8 Injured In Another Bomb Attack Outside Govt House

george

Its a big difference, yes. I agree with you h90

Ok here's my solution !

1) Toughen up on ballot box security.

+

2) An education programme in which you tell the underclasses about the consequences of selling their vote.

+

3) You also tell them that they can still vote for who they like EVEN IF someone has given them cash. (So its not selling their vote)

+

4)you put in the voting booths duplicate ballot papers, so if the briber has told them to photograph their ballot, they can do so, and chuck it in the bin.

I'm kind of brainstorming, but mightn't this work, ........its better than a countrywide stalemate. Chamlong says himself the underclasses need educating about democracy.

These ideas are good. I would like to add:

5) Country wide list of candidates. Not that area based system. Than the local guy won't spend all his money and use all his power to get elected in his area. If he is on a good position on the list, he'll be elected anyway. If he is on a bad position he won't be elected anyway.

6) Vote buying or taking payment=huge penalty and lifetime ban from elections/voting rights for the politican, the guy who took the money and any middleman and telling that day and night very clear on TV.

At point 4) On the beginning the voters got a left shoe and the right shoe only after that area got the majority. Now one thing I heard was: they can buy something on credit, if the party wins in that area the credit does not need to get paid. Sure there are other smart systems to ensure that the voter don't cheat.

Another thing is that parties who want to buy votes don't want these laws, so you never get these laws, unless something drastic happens (military coup or simillar).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a big difference, yes. I agree with you h90

Ok here's my solution !

1) Toughen up on ballot box security.

+

2) An education programme in which you tell the underclasses about the consequences of selling their vote.

+

3) You also tell them that they can still vote for who they like EVEN IF someone has given them cash. (So its not selling their vote)

+

4)you put in the voting booths duplicate ballot papers, so if the briber has told them to photograph their ballot, they can do so, and chuck it in the bin.

I'm kind of brainstorming, but mightn't this work, ........its better than a countrywide stalemate. Chamlong says himself the underclasses need educating about democracy.

All good ideas and to the point.

If they understand that the alternative might leave more money in

the coffers for them they might vote otherwise.

I don't think the avergage person realizes that the genie is indeed out of the bottle.

ALL politicians are going to HAVE TO think about the northern constituency.

The first NON TRT decended party top do this clearly will win MANY hearts and minds.

It may take the COMBINATION of banning the corrupt bastards for at lkeast one full election cycle,

AND the powers that be actually doing MORE for the people up north than the Thaksistas ever did.

That may be problematic because the economy,

through no fault of their own, is going in the shitty big time.

Why can they not use Western simple logic ...

Western logic like the differences of "opinion" between the Brits & IRA?? ETA and Spain?? In Chiapas Mexico ?? South Africa & advocates for or against apartheid??

I hope the violence in Thailand, and everywhere else for that matter, ceases and the causes for it are resolved, but to suggest that this is some failing in Thai or Asian logic in comparison to life in farangland where all is serene & blissful and disagreements are settled over tea is, once again, hogwash.

Violence results when greedy people either want to maintain the status quo or they want to disrupt the status quo, or when people with long standing grievances find no reasonable way of resolving those grievances or are impatient with the process for change. It's abhorent because innocent people or at least people protesting in a reasonable manner, are injured or killed. Unfortunately it is sometimes effective in forcing change. It is not, however, some singular failing of Thais or Asians, nor is it a problem people in the west have risen above.

It continually amazes me that people who have come to live in Thailand must constantly and in all cases resort to us versus them mentality in viewing anything that happens. People do horrible things to one another everywhere in the world. Whether it's out of frustration, due to alleged righteous indignation, for personal enrichment ... whatever reason, it's sad. But these problems are problems everywhere. Attributing these problems to some unique failing of Thais or Asians or anyone who doesn't look like us and assuming that the world would be problem-free if only everyone acted like westerners is simply ridiculous and demonstrates that the concept of universal "Western logic" doesn't exist universally.

WOW, long diatribe about nothing in particular , please re-read what i ACTUALLY wrote and not what YOU prefered to read it as , i did mention simple logic (not any-ones in particular) as used on Thai Visa . Absolutely NO US VERSUS THEM MENTALITY , learn to read what is written instead of taking only the words you like to further YOUR CAUSE in Farang bashing . It was written (as if you care or even noticed) 'Tongue in cheek' .

I don't think the grenade tossers are terrorists. Murderers or criminals now, yes, but not terrorists. I doubt they are organized or adherents of any political philosophy. Most likely, murderers for hire with a history of violent crime. Not whitewashing this event, put is it any different than during the Irish troubles plenty of extortionists and thugs called themselves IRA as an excuse to kill and maim? Alot of what is described as terrorism in Iraq now is simply the work of violent thugs looking to kidnap for ransom or steal.

This topic continues here:

Breaking News:

Protesters begin "last battle" at Parliament, Police step up security

4 grenades explode near ASTV TV station

PAD Protesters besiege Parliament, Police head office, electricity cut off

5 MPs, 1 senator stranded inside Parlaiment, House meeting postponmed indefinitely

Developing story:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/4-Grenades-E...ti-t224559.html