Advice From Golfers Welcome

Nick33

I wonder if I could ask for someones assistance. I have recently started playing golf and have purchased a set of Hippo clubs from Khon Khen.

I am however 196cms/6'4" tall with a long back and short legs (freak of nature!) and have been told that I need to get the clubs lengthened. I live in the NE near Buriram and am obviously willing to travel but I would like to get measured up or given good advice from an English speaking pro before I get the clubs altered.

The shop in KK has a workshop and was altering some clubs for 250B a club when I visited - the driver from 45" to 47" but the chaps there did not speak English and I want to be sure to get it done correctly. Do I have to get them re balanced if I get them lengthened.

Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom

Kind regards

Nick

Not that hard to do and the club should be ok with a two inch plug and regripping. Most shops can save the original grips as well so you won't be out extra money for new grips. Most Thai golf shops can do this for a nominal fee. The club should not be seriously affected with two additional inches shaft length.

Edited by Pakboong

I wonder if I could ask for someones assistance. I have recently started playing golf and have purchased a set of Hippo clubs from Khon Khen.

I am however 196cms/6'4" tall with a long back and short legs (freak of nature!) and have been told that I need to get the clubs lengthened. I live in the NE near Buriram and am obviously willing to travel but I would like to get measured up or given good advice from an English speaking pro before I get the clubs altered.

The shop in KK has a workshop and was altering some clubs for 250B a club when I visited - the driver from 45" to 47" but the chaps there did not speak English and I want to be sure to get it done correctly. Do I have to get them re balanced if I get them lengthened.

Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom

Kind regards

Nick

Are you sure that you need them longer? If when you stand normally, "arms vertical hands one fist off the thigh" they lie correctly there is nothing to be done. Short legs long body and fat chest so that the arms can't wave about is ideal. If you have just started, you don't want to go thinking that equipment makes any difference either, that will destroy any hope of playing well.

at 6' 4'' you will definitely need longer than standard shafts.

big hands? thicker grips also (done by adding tape under the grip when lengthening).

correct grip thickness is actually very important.

a taller player has more clubhead speed just because the swing circle has a bigger radius,

so you may need a stiffer shaft also.

probably was not a good idea to just buy a standard set, ah well.

adding length makes the head feel lighter and the shaft softer.

try to find say a 5 iron with a longer shaft, 1-2 inches longer, and try it for feel.

another simple thing to do is add some lead tape to the head and experiment with weight.

i see many standard sets that seem to me to be much too light (no feel for clubhead but easy to swing).

when you find a club setup you like then you can have the other clubs swingweighted for the same feel (weight added at head or butt).

if you find you need stiffer shafts you cannot make a regular shaft stiffer,

you need new shafts (or a new set made up).

it is hard to know what "feels good" when you are beginning,

try as many clubs as you can on the driving range and go with your instincts and some professional advice.

good luck out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to those that replied. I went to BKK last week to the Thaniya Golf dept store near Patpong and had all 11 clubs lengthened at a cost of 150B a club. They feel much more comfortable and I am sure that when I get used to them that I will improve my game - hopefully! Regards Nick