Thaksin To Announce Return To Thai Politics

sabaijai

He would like to contribute to the global society :o jesus some people have an ego ... no one in the real world gives a hoot about this Thai soap opera

some one mentioned the ailing tourist industry ??? what tourist industry ??? they have manage to kill this years by at least 50% and the bankers of the world have done the rest in by causing a global recession

Beside I don't know of any Thai government doing much good for Tourist Industry. They government were just more or less damaging and the friendliness of Thai people together with the beauty of the country made the tourists come.

I don't even want to start speaking about the environment problems which scare away more and more tourists (for example if you focus on scuba diving, you wouldn't choose Thailand anymore, no matter if the government focus on more Entertainment centers, another Tiffany Katoy show or free Golf).

I recall that arrogant Government talk: Don't want backpackers, want only Quality tourists, tourists at full moon party undermine the Thai morality.....We don't need Farang Dive Teacher...Thai people can do it the same etc etc etc...)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw first articles in the British and other European media about the protests today and tomorrows planned march on parliamant and possible or very likely bloodshed etc etc and of Thaksins plan to return to power here .... his nephew is the newest step in turning Thailand into Thaksinland ... doesn't sound so much different .. does it now ?

Hmmm I heard somewhere that Malaysia is not such a bad place to live .... may have to change from making pork sausages to more beef and lam sausages ....... hmmm but at least they'll have customers there to buy them .... or Vietnam or ....

Edited by JohnBKKK

I do feel that with his 'Character' blighted by his conviction in Thailand, his Visa withdrawn by the UK, he has designed a 'comeback' to Thailand. I must say, a Thai friend of mine did say to me after the military coup that Thaksin will be back, he endorsed this again recently believing that Thaksin would be back after he has settled money and family issues.

Thaksin has shedloads of money, he's made over 800 million GBP on the sale of Manchester City, plus he has other amounts no doubt, enough, to put in an appeal against his conviction, support the PPP, and drum up support, whether it leads to a civil war as one post suggests, I really don't know................. :o

I expect his will start a Shi$%*T Storm, but, I am confused about the amount of supporters? My Thai wife is SERIOUSLY in support of Thaksin's return as PM. Me: Not so. My wife (Issan, 39 and her family, rice farmers), believes he has only the country's interests at heart. She say's he was a businessman before he was PM, so whats wrong with him continuing business while he is in the office of PM? She say's : Yes, we know he is corrupt, but he is good for the country, and therefore willng to accept that. She say's" You would be too, in that position (might be right!). She also says, that 90% of all people in Thailand support him (really?). She say's that only 10% are against him and that is why he is in trouble now.

I say: Blind faith, is certainly stupid. (Why did he sell control of Thailand seaports to Singapore?) Simple, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Me: I believe he has plenty of money, but the issue is both money AND POWER! I think he's a power junkie. Addicted. He had it once and he will do ANYTHING to get it back, but he will not realistically, give away his money, or return it to the people of Thailand. I think he will continue to amass more money if he returns as PM. How much $/baht is enough? I think he is trying to corner the world market on money!

This is just my opinion, but when my wife tells me "Yes, the Thai people know he is corrupt, but 90% of the Thai's want him to return" I get confused. How much % support does he really have?

I personally believe that, if he returns to power, there will be a civil war. Complicated with the problem about muslim bombings in the south.

If the man really loves Thailand, why not give a large portion of his $ back to Thailand, and stop his business interests and devote 100% ofl his time to governing Thailand? Not 80% governing Thailand and 20% making $? I know he gives a bit back to the Thai people (mostly, the poor), ie: computers to schools, etc but, if you give me 100 million $, I would have no problem giving 1-10 million back into your interests, just as long as you keep giving me more $. It's a no brainer. He is a businessman.

Am I off base with these thoughts?

I do feel that with his 'Character' blighted by his conviction in Thailand, his Visa withdrawn by the UK, he has designed a 'comeback' to Thailand. I must say, a Thai friend of mine did say to me after the military coup that Thaksin will be back, he endorsed this again recently believing that Thaksin would be back after he has settled money and family issues.

Thaksin has shedloads of money, he's made over 800 million GBP on the sale of Manchester City, plus he has other amounts no doubt, enough, to put in an appeal against his conviction, support the PPP, and drum up support, whether it leads to a civil war as one post suggests, I really don't know................. :o

I expect his will start a Shi$%*T Storm, but, I am confused about the amount of supporters? My Thai wife is SERIOUSLY in support of Thaksin's return as PM. Me: Not so. My wife (Issan, 39 and her family, rice farmers), believes he has only the country's interests at heart. She say's he was a businessman before he was PM, so whats wrong with him continuing business while he is in the office of PM? She say's : Yes, we know he is corrupt, but he is good for the country, and therefore willng to accept that. She say's" You would be too, in that position (might be right!). She also says, that 90% of all people in Thailand support him (really?). She say's that only 10% are against him and that is why he is in trouble now.

I say: Blind faith, is certainly stupid. (Why did he sell control of Thailand seaports to Singapore?) Simple, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Me: I believe he has plenty of money, but the issue is both money AND POWER! I think he's a power junkie. Addicted. He had it once and he will do ANYTHING to get it back, but he will not realistically, give away his money, or return it to the people of Thailand. I think he will continue to amass more money if he returns as PM. How much $/baht is enough? I think he is trying to corner the world market on money!

This is just my opinion, but when my wife tells me "Yes, the Thai people know he is corrupt, but 90% of the Thai's want him to return" I get confused. How much % support does he really have?

I personally believe that, if he returns to power, there will be a civil war. Complicated with the problem about muslim bombings in the south.

If the man really loves Thailand, why not give a large portion of his $ back to Thailand, and stop his business interests and devote 100% ofl his time to governing Thailand? Not 80% governing Thailand and 20% making $? I know he gives a bit back to the Thai people (mostly, the poor), ie: computers to schools, etc but, if you give me 100 million $, I would have no problem giving 1-10 million back into your interests, just as long as you keep giving me more $. It's a no brainer. He is a businessman.

Am I off base with these thoughts?

Just coming back from the south, there are around 90 % strong against him. Look at the last election, PPP got less than 50 %. So why didn't the 90 % Thaksin supporter vote for PPP?

I for one, welcome his return. I just hope he keeps his agenda... Kind of the same as it is for Obama...

If these guys try to at least do 50% of what they say.... then that's all we can expect...

Living here for 8 years now, I've seen this country noise dive into the pits of hel_l...

I live and work in amongst the people and living in the upcountry, I've seen for the past 2 1/2 years the country's people become so corrupted and dishonest in all of their dealings, it has even affected my daily living.

And no one will do anything about all of this crap that's happening here... they all just put their heads in the sand, only pop out if they can gossip, take advantage of the next person, or get their cut from those doing it... So it is great when the man who helped this country the most, regardless of his business deals, EVERYONE profited by it accept the whiners in bkk. The head of the Government Schools(something Of Education) and the government schools are at the top of the list for the commoners in this country as the education of the children is suffering miserably... and they(something Of Education) don't do anything... so I hope when He comes back some good housekeeping can be done and his original plans of restoring the education to make it available to all will come back in full swing again... Of course other places within the government also need a good housekeeping.

So maybe business can come back to being as normal again in this great beautiful country.

Culture, Politics and business DOES NOT mix.

For those who may say, "If you don't like it here, then go home", well, that is very irresponsible comment... as we are all of the human race and we all should have a right to live anywhere we want on this earth... and bullying and destruction of values should not be the reasons why people have to leave. But help try to make things better by encouraging the right things to be done. We all have our opinions... but for mine, I've seen how this country has been over the past few years, and as I've said, I'm down in the trenches trying to earn an honest living in a dishonest world...

So hats off to some little hope for this country's well being and I'm a part of that/this country and gone the whiners will be!!! Fight ON MR. TAKSIN!

rgz

If I've said something here to monitor a modifying, please do... coz I know everyone's got to survive in this horrid mess...

Just coming back from the south, there are around 90 % strong against him. Look at the last election, PPP got less than 50 %. So why didn't the 90 % Thaksin supporter vote for PPP?

check the population distribution in thailand ... the majority lives in the north east - Isaan - with the lowest edjucation level and subsequently lowest mental capacity to understand politics or much else for that matter Thaksin's power base

the Thai people know he is corrupt, but 90% of the Thai's want him to return - see what I mean about the intelectually challenged ?

Not 80% governing Thailand and 20% making $ - Your percentages are way off - anything he did meaning 100% was in his own interest - anything he gave was from taxpayers money NOT from HIS own money and the sole purpose was to increase his power base amoung the poor because anyone with 1/2 a brain should be able to realize what he was doing - most Thais have a simply way of looking at things - during his time business was doing well - so, now business is not doing well - explaination is simple Thaksin was good for us so if he comes back things will be good again ... their mental capacity to understand what politics are about can be compared with an 8 year old - a lot of the ones that do understand what has been going on are out there protesting

My mistake, Maybe I was giving him credit with the 80/20%, But was I wrong in my assment? The uneducated (meaning no disrepect to the lower paid Thai people), support him and the educated folks do not? My wife say's 90/10%. I say 70-75% of the poor of the farmer type folks love him because of health care and computers donated to schools. (paid for by the Thai government, not his money)The educated folks see him as a greedy bastard. But they are greedy themselves. Who's right?

the Thai people know he is corrupt, but 90% of the Thai's want him to return - see what I mean about the intelectually challenged ?

Not 80% governing Thailand and 20% making $ - Your percentages are way off - anything he did meaning 100% was in his own interest - anything he gave was from taxpayers money NOT from HIS own money and the sole purpose was to increase his power base amoung the poor because anyone with 1/2 a brain should be able to realize what he was doing - most Thais have a simply way of looking at things - during his time business was doing well - so, now business is not doing well - explaination is simple Thaksin was good for us so if he comes back things will be good again ... - a lot of the ones that do understand what has been going on are out there protesting

Are you watching ASTV right now? YOU'RE SO VERY VERY WRONG!!!

Edited by jitagon

I don't like either side but this is getting to be sickening. Does anyone seriously think he does this for the good of the Thai people? It is ALL about him.

It's always been ALL about him.

Exactly.

Don't attempt to make a correlation to Obama, apples and oranges.

The correlation with Thaksin is Bush squarely. Ideology driven, money driven

myopic to all but this vision, given him by others.

This is Thaksin's addiction to power and cash pushing him inexorably to a bad end

for himself and Thailand. Thailand WILL eventually recover, Thaksin I don't think can.

It's not a question of Thaksin doing 50% of what he says he will do for Thailand.

What's scary is that he might do 50% of what he is NOT saying he will do...

He is a relative ist, he decides what he will do and then has no scruples to change his mind

as HIS situation changes. The good of the country, global community talk is just marketing.

Thaksinland must NOT come to pass.

CIMUC

Living here for 8 years now, I've seen this country noise dive into the pits of hel_l...

Most of that time was squarely on Thaksin's watch, and the future it setup was put in place by him.

Edited by animatic

so he is not 'coming back' coming back, he is doing a video appearance???

The State will just cut the 'feed' to the Stadium...

and wouldn't this 'talk' of coming back just be a back up plan if he can't buy his way into some other country?

is he being deported to Thailand, or can he choose South America/?

he probably has enough to live on...

and, oh yea, can I apply to his fund to help street girls??? :rolleyes:

Not 80% governing Thailand and 20% making $ - Your percentages are way off - anything he did meaning 100% was in his own interest - anything he gave was from taxpayers money NOT from HIS own money and the sole purpose was to increase his power base amoung the poor because anyone with 1/2 a brain should be able to realize what he was doing - most Thais have a simply way of looking at things - during his time business was doing well - so, now business is not doing well - explaination is simple Thaksin was good for us so if he comes back things will be good again ... - a lot of the ones that do understand what has been going on are out there protesting

Are you watching ASTV right now? YOU'RE SO VERY VERY WRONG!!!

Just to point out, the 90% was not my quote! -

so he is not 'coming back' coming back, he is doing a video appearance???

The State will just cut the 'feed' to the Stadium...

The current state is his BROTHER IN LAW .... you honestly believe he will do this ????????

Edited by JohnBKKK

I and my wife (she much more so than me) are very much supportive of PAD......and I am so glad I am 5000 miles away today...

But I see the tactical situation clearly, I can see how they could win, but with the current leadership, and people, vs the PPP, Police, and Military, it is likely they will just stain their country with their blood and be pushed aside.

With the appointment of Gen Apupon (who is clearly in Thaskins pay), the moving out of local police earlier this week, and bringing in border police who actively suppressed the protesters (in Ubon), unless there is an internal upheaval in the military against a few of the top Generals I fear the worst for the PAD.

Watching on ASTV the pride and passion of these patriots makes me so sad, and I want to yell at them to tell them how to win this fight, but it is not my fight, so I will just observe from afar, with a sad heart.

I never got the sense Gen Anupong Paojinda is in Thaksin's pocket at all.

MANY other generals a under officers are for sure.

If Thaksin owned Gen Anupong Paojinda he would have used the army to

clear out PAD under Samak's watch.

While the General might have business intertests to protect,

I think he is more loyal to the king more than any other entity.

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly or something like that. I think we can all see this is about power it must be an addiction, having people bow to you constantly. I'm sure he doesn't get that kind of treatment in exile,no matter how much dough he has.

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly or something like that. I think we can all see this is about power it must be an addiction, having people bow to you constantly. I'm sure he doesn't get that kind of treatment in exile,no matter how much dough he has.

But those little perks like the cute little singer he like to play (golf) with are not bad. :o Sure beats that pudgy (x?) wife of his.

You hit the nail.

A perfect scenario for his comeback.

The struggling economy, rising unemployment, weak government etc will play perfectly in his cards.

People will cry for a strong arm to lead them out of misery.

And here he comes. The man who walks on water.

^Think again. Toxin has made some seriously bad strategic decisions lately.

1 He left the country to big note himself at the UN, and was deposed by the coupe makers

2. He decided to buy his way out of court, but his lawyers were put in jail

3. In his absence at the Olympic games his wife was made a crim, latter he is awarded the same status

4. He assumed that the UK, his selected island of real democracy, could be bought by his millions but he left for a short while and they refused to let him back in the country

The desperate man is blinded by his view of himself and i trust we will see many more bad decisions in the future, like his current idea to return to Thai politics

But those little perks like the cute little singer he like to play (golf) with are not bad. :o Sure beats that pudgy (x?) wife of his.

She is called the 19th hole of the golf track.....

Numbers of people here are speculating on Thaksin's motives, next moves etc etc. The thrust of the discussion is around the individual and HIS effect on Thailand.

I think the problem is rather larger. I've always seen Thaksin as a symptom of a very important disconnect in Thai society.

In the past there has been a ruling and owning elite and there has been the people. By and large this elite has governed and behaved in the interests of Thailand as a whole. This has been easy since Thailands success plays to the elite's undoubted love of their own country and people and has translated into wealth for themselves.

What is new is the emergence of a new middle class over the course of the past 15 to 20 years. These people are typically SME owners. Rather than being out of immediate sight of the poor locked away in the capital they are spread all over the country and their wealth is highly visible to the poor.

This has created a dangerous level of dissatisfaction with their lot on the part of the normal rural Thai. This is hugely dangerous as it dials in the essential ingredient for civil strife.

Thaksin has merely ridden this new phenomenen to power. His rule has been characterised by fuelling the expectations of the rural poor with schemes and promises and giveaways whilst irritating the Bangkok elite by abuse of their carefully regulated power structures for personal gain.

Were Thai society to be now left to its own devices I suspect there would be a quiet realignment to remedy the inequality between the poor and the new middle class so that Thailand regains its consensual government. (Yes I know all about the coups etc etc of the past - but essentially they have been ripples on the surface of a broad consensus) It seems to me the big danger of Thaksin returning to politics is rooted in the manner of his dismissal last time by the King (which I hugely enjoyed and applauded). Were he to succeed in his ambition this carries the risk of very publicly and profoundly damaging the King and the whole reationship between the Monarchy, Government and People.

For this reason I do not believe Thailand can afford to allow Thaksin's ambition to be realised.

My prescription? - difficult. I suspect there has to be two threads - First some extreme action to cut off Thaksins plans. Second a very fast realignment of the country's systems so that the rural poor feel valued and included.

This will be a very difficult trick for Thailand to perform. If it fails, civil war beckons.

Chris

Numbers of people here are speculating on Thaksin's motives, next moves etc etc. The thrust of the discussion is around the individual and HIS effect on Thailand.

I think the problem is rather larger. I've always seen Thaksin as a symptom of a very important disconnect in Thai society.

In the past there has been a ruling and owning elite and there has been the people. By and large this elite has governed and behaved in the interests of Thailand as a whole. This has been easy since Thailands success plays to the elite's undoubted love of their own country and people and has translated into wealth for themselves.

What is new is the emergence of a new middle class over the course of the past 15 to 20 years. These people are typically SME owners. Rather than being out of immediate sight of the poor locked away in the capital they are spread all over the country and their wealth is highly visible to the poor.

This has created a dangerous level of dissatisfaction with their lot on the part of the normal rural Thai. This is hugely dangerous as it dials in the essential ingredient for civil strife.

Thaksin has merely ridden this new phenomenen to power. His rule has been characterised by fuelling the expectations of the rural poor with schemes and promises and giveaways whilst irritating the Bangkok elite by abuse of their carefully regulated power structures for personal gain.

Were Thai society to be now left to its own devices I suspect there would be a quiet realignment to remedy the inequality between the poor and the new middle class so that Thailand regains its consensual government. (Yes I know all about the coups etc etc of the past - but essentially they have been ripples on the surface of a broad consensus) It seems to me the big danger of Thaksin returning to politics is rooted in the manner of his dismissal last time by the King (which I hugely enjoyed and applauded). Were he to succeed in his ambition this carries the risk of very publicly and profoundly damaging the King and the whole reationship between the Monarchy, Government and People.

For this reason I do not believe Thailand can afford to allow Thaksin's ambition to be realised.

My prescription? - difficult. I suspect there has to be two threads - First some extreme action to cut off Thaksins plans. Second a very fast realignment of the country's systems so that the rural poor feel valued and included.

This will be a very difficult trick for Thailand to perform. If it fails, civil war beckons.

Chris

Well Thailand has no real poor like other countries. You are poor in Thailand if you don't have the latest mobile phone. No one is hungry. As well there is no other country in which poor people can open business and get middle class themself. What made the people angry was the huge corruption, but they got really mad by his abuse of power and undermining the monarchy.

There is no rich against poor. But Thaksin tried to seed such problems and in some places with success.

Well Thailand has no real poor like other countries. You are poor in Thailand if you don't have the latest mobile phone. No one is hungry. As well there is no other country in which poor people can open business and get middle class themself. What made the people angry was the huge corruption, but they got really mad by his abuse of power and undermining the monarchy.

There is no rich against poor. But Thaksin tried to seed such problems and in some places with success.

Of course there are poor people in Thailand. If you don't believe me, you really should see Thailand a bit more....

Of course there are poor people in Thailand. If you don't believe me, you really should see Thailand a bit more....

What is your definition from poor?

Have you ever been in India or Cambodia?

For me poor is: not enough to eat, not enough clothes, no place to sleep.

Of course there are poor people, but that are not the Issan farmer and percentage is very low.

What is your definition from poor?

Have you ever been in India or Cambodia?

For me poor is: not enough to eat, not enough clothes, no place to sleep.

Of course there are poor people, but that are not the Issan farmer and percentage is very low.

No never been to India, to Cambodia, several times, and while there certainly is a small level of difference between poor Cambodians and poor Thais, to say that the poor Thais are rich in comparison to their Cambodian counterparts is stretching it in a big way.

Remember the daily minimum wage in Bangkok (so this doesn't apply to the norht east) is around 200 baht... That's a poor income in my book.