Government House Damages Estimated At Bt100 Million

womble

PAD told that they'll repair everything.....

Grass + land does not cost much....

have a look at the images from inside the offices:

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/rajdumnern/topi...3/P7288033.html

missing items include TVs, DVDs, clothing items of staff, hard disks from computers,

furnitures and other things vandalised too.

and this is just at the government house.

will they PAD also repair/ offer compensation for the damage and lost income cost to the entire economy of Thailand?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

missing items include TVs, DVDs, clothing items of staff, hard disks from computers,

will they PAD also repair/ offer compensation for the damage and lost income cost to the entire economy of Thailand?

Perhaps after the government and police pay for the 2 deaths and 500 injured that the Senate investigating committee said they were responsible for.

Easier to repair a torn sofa than a torn leg ... a chest of drawers easier than a blasted apart chest.

Edited by sriracha john

The only people who will pay for the damage are the people who pay taxes (like myself), and the bill for repairs will be inflated by 400-800 percent. People, get real about this.

Hmmm the water bill has already been paid etc .. why should we doubt that any other bills will get paid?

Perhaps after the government and police pay for the 2 deaths and 500 injured that the Senate investigating committee said they were responsible for.

Easier to repair a torn sofa than a torn leg ... a chest of drawers easier than a blasted apart chest.

Pantip.com was closed by the interim government in September 2007 for "security reasons" and for its alleged disloyalty to the monarchy. It was and I presume still is a pro-TRT/PPP/PT site.

We'll be hearing a lot of claims by pro-government agencies and individuals, including photos and footage of whatever credibility, in the post airport siege era. Perhaps one day, when emotions have cooled, things will become clearer.

Will Thaksin or the PPP?

in cases of corruption, the state freezes the assets of the accused, and if proven guilty the state is able to confiscate the assets.

Thaksin's assets have in fact been frozen.

the same applies to any other politician accused with corruption charges. Im not going to sit here and argue on the effectiveness of these measures and enforcement, but the point remains

PAD leaders are well aware of the consequences / damages closing the airports would cause to the country.

for people claiming to love the country and wanting to bring corrupt people to justice, they sure have a way of showing their love, to the country and to its population.

-------

me as me, not a MOD

Pantip.com was closed by the interim government in September 2007 for "security reasons" and for its alleged disloyalty to the monarchy. It was and I presume still is a pro-TRT/PPP/PT site.

ermmm, to my knowledge pantip.com is a web forum, just like this or any other web forums. it allows discussions, and has various sub-forums, including politics. it has anti and pro government people posting.

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Penn., was exiting a house he finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, so Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Dickson sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars and change.

classic, copypasta story, a urban legend, status: false.

I've just had a thought, perhaps this 100 Billion Baht is not for repairs at all, it's actually to build an entirely new Government House ........... in Chiang Mai.

thaddy :o MILLION :D the title says millions :D

old man :D

disclaimer: not saying that I know if the millions is realistic or not

Will Thaksin or the PPP?

in cases of corruption, the state freezes the assets of the accused, and if proven guilty the state is able to confiscate the assets.

the same applies to any other politician accused with corruption charges. Im not going to sit here and argue on the effectiveness of these measures and enforcement, but the point remains

PAD leaders are well aware of the consequences / damages closing the airports would cause to the country.

for people claiming to love the country and wanting to bring corrupt people to justice, they sure have a way of showing their love, to the country and to its population.

-------

me as me, not a MOD

Are we not talking about Gov't house in this thread?

Many properties, including cars, motorcycles, large television sets, personal computers and royal decorations and awards, disappeared from Government House since the PAD laid siege to the compound in August, according to Pol Gen Jongrak.

Terrorists, hostage takers and now thieves ..I think there's nothing else left for them to be. :o

From: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=135176

I've just had a thought, perhaps this 100 Billion Baht is not for repairs at all, it's actually to build an entirely new Government House ........... in Chiang Mai.

thaddy :o MILLION :D the title says millions :D

old man :D

disclaimer: not saying that I know if the millions is realistic or not

I know hon, it was a mistake, that's why I edited it ....... but, hot dam, you're on the ball.

(and waddaya mean 'old') :D

ermmm, to my knowledge pantip.com is a web forum, just like this or any other web forums. it allows discussions, and has various sub-forums, including politics. it has anti and pro government people posting.

Point taken about the web forum.

The photos have been sent in by a government official working at Government House. She says the computers have all been damaged, but there is a photo of only one. Other photos show some graffiti, some slashed chairs, a broken door pane, a scratched desktop, some drawers pulled out, etc. Nothing significant and we don't know how widespread.

I doubt, if she's a middle-level kharajakarn, that she got a tour of the whole building. The Channel 9 cameras going through the main rooms on Wednesday afternoon indicated no damage at all in those rooms.

We can only listen to what government spokespeople are telling us. I'm skeptical of any official claims at the moment.

Will Thaksin or the PPP?

-------

me as me, not a MOD

Are we not talking about Gov't house in this thread?

are we going to go down that pedantic route?

if by that logic, why would you ask PPP or Thaksin to pay for damages cost to the 'government house'? but I think we both know that there are far wider implications, else you wouldnt have raised the subject of PPP or Thaksin would you.

Thaksin is corrupted and PPP is a bad political party, but if PAD gonna blame Thaksin/PPP for the damages they have done to the country, I would say they are cowards. Have some balls, you PAD-ers! :o

It's very refreshing to see a person newly posting on the News Clippings Forum who, after a review of their posting history, actually seems to be a genuine, honest-to-God, non-flaming, real, non-banished-and-returning-with-a-vengeful-trolling-intent poster. That is something, even if that someone currently possesses an opposing view, that seems to be under assault the last few weeks here. The forum, in reality, thrives on that very opposition of views that is genuinely coming from people posting honestly. It starves when it is inundated with fakers, trollers, and flamers who post dishonestly.

So, with that in mind... welcome aboard, SoMeOnEnUlL. :D The board needs more posters like you.

Now then, regarding Thaksin and PAD, SoMeOnEnUlL.

I tend to look at them more as pioneers rather than cowards along the lines of the People Power movement in the Philippines that ousted Marcos.

Was People Power (the Philippines original one, not the contemptible, disgraced, and banned Thai PPP one) completely without a few bad eggs? No. Did People Power make mistakes that in retrospect, on the whole, were superseded by their achievements? Yes. Were they successful in ousting a 20 plus year ruling despot? Yes.

Now then, supplant PAD for People Power in those same questions and the answer comes back the same. The only minor difference simply being the addition of the word "planned" preceding "20 plus year ruling despot."

The crucial key for PAD and Thailand and its populace now is to not follow the mistakes made in the Philippines subsequent to that country relieving itself of of its aberration.

Opportunity for Thailand, in the form of a first-ever criminal conviction and prison sentence of an indicted former Prime Minister, is knocking.

That needs to actually transpire to its ultimate completion if Thailand is not going to repeat the tediously slow, and definitely pot-hole-filled road of, what still is, ultimately, an improvement in the Philippines. The Philippines missed out on the benefits of this seeing through to ultimate completion when it was deprived of incarcerating Marcos and I think that played a sizable role in the chaotic, but steady progress it has made in the intervening years. If PAD can see this through to the end, I'm hopeful that Thailand can reap the benefits of seeing this task to its successful completion.

Edited by sriracha john

Could you go to any parliament, government house or congress in the world, do this type of damage and expect to escape scott free?

If there is a problem with the amounts, perhaps Sondhi and his Pad followers can employ the contractors and restore it to its original state. Save arguing on costs if they just do the work and pay for it themselves doesn't it? Or am I being too simplistic?

But this is Thailand where people are not held accountable for their actions.

I thought maybe the adults were on vacation but in fact there aren't any.

PAD are a group of cowards, never at anytime they will shoulder any responsibility on what they have done.

it's an initial estimation and only for landscaping and tap water pipes - so the maintanance - the stolen items (laptops, arms, office and communication equipment etc) and cash were not taken into account yet. So the first figure 100 might still be valid

Sure...but when they ask for 500 million to block 1400 websites we have a clear understanding how 1 stolen desk* could build up to be a 100 million baht renovation.

(*: Don't think a desk was stolen, it is an analogy to show the point...)

So why don't you volunteer to pay for that minimal damage, according to you it will not amount to much.

I'm already paying a good amount of taxes so I am covering my part. And the point, as you so clearly missed, was that you can NEVER (no-matter what side) take any cost-estimate here to their face value. They are never-ever accurate.

If you think that 500 million to block 1400 websites are reasonable, I have a bridge to sell you...

Thaksin is corrupted and PPP is a bad political party, but if PAD gonna blame Thaksin/PPP for the damages they have done to the country, I would say they are cowards. Have some balls, you PAD-ers! :o

It's very refreshing to see a person newly posting on the News Clippings Forum who, after a review of their posting history, actually seems to be a genuine, honest-to-God, non-flaming, real, non-banished-and-returning-with-a-vengeful-trolling-intent poster. That is something, even if that someone currently possesses an opposing view, that seems to be under assault the last few weeks here. The forum, in reality, thrives on that very opposition of views that is genuinely coming from people posting honestly. It starves when it is inundated with fakers, trollers, and flamers who post dishonestly.

So, with that in mind... welcome aboard, SoMeOnEnUlL. :D The board needs more posters like you.

Now then, regarding Thaksin and PAD, SoMeOnEnUlL.

I tend to look at them more as pioneers rather than cowards along the lines of the People Power movement in the Philippines that ousted Marcos.

Was People Power (the Philippines original one, not the contemptible, disgraced, and banned Thai PPP one) completely without a few bad eggs? No. Did People Power make mistakes that in retrospect, on the whole, were superseded by their achievements? Yes. Were they successful in ousting a 20 plus year ruling despot? Yes.

Now then, supplant PAD for People Power in those same questions and the answer comes back the same. The only minor difference simply being the addition of the word "planned" preceding "20 plus year ruling despot."

The crucial key for PAD and Thailand and its populace now is to not follow the mistakes made in the Philippines subsequent to that country relieving itself of of its aberration.

Opportunity for Thailand, in the form of a first-ever criminal conviction and prison sentence of an indicted former Prime Minister, is knocking.

That needs to actually transpire to its ultimate completion if Thailand is not going to repeat the tediously slow, and definitely pot-hole-filled road of, what still is, ultimately, an improvement in the Philippines. The Philippines missed out on the benefits of this seeing through to ultimate completion when it was deprived of incarcerating Marcos and I think that played a sizable role in the chaotic, but steady progress it has made in the intervening years. If PAD can see this through to the end, I'm hopeful that Thailand can reap the benefits of seeing this task to its successful completion.

Thanks for the welcoming, john. I've been on this forum for long, actually, I just didn't come to new section before.

I know what you are saying. I always tried to listen to the both sides of stories. I wasn't saying the PAD don't have good intentions. Maybe they are doing a big favor to the people of Thailand. And, maybe not. That I do not know much. What I do know is that seizing the International Airport and Government House was very very bad for the Country and its people. The damage is incalculable. IF PAD really was doing it just to put an end to corrupted Government, I would say it was a bad move. I think they just put themselves in jeopardy, and the Country, too.

But, some PAD fellas were trying to forget that and wanted to blame others. I didn't want to use the word coward above. All I was saying is that they have to take some responsibility as a man. There always are consequences for every action made. One can't run away from it.

Edited by SoMeOnEnUlL

Don't know about the damage, but PAD kindly left a few bombs and molotov cocktails behind when they left. They didn't forget to take money and valuables, weapons, ammo, tv's, cameras and computers though.

While I think the PAD was very wrong to have taken over the airport, still, I have friends who have been supporting the PAD and friends are friends regardless of how we may differ on political issues. One respected individual with the PAD has never given me wrong info on what was going on. For example, he let me know last Sunday afternoon that the PAD was willing to not interfere with the airlines day to day operations and it was now up to the AOT if they wanted to allow flights to take place. When I reported this in TV, of course I heard from the usual clueless, but then just two days later, PRIOR to the PAD announcing they would vacate the airport, cargo planes were flying and miraculously, less than 24 hours after the PAD announced they would vacate, other flights were taking place.

As it relates to this issue of explosives being left at Gov't House by the PAD, I was told on the day of the handover that while some outside of Gov't House were at the moment giving interviews that explosives were found, that as part of the PAD handover group he had not seen any. Of course, since I was not there I can't say 100% for sure, but just note as it relates to the explosives, not everyone sees it this way.

Saw it on Thai PBS news last night: chairs and sofas destroyed by knife cuts in nice X shape, computers busted etc.

Outside the building it looked a trash dump.

I don't care how much it will cost to repair, it was idiot's work.

Group: Members

Member No.: 39,517

QUOTE (Samuian @ 2008-12-05 13:27:17)

QUOTE (bunnaag @ 2008-12-05 12:56:40)

When I told my wife,who is a strong supporter of the PAD,that her friends damaged the Government House I was told that these rumours were spread by the red shirt mob.In fact the damage was done by spies of the government.Now we all know.

And it might not be far fetched at all!

Think about V-man, undercover, liaison officer, remember how the accusations of the "homemade bombs blew them limbs off and killed the girl..." and this was stated by a police speaker (!!!) turned out?

I think the whole affair has to be taken with a grain of salt - accusations, black mail, deceit, lies will keep on coming, that is for sure - remember the man behind it all and his "honest lies".... just a thought or two!

Who has nanosecond more credibility and who's lost it completely?

Channel 9 (MSN) had footage of the GH interior a couple of nights ago. It all looked to be in excellent condition - as if untouched. Must have been before the orders came through to paint a different picture. "

Please explain the two completely different stories - I would be more inclined to believe Channel 9 than the other.

And yes, I agree the work of idiots and it's a good bet it wasn't PAD.

Saw it on Thai PBS news last night: chairs and sofas destroyed by knife cuts in nice X shape, computers busted etc.

Idiot's work indeed, but strangely the footage in the press recently showed nothing of the sort. Makes one wonder where and when those things really happened?

The PAD only protected a couple of buildigs there against attack. The others were up for grabs, thus the footage of both plundered and unplundered property simply shows the two different areas - there's no mystery involved in the apparent disparity of pictures, and it's been well documented. From the PAD itself:

PAD co-ordinator Suriyasai Katasila admitted leaders could protect only the Thai Ku Fah and Santimaitree buildings, which remain intact.

"We couldn't keep a close watch on other buildings," Suriyasai said.

Link

Idiot's work indeed, but strangely the footage in the press recently showed nothing of the sort. Makes one wonder where and when those things really happened?

:o

The PAD is a motley bunch, united only by fanatical hatred of Mr Thaksin. It includes disgruntled businessmen..., members of a militaristic Buddhist outfit..., intellectuals and reactionary army types.

And chair-slashers, defecators, etc.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Or if they weren't carried out by the hands of people paid to discredit PAD, just like the cost estimators paid to exaggerate damages or the red shirts paid to protest against PAD, or the idiots paid to throw bombs at sleeping PAD supporters at Don Muang and elsewhere. C'mon let's face it, misinformation and subterfuge are an art form in Thailand. :o

No severe damage found to listed 'red' buildings

Inspectors from the Fine Arts Department have found no severe damage to the structure of heritage-listed buildings inside Government House after the occupation by the PAD. An initial report of damage was unveiled yesterday after experts from the Office of Archaeology inspected the Thai Ku Fah, Santi Maitree, Nari Samosorn, and Tuek Daeng (the red buildings). More detailed reports will be presented later. Office Chief Tharapong Srisuchart said only minor damage such as broken glass had been discovered. The structure of the buildings was still strong and in good shape. The value of damage would be estimated by experts, he said.

- Bangkok Post / 2008-12-07