The New Crop Of Japanese Literbikes Getting Uglier And Uglier

submaniac

Why did Honda have to do this to the Fireblade? It was so much cooler before.

2008-cbr1000rr.jpg

The venerable R1, which I have been drooling over since it was introduced in 1999. Why oh why did Yamaha have to do this:

09MS_YZFR1_wht_S3%20copye.jpg

The Suzuki B-King? What the hel_l is this?

suzuki-b-king-1.gif

The fully faired version, the Hayabusa is just a little less ugly...

Suzuki_Hayabusa_2008_stpz.jpg

The only literbike that still looks cool is the Ninja ZX10R...but still...the previous generation was still better looking.

49f44e69-d3b9-4c93-8b8b-9d4777b9be36.jpg

Thailand related? You need alot of money if you want to have any of these bikes in Thailand.

Edited by submaniac

Hehe I have to agree with you there my previous dream machine Fireblade is ruined now, but then again I really like the new Kawa it just look violently fast and furious. Price well there you go not exactly LOS regarding that I'm afraid. Red Baron has a Kawa liter for 630k baht which is just insane in my humble opinion.

I HOPE that the new trade deal is getting better prices for us bikers in Thailand, so I will see next year if life gets better.

Cheers Bard

A few observations.

The Firebird. Not too bad. Would probably look a lot better in a different color scheme. Though what's with all the warning labels on the swingarm?

The R1. The best of the bunch. Again would like to see it close up in another color scheme. Are they the actual colors or a Photoshop job? From this angle the exhuasts look kinda wierd.

The B-king. Jesus H. Christ! That headlight is a space-helmet from the Starship Troopers cartoon series surely. Actually, if everything above the rear shock was redesigned, it could work.

The Hyabusa. Apart from an overdose of fairing, it's okay. Just get rid of that bloody camel hump at the back. Very easy to clean, I would think.

The Ninja. Color scheme doesn't quite work. Can't really see much else.

The B-King is what you get if you cross a monkey and a buffalo! All the rest you mentioned are excellent designs that reflect their sporting nature. You can't stop progress....or the marketing department! :o

Just some fun facts about Kawasaki who seems to be the driving force in Motorbikes for the moment, before I get flamed for that statement lets take a look.

Overall motorbike sales went down 5% in 2008, however Kawasaki increased there sales with 6%, they are launching new models fast in a downturn market which is very brave and can go extremely good or bad for them. Other brands seems to preserve cash and be less vigorous in coming up with new models. Like Kawasaki or not, but it's good they do, keeps the market moving...

For the quickest and fastest production bike on the planet was conquered by the new Ninja 14 when it beat the Hayabusa on Atco raceway with a quarter mile in 7.77 second at speed of 191 mph, 0.2 second faster than the next fastest Hayabusa, so the speed monsters didn't stop with Hayabusa.

probably because I'm European I always liked Kawasaki they had a moving sales market there but they have averaged 15% of all bikes sold in Europe, so I have always had lots of friends with them, had some myself and enjoy that they are in forefront now in this negative market, luckily someone have the balls to pull.

The Firebird. Not too bad. Would probably look a lot better in a different color scheme. Though what's with all the warning labels on the swingarm?

In Thailand, gives the pedestrian who foolishly stepped out in front of you something to read until emergency services arrives to remove him from underneath your rear wheel.

The R1. The best of the bunch. Again would like to see it close up in another color scheme. Are they the actual colors or a Photoshop job? From this angle the exhuasts look kinda wierd.

Actual colors, actual real bike. No photoshop.

The CBR1000RR definitely better than last year model. In looks, performance and handling. A better all round package. Those who are in the market for the complete Superbike should look no further.

R1 should have left it alone in 2004. There most succesful year yet. More of a sportstourer than a sportbike these days. Not Hardcore enough.

Suzuki Gixxer well it's more of the same. But should have stayed with the 2005 recipe. The greatest of them all. The later models ruined by noise and pollution legislation. Made it fat.

Kawasaki ZX10R went back to the track. But that all your going to get a track bike. Suspension too hard for the street. Makes for an uncomfortable commute. Power is all topend, tuned for a closed circuit enviroment.

B-King just a development exercise. Cumbersome and costly for what it is. There are fewer buyers today willing to take on this elephant.

Hayabusa gets better with age. And yes better to buy the new version over the older units. Advancement in chassis design and engine performance brought this very quick hippo up to date. Pointless on Thai roads as it is a pain in the arse to filter in traffic. But once out in the open road, you are alone at a cosmic projectile.

Question.

Is the modern Japanese Superbike suitable for Thailand's roads?

Edited by Travelmate

I wouldn't kick any of them out of my garage if I had the money to buy and run one here.

Ninja is the pick of the bunch posted IMHO but then I have always quite liked Kawa's styling and their green colours.

Maybe I will get the baby ninja if the bht rate ticks up a little more but until the tax rate for the litre bikes comes down they are out of my price bracket unfortunately.

Question.

Is the modern Japanese Superbike suitable for Thailand's roads?

Answer: Thai roads are not suitable for a Japanese superbike.

A disgrace for the most part.

They are if you live in a town or village with decent roads :D

It would be nice if they let sportsbikes go on the toll roads too :o

Honda - typical restrained plain jane Honda looks - but probably the most useable in the real world

R1 - God that is butt ugly!

Suzuki - they not change the Gixxer? The B-King looks like a fun machine . . . one wheel fun that is! Busa - same same.

Kawak . . DROOOOOOOOOOOOL .. .. dam_n that is one sexy psycho machine! :D If I was still in the UK I'd have one in my garage double quick! Mind you I've always loved Kawak-asakis - the ZX7R was a great bike - had two of them. Very nearly bought a ZX10R when they were first released but with my pending departure from the UK I decided keep my tuned ZX7R til the end. They were a tuners dream - pity they were just so heavy. I really wish Kawa would release a new ZX7R based around the ZX10R format.

Mind you with all this race for big engines in small packages it strange that the bike I probably got the very most use out of was my old Yamaha Thundercat 600R. I embarassed many R1s, Dukes and Gixxers around the the IOM TT Course . . . however the all in one seat coming unclipped over the bumps at Gingerhall (I think it was) at 145mph was slightly unnerving! :o

I just manage to cling on to it between my thighs to stop it flying off and killing someone! :D:D

I don't anyone else has spotted this. But take a good look at the B-king. Especially the headlight area.

suzuki-b-king-1.gif

Now look at the head area of a Cylon Raider from the new "Battlestar Galactica" series:

cylon.JPG

Also, I think with some manipulation this

suzuki-b-king-1.gif

could be transformed into this:

robotech_new_generation.jpg

Yes, people. The Suzuki B-King is actually a robot.