Buying Car

grahamdarwin

Hello Gents,

I am considering buying an old car in Bangkok.I live , when I am in Thailand, in Pattaya.The present owner tells me that the only thing neccessary to transfer ownership is a copy of my passport.

When I transferred ownership on my motorbike in Pattaya/Banglamung they needed a "resident" permit,photos and copies of everything.So , what do you think?

Do I have to re register in Banglamung?

Your expertise will be appreciated.

Graham

>I am considering buying an old car in Bangkok.I live , when I am in Thailand, in Pattaya.

>The present owner tells me that the only thing neccessary to transfer ownership is a copy of my passport.

Need passport with non tourist type visa (I believe), proof of address (I used house rental agreement). Rules appear to be applied 'differently' between different LTOs. it would appear that Pattaya is easy - other places less so.

>I am considering buying an old car in Bangkok.I live , when I am in Thailand, in Pattaya.

>The present owner tells me that the only thing neccessary to transfer ownership is a copy of my passport.

Need passport with non tourist type visa (I believe), proof of address (I used house rental agreement). Rules appear to be applied 'differently' between different LTOs. it would appear that Pattaya is easy - other places less so.

U cna own a car with tourist visa, no problem, but you can't get d DL on a Tourist Visa.

• 3 weeks later...

I also want to buy a used car and I was told that I need to show a driving license when transfering the ownership.

Currently I've lost my intl. driving licence from my country and I planned to buy a car and not to drive it until I'll go to my country and get the new one. So this seems to be impossible to buy the car without driving license?

I also want to buy a used car and I was told that I need to show a driving license when transfering the ownership. Currently I've lost my intl. driving licence from my country and I planned to buy a car and not to drive it until I'll go to my country and get the new one. So this seems to be impossible to buy the car without driving license?

I bought my pickup before I had a Thai DL.

As I said above different LTOs will enforce their rules differently depending on the location, the time of day and what he/she had for breakfast that morning.

You do not need to be able to drive to own a car. For example you can be a company - a company has a name and an address but does not have a driving licence.

Very often a Thai DL is considered as proof of identity, or if you are looking to test drive a car etc.

The transfer papers I 'did' were only interested in my address in Thailand and visa stamp. I have a WP which makes life easier in this regard but during the purchase no one was remotely interested whether I could drive or not.

There is another thread running about getting a DL, but I think there are enough similar threads for people to read through and understand the process whether the Thai DL is backed by an IDP or from a full driving skills and 'written' exam etc.

I spoke with a farang lady friend yesterday, she had just been to Banglamung's (Pattaya) LTO for her 5 year DL, "...isn't it easy..." was her comment.

I also want to buy a used car and I was told that I need to show a driving license when transfering the ownership.

Currently I've lost my intl. driving licence from my country and I planned to buy a car and not to drive it until I'll go to my country and get the new one. So this seems to be impossible to buy the car without driving license?

That is complete nonsense. Sorry you got bad info.

You need paperwork to buy a car. Dr Lisc is NOT one of them.

You are gonna need proof of where you reside. This can be handled a few different ways.

That is complete nonsense. Sorry you got bad info.

You need paperwork to buy a car. Dr Lisc is NOT one of them.

You are gonna need proof of where you reside. This can be handled a few different ways.

yup, exactly.,

Graham. It is totally better to get a new number plate. Extra hassle but better for you if something bad happens.

Because on my plate - below the number it says "KrungThepManahanakorn" i.e. Bangkok.

Yours will likely be "Chon Buri"

Reregistering in another province is a total pain but it can be done. Just be patient. It takes as long as it takes. Don't stress over it. Be sure to discuss with your insurance company if it's a high value car.

You can use, own and drive a car with "Bangkok Plates". It's not illegal. I doo this for years, so why more hassles to register in Chonburi? Absolutely not necessary. You just have to mention the Immigration officer who issue your certificate of living, that you gonna buy a car in Bangkok. Remember "Bankok Cars" have higher resale value in Thailand, easy to change ownership without showing the car at tne ministery of transportation. U can use agent who do the job . All can be dane by EMS service. No waste of time.

Here is a Phone number of a Agent. 081 723 86 33 (Boonjirit), he speaks fluent english and i use him since 10 Years for all my car registration matters.