How To Extend Non Imm 'o' And Get Work Permit?

I went to Bangkok Immigration and changed my tourist visa to a non-immigrant 'O' visa for the purposes of volunteering at a hilltribe school in Mae Hong Son. It was issued on October 24th and is valid for 90 days before which I must get an extension for it. I want to extend it for 1 year with a multiple entry permit.

1. What paperwork is required to extend it for 1 yr? (I believe a work permit is needed)

2. What paperwork is needed to apply for a work permit and where can I apply for one?

3. I believe I can apply for the extension at Mae Hong Son Immigration instead of BKK Imm?

4. The 90 days given expires on Jan 21st, can I apply for the extension+wp any time before this date or do I need a certain number of days left to apply?

Thanks,

Mel

A WP can be asked for at the local labour office. Best is if your school contacts the labour office to see which documents they require, they will also need to get some forms.

You will need things like:

- list of foreign workers at the school

- map to your house

- map of the school

- letter from the school

- letter from the area education office

- copy of your degree

- filled in forms from the labour office

You need a WP to work, including volunteer work. Now you are working illegaly.

When you have applied for the WP you can go to your local immigration office. Better contact them too, but largely it is the same as for the labour office.

Don't worry, the school has a lot of papers to prepare but it is very easy.

A WP can be asked for at the local labour office. Best is if your school contacts the labour office to see which documents they require, they will also need to get some forms.

- map to your house

- map of the school

- letter from the school

- copy of your degree

When you have applied for the WP you can go to your local immigration office. Better contact them too, but largely it is the same as for the labour office.

Thanks Mario,

Do you happen to know if I need a certain number of days left on my 90 day extension to apply for the 1 yr extension? As about 30 of the 90 days has passed already and I can imagine it will take some time to acquire all this paperwork.

Thanks again,

- map to your house

- map of the school

- letter from the school

- copy of your degree

Thanks Mario,

Do you happen to know if I need a certain number of days left on my 90 day extension to apply for the 1 yr extension? As about 30 of the 90 days has passed already and I can imagine it will take some time to acquire all this paperwork.

Thanks again,

They like you to apply within the final month of your permission to stay.