Hi-speed Connection Outside Bkk

baboo

I plan to return to Thailand for a few months early 05 and will be looking to rent a place outside Bangkok (Krabi,Pataya,Ko Samui,or Phuket) and will need to do some work at night on the internet. How hard is it to get an internet connection(not modem) outside BKK? I live in the desert right now with a satellite connection (DIRECTWAY) which is ok but I dout if that is available in Thailand.......Look forward to any response,,..Thanks

You didn't bother searching the site much, did you.

There is satellite internet covering the whole of Thailand called IPStar from CS Loxinfo, but it is fairly expensive (although will supposedly get cheaper next year when they switch to the new all-singing, all-dancing satellite).

There is ADSL in Pattaya, and some parts of Phuket. I don't know about Krabi or Koh Samui, although depending on where you are in Koh Samui I did hear there was a Wifi hotspot covering the area around the main IT shopping area there.

Why are you asking about so many different places though. If you're renting you probably won't have the ability to set up broadband as you'd certainly need the person who's name the phone line is in to sign up to ADSL, and installing IPStar requires a fairly large concrete mounting point with line of sight to both the new and the old satellites (yes - the new satellite is in a different direction)?