those goodies in and out of the country

Only the one girl was carrying the drugs.

Continued here:

So..

TIT...

Saffron for sure, and likely coffee.

Customs Department seizes Bt4.5 million in smuggled items

The Customs Department today successfully apprehended smugglers transporting narcotics and other items in and out of the country, seizing up to 4.5 million baht in merchandise.

Deputy Director-General of the Customs Department Somchai Pumsawat revealed that his officers have succesfully apprehended a female smuggler from South Africa attempting to transport heroin out of the country. The 24 year old woman was preparing to leave to China via Air Asia with 657 grams, or about 3 million baht worth of narcotics hidden in her genitals and bra. The arrested woman has been charged with several crimes and will be deported.

The department also was able to seize tax evaded products and products infringing on intellectual property rights such as alcohol, socks and DVDs with a total cost of 1.5 million baht.

The department has thus far been able to seize over 11,348 smuggled items with a total cost of 5.36 billion baht.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-17

Socks ? :o

I would qualify this statement by noting that few cash crops grown in regions with very poor transportation infrastructure are as profitable as narcotics. This is a bit self evident as other food crops are usually bulky and need to be transported rather quickly to market. But having lived close to a Mong village outside of Chiang Mai that once was a major producer of opium, with the improvement of all season roads and the introduction of alternative cash crops, I have seen that the farmers are now far better off financially now growing edibles than in the past when dependent upon opium production.

A return to opium production up north indicates a weakening US presence along with a weakening Thai government presence, both probably a result of concerns in the respective capitols. It also indicates perhaps the strengthening of the Burmese government in their northeastern border areas. I have been away far too long to know the current details.

Of course the easiest and cheapest way to deal with a heroin problem is to simply pay the farmers directly for the opium. But there are powers that be, both at the apex of politics and finances (two sides of the same coin) that would be very unhappy with such an inexpensive and parsimonious solution that would cut them out of their share of the profits.

With the long term global recession and perhaps an impending global economic depression, expect to see major upticks in the narcotics trade in order that the soon to be unemployed masses are properly anesthetized. I am based in the US and work in the retail industry and one of the few sectors that I have heard that is booming, other than the gun shops, are the indoor grow light businesses.

Good God, the bleeding heart brigade is really out on this one. If she can do the crime, she can do the time. The only reason she's getting any sympathy is because she is a woman. If she were a he, everyone would want to see a lynching.

not so much the bleeding hearts

but the ones who are just wanting the real guilty to be punished

I tell you a common story. South america... this happens all the time

"a poor farmer works all day , comes home and local mob boss is standing there at his house and says

you wife and child look well today- here, carry this to USA and they will live a few more years..."

think this does not happen? if so, you know nothing, is this poor man scum? would you liked to see him lynched?

do you know the full story behind this woman? is there a remote chance that this could eb the case yes/no/ maybe?

before we can go around shouting the sort of silly things said often here we should all take a much closer look into the case and resist the sheep like tendancy

that as caused many of society bullied people to spend far too long in jail and go sadly to their deaths