Thaksin To Announce Return To Thai Politics

sabaijai

Before going for a decisive political war, Thaksin has settled his family affair and worked on a strategy to boost up his international image after the UK government dealt him a big political blow by denying his visa. He has divorced his wife Khunying Pojaman and set up a foundation to build up regional leadership.

Loser, Scum, Despot, Die.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Thailand has no real poor like other countries. You are poor in Thailand if you don't have the latest mobile phone. No one is hungry. As well there is no other country in which poor people can open business and get middle class themself. What made the people angry was the huge corruption, but they got really mad by his abuse of power and undermining the monarchy.

There is no rich against poor. But Thaksin tried to seed such problems and in some places with success.

Of course there are poor people in Thailand. If you don't believe me, you really should see Thailand a bit more....

What is your definition from poor?

Have you ever been in India or Cambodia?

For me poor is: not enough to eat, not enough clothes, no place to sleep.

Of course there are poor people, but that are not the Issan farmer and percentage is very low.

No never been to India, to Cambodia, several times, and while there certainly is a small level of difference between poor Cambodians and poor Thais, to say that the poor Thais are rich in comparison to their Cambodian counterparts is stretching it in a big way.

Remember the daily minimum wage in Bangkok (so this doesn't apply to the norht east) is around 200 baht... That's a poor income in my book.

There are many people making 200Bt and less per day in Thailand and that by anyones stretch of the imagination is terribly poor. There are villages that don't have reliable running water and that are always grateful of extra clothes because they don't have enough. The only reason you don't see abject poverty in Thailand is that people can nearly always get shelter from family network, temples etc and the same goes for food. There is a very large percentage of Thais that would not make it at all if they had to survive as a nuclear family.

They would not have the funds to survive one month let alone open a business and aspire to become middle class.

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly or something like that. I think we can all see this is about power it must be an addiction, having people bow to you constantly. I'm sure he doesn't get that kind of treatment in exile,no matter how much dough he has.

But those little perks like the cute little singer he like to play (golf) with are not bad. :o Sure beats that pudgy (x?) wife of his.

What little singer? I missed that one.

Well Thailand has no real poor like other countries. You are poor in Thailand if you don't have the latest mobile phone. No one is hungry. As well there is no other country in which poor people can open business and get middle class themself. What made the people angry was the huge corruption, but they got really mad by his abuse of power and undermining the monarchy.

There is no rich against poor. But Thaksin tried to seed such problems and in some places with success.

Of course there are poor people in Thailand. If you don't believe me, you really should see Thailand a bit more....

Of course there are poor people, but that are not the Issan farmer and percentage is very low.

No never been to India, to Cambodia, several times, and while there certainly is a small level of difference between poor Cambodians and poor Thais, to say that the poor Thais are rich in comparison to their Cambodian counterparts is stretching it in a big way.

Remember the daily minimum wage in Bangkok (so this doesn't apply to the norht east) is around 200 baht... That's a poor income in my book.

Life in Bangkok is in my opinion somehow more difficult than in North-East. Farming rice does not make you rich, but not poor. Recall the Thaksin loans...Getting money for buying mobile phones (with running costs) and guarantee with your land (than he walked with potential Arab buyers around in Isaan).

Such things make people really poor!

If you are a rice farmer, with fish, ducks and chicken in your small wooden house, you don't have much cash on hand but the life quality is not bad.

With that 5000 Baht per month in Bangkok it is much more difficult as you must pay for place to stay and food.

Friend of us: Rubber farm girl without own land, just bought a small house from the 200.000 Baht she had on the bank. How comes she has 200K.

She told: she never pays 1 Baht for anything, eat for free, sleep for free so every single Baht she earns goes on the bank.

Well one must draw a disticntion between poor and destitute and hopeless.

We see a few of them around for sure, but I hava also seen them in NYC Paris London

and other major metropolises. In the country barring severe drought they have roofs

and eat at least a decent rice and veggie diet, as some one says ; 'too much rice. not enough protein'.

Yes Issan has had people messing with the rivers and large drought periods.

But compared to India and much of Africa Thais in general are doing much better.

I agree with the middle class being like a red flag in front of a bull for many.

That comes down to the GOVERNMENTS dropping the ball with education over and over again.

I can see it now. In three months, you will be reading headlines, like "People attack government with knives and sticks". "Government responds with bullets" .

Thaksins way too powerfull, even when he's not "In Country" Don't think the government does not understand how to control people. They got it down pat. People understand the: " Shut up, or I will shoot you" concept. The governments done it before, will back that up, and will do it again soon. I have seen my wifes fear of Thai soldiers on the train, and not understood that fear. Now I see with her eyes. I am not scared of a man, but a government, YES!

Woe be to foreigners! I am married to a Thai, but LUCKILY, work and live outside Thailand!

In a nutshell: If Thaksin returns to power(I believe he will) CIVIL WAR. bottom line. Am I wrong?

Ex-Thai PM hits out at UK

by Dylan BowmanThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it on Sunday, 23 November 2008

LASHING OUT: Shinawatra (pictured) said the British government was not respecting its own democratic values. (Getty Images)

LASHING OUT: Shinawatra (pictured) said the British government was not respecting its own democratic values. (Getty Images)

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has lashed out at the UK for revoking his visa - and vowed to return to Thailand as prime minister.

In an exclusive interview with Arabian Business, to be published next Sunday, Shinawatra said the UK would "feel sorrow" for revoking his visa and accused the British government of not respecting its own democratic values.

Shinawatra’s UK visa was cancelled earlier this month following his conviction for corruption in Thailand. He had fled to the UK in 2006 following a military coup that removed him from power.

Story continues below ↓

advertisement

"England must understand better, but unfortunately they are now busy with their own problems - so they forgot about democratic values," Shinawatra said during an interview in Dubai.

Shinawatra vowed to return to Thailand at some stage, stating that he could bring confidence back to the country.

"The country is going down deeply. The confidence is not there. The trust amongst foreign community is not there. The poor people in rural areas are in difficulty," he said.

"With me at the helm I can bring confidence quickly back to Thailand. We have to find a mechanism under which I can go back, that is why I must tell you that I will go back into politics."

However, Shinawatra said he would only return if the people and the king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"I think a lot depends on the power of the people. If they feel they are in hardship and they need me to help them, I will go back," he said.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don’t need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business."

The full, exclusive interview with Shinawatra will be published in Arabian Business on Sunday Nov. 30, and from 10am on Thursday Nov. 27 online at ArabianBusiness.com

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/539193-ex-t...-hits-out-at-uk

End of a corrupt politician?

Dr. SN Mamoon, On e-mail

Photo: AFP

Recently visa of former Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been revoked by the British government. He is reportedly heading towards the Philippines which announced that they will refuse him entry to Philippines. It seems that Thaksin is looking for a safe place to live. Warrant has been issued by the Thai government for his arrest.

I lived in Bangkok for quite some time. A Bangladeshi businessman living in Thailand for more than fifteen years narrated to me the interesting story of the rise of Thaksin, the thug. Thailand is divided into four parts- north, north-east, central and south. The north and north-eastern parts are more populated, poorer, less educated and more mountainous than central and south. In the north opium is grown and smuggled to the western countries. It constitutes a part of the 'infamous' golden triangle for opium cultivation and smuggling

Thaksin was a police officer from a modest background. He reportedly amassed huge wealth through dubious means like drug, gun smuggling along with a few friends. He then started his own business, trading, industries etc and thus multiplied his ill-gotten capital. He also started to harbour political ambitions. He along with his old cronies founded 'Thai rak thai' party. He found that north and north-eastern regions have more seats in parliament than the rest of the country. He concentrated on getting more deputies elected from above mentioned two regions which would give him majority in parliament. 'Thai rak thai party' aimed at securing all the rural seats of north and north-east regions .His party was not popular among the educated urban population of Thailand, Bangkok and other big cities. During election time his party, its candidates resorted to some unique ways of buying vote. They would transfer money to voters' bank accounts, lend them credit cards to buy goods etc. The poor rural less educated voters were kept happy as they looked for short-term benefits. Thaksin got elected, his party secured majority in parliament and eventually plundered the country. Many financial irregularities were committed by him. Political and financial power made Thaksin more ambitious. He challenged the power and authority of the president of the privy council of the King, Prem Trisulananda. Prem is reputed to be a very honest person in Thailand. He chairs the advisory council of the King. In Thailand the King is revered as next to God for his benevolent nature and public welfare activities. At any given situation King's decisions and gestures are final and binding. King usually does not involve himself or interfere in politics unless in cases of utmost necessity. Thaksin committed the fatal error of challenging king's inner council. It prompted his decline. We know the rest of the story.

A very corrupt, ambitious and greedy politician named Thaksin Shinawatra along with his family is now running from pillar to post for asylum. All his ill-gotten wealth is unable to help him or bail him out from this situation.

His case along with that of Marcos should serve as an example for our politicians and other politicians of the world as to the ultimate fate of the corrupt ones.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=64457

Taksin is getting more populair by the day

Ex-Thai PM hits out at UK

by Dylan BowmanThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it on Sunday, 23 November 2008

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has lashed out at the UK for revoking his visa - and vowed to return to Thailand as prime minister.

In an exclusive interview with Arabian Business, to be published next Sunday, Shinawatra said the UK would "feel sorrow" for revoking his visa and accused the British government of not respecting its own democratic values.

Shinawatra’s UK visa was cancelled earlier this month following his conviction for corruption in Thailand. He had fled to the UK in 2006 following a military coup that removed him from power.

Story continues below ↓

advertisement

"England must understand better, but unfortunately they are now busy with their own problems - so they forgot about democratic values," Shinawatra said during an interview in Dubai.

Shinawatra vowed to return to Thailand at some stage, stating that he could bring confidence back to the country.

"The country is going down deeply. The confidence is not there. The trust amongst foreign community is not there. The poor people in rural areas are in difficulty," he said.

"With me at the helm I can bring confidence quickly back to Thailand. We have to find a mechanism under which I can go back, that is why I must tell you that I will go back into politics."

However, Shinawatra said he would only return if the people and the king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"I think a lot depends on the power of the people. If they feel they are in hardship and they need me to help them, I will go back," he said.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don’t need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business."

The full, exclusive interview with Shinawatra will be published in Arabian Business on Sunday Nov. 30, and from 10am on Thursday Nov. 27 online at ArabianBusiness.com

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/539193-ex-t...-hits-out-at-uk

End of a corrupt politician?

Dr. SN Mamoon, On e-mail

Photo: AFP

Recently visa of former Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been revoked by the British government. He is reportedly heading towards the Philippines which announced that they will refuse him entry to Philippines. It seems that Thaksin is looking for a safe place to live. Warrant has been issued by the Thai government for his arrest.

I lived in Bangkok for quite some time. A Bangladeshi businessman living in Thailand for more than fifteen years narrated to me the interesting story of the rise of Thaksin, the thug. Thailand is divided into four parts- north, north-east, central and south. The north and north-eastern parts are more populated, poorer, less educated and more mountainous than central and south. In the north opium is grown and smuggled to the western countries. It constitutes a part of the 'infamous' golden triangle for opium cultivation and smuggling

Thaksin was a police officer from a modest background. He reportedly amassed huge wealth through dubious means like drug, gun smuggling along with a few friends. He then started his own business, trading, industries etc and thus multiplied his ill-gotten capital. He also started to harbour political ambitions. He along with his old cronies founded 'Thai rak thai' party. He found that north and north-eastern regions have more seats in parliament than the rest of the country. He concentrated on getting more deputies elected from above mentioned two regions which would give him majority in parliament. 'Thai rak thai party' aimed at securing all the rural seats of north and north-east regions .His party was not popular among the educated urban population of Thailand, Bangkok and other big cities. During election time his party, its candidates resorted to some unique ways of buying vote. They would transfer money to voters' bank accounts, lend them credit cards to buy goods etc. The poor rural less educated voters were kept happy as they looked for short-term benefits. Thaksin got elected, his party secured majority in parliament and eventually plundered the country. Many financial irregularities were committed by him. Political and financial power made Thaksin more ambitious. He challenged the power and authority of the president of the privy council of the King, Prem Trisulananda. Prem is reputed to be a very honest person in Thailand. He chairs the advisory council of the King. In Thailand the King is revered as next to God for his benevolent nature and public welfare activities. At any given situation King's decisions and gestures are final and binding. King usually does not involve himself or interfere in politics unless in cases of utmost necessity. Thaksin committed the fatal error of challenging king's inner council. It prompted his decline. We know the rest of the story.

A very corrupt, ambitious and greedy politician named Thaksin Shinawatra along with his family is now running from pillar to post for asylum. All his ill-gotten wealth is unable to help him or bail him out from this situation.

His case along with that of Marcos should serve as an example for our politicians and other politicians of the world as to the ultimate fate of the corrupt ones.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=64457

Taksin is getting more populair by the day

He is being clearer every day. His opponents will have to respond to this. He either senses he is in a strong position or he is a bit desperate. Hard to tell which one

Hilarious. Yes Mr Taksin, the whole world *does* revolve around you :o

Bulletproof ego too :D

A Bangladeshi businessman living in Thailand for more than fifteen years narrated to me the interesting story of the rise of Thaksin, the thug.

And they call this journalism.

Exactly my thoughts... :o

Thedailystar.net is an English internet newspaper from Bangladesh, an -almost- neighbour of Thailand with more than 150 million people; most of them dead poor. Religion is for 83% Muslim and 16% Hindu.

The People's Republic of Bangladesh is -in name- a parliamentary democracy, however, political rule has been suspended under emergency law since January 11, 2007, and the country is IN FACT ruled by the military.... :D

The military is in complete control of all media, including TV stations and news is censored.

And the esteemed writer of the article, Bangladeshi Dr. SN Mamoon writes:

"His case along with that of Marcos should serve as an example for our politicians and other politicians of the world as to the ultimate fate of the corrupt ones." ??? :D

Unbelievable Pot Kettle Black :D

LaoPo

He will never be allowed to return to power.

He'd be signing his own death warrant.

As I said recently, he's shaping his own future...

That is the conventional wisdom but big chnages will happen one day in Thailand and Thaksin still has a lot of popularity. I personally would never say never :o

Thaksin has shedloads of money, he's made over 800 million GBP on the sale of Manchester City, plus he has other amounts no doubt, enough, to put in an appeal against his conviction, support the PPP, and drum up support, whether it leads to a civil war as one post suggests, I really don't know................. :o
— he paid £21.6m to buy City in June 2007.

The outgoing Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra doubled his money in just over a year by making a £20m profit when he sold the club to Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi, according to well-placed sources.

800m GBP ---- never let the facts get in the road of whatever BS you wish to promote. It is hard to imagine that this style of creative post is simply due to a simple lack of knowledge ----- how can 20 become 800 ??? and why ????

Thaksin has shedloads of money, he's made over 800 million GBP on the sale of Manchester City, plus he has other amounts no doubt, enough, to put in an appeal against his conviction, support the PPP, and drum up support, whether it leads to a civil war as one post suggests, I really don't know................. :o

The outgoing Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra doubled his money in just over a year by making a £20m profit when he sold the club to Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi, according to well-placed sources.

800m GBP ---- never let the facts get in the road of whatever BS you wish to promote. It is hard to imagine that this style of creative post is simply due to a simple lack of knowledge ----- how can 20 become 800 ??? and why ????

You wouldnt make 800 million on the sale of ManU. We also dont know the full details of the short term loan deals Thaksin reportedly used for a variety of things including but not just limited to the football club purchase so the exact profit may be difficult to estimate.

>>>However, Shinawatra said he would only return if the people and king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don’t need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business." <<<

I think he is very naive here, doubt that this is ever allowed happen :o

Edited by Terminator

>>>However, Shinawatra said he would only return if the people and king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don’t need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business." <<<

This remark is imho carefully calculated to fit in with a longer term campaign and create pressure and potantial fissures

Err.. Maybe he convinced the buyer that he was selling The City Of Manchester... :D

Just coming back from the south, there are around 90 % strong against him. Look at the last election, PPP got less than 50 %. So why didn't the 90 % Thaksin supporter vote for PPP?

check the population distribution in thailand ...(Yes please do so!) the majority lives in the north east - Isaan (well.... no actually---Isaan is about one third of the nations population) - with the lowest edjucation level and subsequently lowest mental capacity to understand politics or much else for that matter (Such racist absurdity speaks loudly of the intelligence of the poster!)- Thaksin's power base

I imagine your question was rhetorical --- but here goes:

1: Prior to the election you refer to there was a military coup supported by PAD. The military Junta promised to pass government back into civilian hands promptly --- but instead placed an (ex) general in as PM. They did every thing in their power to diminish support for Thaksin.

2: Stacked every possible court and commission ---- used every government controlled media outlet to attack their sworn enemy --- adjusted public service positions ---etc.....etc...

3: Then used every method at their disposal to win the election. Bribery---corruption--- threats--- overt pressure --

"The problem of state officials aligning themselves with or against a political party runs from the very top of government to its lowest levels. Early on in the political campaign it emerged that the Council for National Security had drafted a plan to restrict the activities of the People Power party (PPP). Though its authenticity was initially denied by coup makers, it was belatedly confirmed as genuine, and an EC sub-committee ruled that they had acted with bias.

There is some debate as to whether this plan was implemented or not. The EC argued it was not, overruled the findings of its sub-committee and failed to even chastise the coup makers for approving such a plan.

When tallied with anti-Thaksin comments made by outspoken EC commissioner Sodsri Sattayatham, the EC, as well as the coup makers, left themselves open to accusations of bias.

Moreover, even if a nationwide plan to prevent the PPP from coming to power was not systematically implemented, there are numerous examples of the military interfering in the political process.

In Chiang Rai, an army source alleged that soldiers were instructed to vote for Chart Thai, PPP's main rival in the area. The homes of between 50 and 100 PPP supporters in the area were searched by police and army under the pretence of ''looking for weapons''.

So --- Answer: due to the above!! Of course some may have independently made their mind up that a grub like Thaksin just should not be PM of Thailand.

Your real question should have been "How could those in power NOT win?"

Thaksin : UK will be sorry

Ex-Prime Minister Tahksin Shinawatra lashed out at the UK for revoking his visa, saying the British government was not respecting its own democratic values.

In an exclusive interview with Arabian Business, to be published next Sunday, Thaksin said the UK would "feel sorrow" for revoking his visa.

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled earlier this month following his conviction for corruption in Thailand. He had fled to the UK in 2006 following a military coup that removed him from power.

Thaksin vowed to return to Thailand at some stage, stating that he could bring confidence back to the country.

However, Thaksin said he would only return if the people and the king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don't need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business."

The full, exclusive interview with Shinawatra will be published in Arabian Business on Sunday Nov. 30, and from 10am on Thursday Nov. 27 online at ArabianBusiness.com.

Source: The Nation - 24 November 2008

Ex-Prime Minister Tahksin Shinawatra lashed out at the UK for revoking his visa, saying the British government was not respecting its own democratic values.

In an exclusive interview with Arabian Business, to be published next Sunday, Thaksin said the UK would "feel sorrow" for revoking his visa.

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled earlier this month following his conviction for corruption in Thailand. He had fled to the UK in 2006 following a military coup that removed him from power.

Thaksin vowed to return to Thailand at some stage, stating that he could bring confidence back to the country.

However, Thaksin said he would only return if the people and the king of Thailand wanted him to go back.

"If the king feels I can be beneficial I will go back and he may grant me a royal pardon. If they don't need me and the king feels I can make no difference then I will stay here and do business."

The full, exclusive interview with Shinawatra will be published in Arabian Business on Sunday Nov. 30, and from 10am on Thursday Nov. 27 online at ArabianBusiness.com.

He is definitley going for it. Either from a position of power or desperation.

I wonder if the UK has assumed he will lose or if he is not a big issue for them

This remark is imho carefully calculated to fit in with a longer term campaign and create pressure and potantial fissures

as sure as there are clouds in the sky..."very carefully constructed"...!

Asking his supporters to "love" him and if there is no amnesty someone isn't kind.... is the basic translation of this.

He is definitley going for it. Either from a position of power or desperation.

I wonder if the UK has assumed he will lose or if he is not a big issue for them

It was possibly more from an embarresment viewpoint had he been allowed to remain in the UK whilst still politcally active.

...........edited.....

......edited.....

Well, he is quite a character, he starts to get somewhat funny, if he may ever return, some people have to run for a shelter, this guys ego is completely out of control!

Humm...... So what are the brits supposed to think with a statement like that?

• Harmless nutter whose all talk and no trousers
  • A man intent on executing some terrorist outrage

Way go Toxin :o

Unfortunately I think that all you have done is confirm to the UK government that you are the former and gratefully someone else's problem

Humm...... So what are the brits supposed to think with a statement like that?

• Harmless nutter whose all talk and no trousers
  • A man intent on executing some terrorist outrage

Way go Toxin :D

Unfortunately I think that all you have done is confirm to the UK government that you are the former and gratefully someone else's problem

He may be a "harmless nutter" as far as the Foreign Office is concerned, but as far as Thailand is concerned he is a highly dangerous nutter, whose words are daily causing terrorist outrages by the likes of Sae Daeng and other members of his barmy army.

I wonder when the Economist will wake up to the true nature of the man they've been semi-cheering on from the sidelines and give some more balanced reporting. Even the more sober Jonathan Head of the BBC looks a bit of a &lt;deleted&gt; now as the scales must surely be falling from his eyes about this man's true nature and underlying instability to return as a leader (no matter what the adoring masses of Isaan may think). :o