Getting A Taxi From Bkk To Hotel Without Being Scammed?

whizgig

Hi,

Sorry for what might sound like an obvious question:

Where do I go once arrived at BKK airport to get a taxi to the hotel i've booked. Never been before but I was told by someone whose been there many times (not in touch with him anymore) that I need to go downstairs or something to where you tell someone where you want to go and he calls the cab for you. Is there a special taxi area that is legit, not just asking the driver then get the runaround town?

How much should I expect to pay for a cab to Sukhumvit Rd. area?

Thanks.

Don't go downstairs any more. Just go outside and look for public taxis. Insist on the meter and keep the docket and you'll be fine.

And get him to print out the map of where the hotel is if it's not a well known one.

Edited by tw25rw

Just get a taxi meter from the rank. You pay the meter plus Bt50 airport surcharge. You pay the tolls as well, about Bt70 or so. Expect about Bt300-400 all in for lower to mid Sukhumvit.

I agree to print out a map of the hotel if you don't know it (as 1st timer you can't know) and still beware that as in most countries, taxis sometimes want to go the scenic route to add a little to the fare. They even try that with me on occasion until I start barking at them.

Just get a taxi meter from the rank. You pay the meter plus Bt50 airport surcharge. You pay the tolls as well, about Bt70 or so. Expect about Bt300-400 all in for lower to mid Sukhumvit.

I agree to print out a map of the hotel if you don't know it (as 1st timer you can't know) and still beware that as in most countries, taxis sometimes want to go the scenic route to add a little to the fare. They even try that with me on occasion until I start barking at them.

OK - thanks a lot. I'm arriving midday and didn't want to pay more for a hotel limo.

Will print out a map of where the hotel is. Some reviewers of the hotel (Majestic Grande) mentioned that their cab driver didn't know where it was.

I'll guess they have no idea where the Majestic Grande is. Soi 2 is not that easy for them and during the daytime they should travel further on the expressway and come through the tobacco monopoly rather than doing the turn around through Bumungrad Hospital and coming down on Soi 3.

If in doubt ask them to take you to the JW Marriott which is on the corner of Soi 2 and they will all know that one. THe Majestic is a few hundred metres further down that Soi.

It's over the road from Annies massage parlour and Rajah hotel, so they can just head down soi 4 and turn through the carpark.

By the way, that's a great choice of hotel.

Why on earth go down Soi 4 instead of Soi 2 ? You'd have to pay the Bt20/40 +++ for going through the short cut when you can drive another 100m and turn into Soi 2.

Good hotel but nowhere near as good value as before. You should not be disappointed though and great location.

Loads of laundry places around at about Bt60/80 a kilo rather than the hotel's mega overpriced (all nice hotels) per piece rates. 7/11 within 50m from hotel.

I agree to print out a map of the hotel if you don't know it ...

But for heaven's sake make sure he's holding the map the right way up, or you might land in a different country... Not wanting to be rude, but in my experience, Thais are some of the worst map-readers the world has produced. The proper hotel address printed in Thai should do the trick though.

thats just the start of your scams mate.be prepared to be scammed out of your head.

best way to do the taxis is go to the top level and get the cab from thearrivalsyoucasn usualy get a good deal bartered up there as theres no competition or not much as they are already dropping someone off

I don't know why you need to 'barther' for a ride when the taxi's have meters. I've never had a taxi driver not use the meter, and that more than likely is going to be the best rate.

Edited by eastbaybob

I just take any that brings someone into the airport, and ask them for the meter. I took one from the taxi line not long ago and was like 400 baht till my place (sukhumvit) So, I decide to take any random that I see is coming with a passenger to the airport and that was like 250. If you put dae nit noi, they will not take you around the city :o chop! chop!

around 300bht to central bangkok from the airport. Use this as your guide and you won't get ripped. Taxi lads ownly <deleted> with those who don't know any better.

Kee kwai :D

I got ripped off 3x over the last month by Bangkok taxi drivers: none would listen to my driving directions, they all decided to take the roads that would earn them an extra 100 baht. One had a tampered meter, but how do you prove that? Just paid him whilst spitting :o

Make sure you know where you are and where you're going . . . I was scammed twice . . . I got lost but apparently my destination was only 2 blocks away - they knew it and didn't tell me.

I once had a taxi driver load all my luggage and start driving, then insist his meter was broken. He turned on the meter when I got out (a Thai person was getting in).

Its very common for a Taxi driver to give you some high flat rate (happens often to me and friends). Insist using the meter or you will get out.

Sometimes a Taxi driver will refuse you when he knows he'll get stuck in traffic.