4 Grenades Explode Near Thailand's Anti-government Tv Station

LaoPo

:o PAD have openly admitted that they are not in favour of democracy (despite it being part of their name) - they are acting illegally, causing chaos to ordinary Thais and are claiming that the votes of the "intelligent" people in Bangkok are somehow more valid than votes from "less intelligent" rural areas.

The point about democracy is that if the majority of people in a country prefer to have a government that is seen as corrupt - then this is their right - I suspect that there are millions of Thai's who do not really want to see an end to the way things have been done for centuries - education and wealth sharing are the only ways to achieve real change in Thailand

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to find something on Thai TV this morning concerning the demonstrations, but in vain. Far as mainstream TV concerned, it's not happening. As in a hotel, not a great deal of choice of Thai channels, but NBT only talking about petrol prices.

Also, travelling from Victory Monument to MBK, no evidence of anything untoward happening. Life goes on!

Hi.

Maybe one very important bit should be "stickied" to the top of each page because it generates multiple arguments over and over again: Elected vs. unelected.

While the GOVERNMENT was indeed elected, it was so by members of a party that came into power NOT by fair election but by DIRECT vote-buying ("cash-for-votes") as has been observed by many, including myself, and has been found true by the EC and hence that party is awaiting dissolution.

That party is made up mainly of ex-members of another party which was dissolved for, guess what? Yes, vote buying. And guess what? A new party has already been formed to welcome members of the currently ruling one once it's being dissolved. HOW do you think they are going into the next election? Wanna bet? Old dogs won't learn new tricks.

The other parties involved in the electing of the government are in that position because they broke their promises (i.e. "we won't work together with them!") and are no better than the ruling party.

Oh, and the advice for "whom to elect for which position" within the government was sought from a CONVICTED CRIMINAL ON THE RUN, outside Thailand even.

And the PAD do NOT want to stop the government from governing the country! BUT the government has no interest in governing the country at all, that is the problem. All they care for is to hang on to power long enough to amend the constitution in order to pardon themselves for their vote-buying as well as clean the records for said CONVICTED CRIMINAL ON THE RUN so he can come back and take top government position again, thereby once again breaking HIS promises ("... i will never enter politics again...")

The current government has one single purpose: Bring back Mr. Toxin.

And THAT is what the PAD want to prevent. As the law is in the hands of the criminals, pardon "elected government", the PAD got nowhere to turn than to the streets in good, old fashioned mob rule.

Power to them.

Thanh

One cannot keep changing the rules if one did not win. The PPP came into power in accordance with the rules, the constitution written by the military government (which in actually fact purposely written to disadvantage the PPP). The fact is that the non-PPP part still unable to win (what a looser).

On the subject of vote buying. My view is that all parties buy votes. Some more and some less. If you are not caught, you get away if it (just like shop lifting). If you are caught, you should be punish (to to deter one from sholifting). What I really feel uneasy in Thailand is that PAD claims that only PPP buy vote, while their (PAD) alliance did not. I find it hard to take.

In extreme comparision; if PPP MPs is wrong for robbing a bank; is non-PPP MPs OK for holding up a convenient store? See what I mean?

You seem so well informed that you don't know PAD is not a political party

I have never mention that PAD is a party. The bold section you high lighted did not say anything about a PAD party. It sais PAD alliance (eg political party that ally themself to PAD). I hate you mention names, but that is what you like, an example of PAD alliance is the "Democrates patry".

Edited by CuttySark

Hi.

Maybe one very important bit should be "stickied" to the top of each page because it generates multiple arguments over and over again: Elected vs. unelected.

While the GOVERNMENT was indeed elected, it was so by members of a party that came into power NOT by fair election but by DIRECT vote-buying ("cash-for-votes") as has been observed by many, including myself, and has been found true by the EC and hence that party is awaiting dissolution.

That party is made up mainly of ex-members of another party which was dissolved for, guess what? Yes, vote buying. And guess what? A new party has already been formed to welcome members of the currently ruling one once it's being dissolved. HOW do you think they are going into the next election? Wanna bet? Old dogs won't learn new tricks.

The other parties involved in the electing of the government are in that position because they broke their promises (i.e. "we won't work together with them!") and are no better than the ruling party.

Oh, and the advice for "whom to elect for which position" within the government was sought from a CONVICTED CRIMINAL ON THE RUN, outside Thailand even.

And the PAD do NOT want to stop the government from governing the country! BUT the government has no interest in governing the country at all, that is the problem. All they care for is to hang on to power long enough to amend the constitution in order to pardon themselves for their vote-buying as well as clean the records for said CONVICTED CRIMINAL ON THE RUN so he can come back and take top government position again, thereby once again breaking HIS promises ("... i will never enter politics again...")

And THAT is what the PAD want to prevent. As the law is in the hands of the criminals, pardon "elected government", the PAD got nowhere to turn than to the streets in good, old fashioned mob rule.

Power to them.

Thanh

One cannot keep changing the rules if one did not win. The PPP came into power in accordance with the rules, the constitution written by the military government (which in actually fact purposely written to disadvantage the PPP). The fact is that the non-PPP part still unable to win (what a looser).

On the subject of vote buying. My view is that all parties buy votes. Some more and some less. If you are not caught, you get away if it (just like shop lifting). If you are caught, you should be punish (to to deter one from sholifting). What I really feel uneasy in Thailand is that PAD claims that only PPP buy vote, while their (PAD) alliance did not. I find it hard to take.

In extreme comparision; if PPP MPs is wrong for robbing a bank; is non-PPP MPs OK for holding up a convenient store? See what I mean?

PPP is on the way to loose at the court and wants to change the rules.

The constitution is the same for every party, can you tell me how it can be in disadvantage for the PPP? Beside that it want to punish vote buying?

PAD is no party, does not attend elections and therefor does not buy votes.

Forming alliances with other parties in order to have a majority happens in Europe as well and there is nothing wrong with it...

Ya, of course they do and there is nothing at all wrong with that. BUT the small parties HERE only got votes because of the promise they made "We will NOT work together with PPP, come what may!"

And after the "election" they suddenly changed their mind and worked with PP after all? There either money does the talking - or someone phoned in from London and spoke a few powerful words to get these little guys to observe the ruler and work with PPP as small parties are destined to do.

The voter, who trusted the little ones, got cheated in the process (he could have voted for PPP straight away and gotten 200 Baht for it, too) and that is why a large number of people are upset with the way things are going.

The main problem HERE is the time it takes for the law generating action. For example, if a party in Europe were caught vote-buying, ALL their activities would be suspended with immediate effect, while facts are being collected and verdicts handed down. HERE instead they could even announce on public television "vote for us and collect 200 Baht" as they know, from being caught to dissolution it takes such a long time that they have the opportunity to change the law to their favour.

If it weren't for PAD who work to stall THAT process just long enough for the court to be able to hand down it's verdict and the PPP to be sent packing.

Best regards.....

Thanh

:o PAD have openly admitted that they are not in favour of democracy (despite it being part of their name) - they are acting illegally, causing chaos to ordinary Thais and are claiming that the votes of the "intelligent" people in Bangkok are somehow more valid than votes from "less intelligent" rural areas.

The point about democracy is that if the majority of people in a country prefer to have a government that is seen as corrupt - then this is their right - I suspect that there are millions of Thai's who do not really want to see an end to the way things have been done for centuries - education and wealth sharing are the only ways to achieve real change in Thailand

On the subject of one man one vote. I also feel that smart voters should have more weighting that stupid (sorry for being so extreme, just to make a point clearer) voters. How to implement a smart democracy, I don't have a clue.

An independent judiciary and the rule of the law are one prerequisite for a working democracy. These don't exist in Thailand. Another thing is free press and free speech - doesn't exist in Thailand. Separation of powers - non-existant. So there we have it, a huge mess, which is the current situation.

Yeah, and that's why they've achieved convictions against Thaksin, Thaksin's wife, the former PPP Prime Minister and they're about to get a conviction against the entire PPP.

The PAD are just a bunch of impatient babies. Let the courts do their job...which they're doing.

But no convictions against the PAD and no attempt to break up their trespass and crimnal activities

Strangely you seem to have overlooked the mass-attack, with explosive gas-grenades, by the border-police against the PAD, at the beginning of last month ? Some 500 people injured/maimed/hospitalised ?? Ring any bells ??? :o

Forming alliances with other parties in order to have a majority happens in Europe as well and there is nothing wrong with it...

Ya, of course they do and there is nothing at all wrong with that. BUT the small parties HERE only got votes because of the promise they made "We will NOT work together with PPP, come what may!"

And after the "election" they suddenly changed their mind and worked with PP after all? There either money does the talking - or someone phoned in from London and spoke a few powerful words to get these little guys to observe the ruler and work with PPP as small parties are destined to do.

The voter, who trusted the little ones, got cheated in the process (he could have voted for PPP straight away and gotten 200 Baht for it, too) and that is why a large number of people are upset with the way things are going.

The main problem HERE is the time it takes for the law generating action. For example, if a party in Europe were caught vote-buying, ALL their activities would be suspended with immediate effect, while facts are being collected and verdicts handed down. HERE instead they could even announce on public television "vote for us and collect 200 Baht" as they know, from being caught to dissolution it takes such a long time that they have the opportunity to change the law to their favour.

If it weren't for PAD who work to stall THAT process just long enough for the court to be able to hand down it's verdict and the PPP to be sent packing.

Best regards.....

Thanh

specially Chart Thai the third strongest party promised to make a coalition with the democrats and told that they won't, never, under no circumstances support the PPP.

Hi.

Power to them.

Thanh

If the military govt. had accepted the EU's offer of election observers in 2007 then perhaps all of this could have been avoided.

If they were not confident of a clean election then why reject the offer?

With hindsight it seems they should have accepted and then perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess.

But then of course it would have prevented all this retrospective back biting that both sides love so much and it could have even led to the PAD pointing fingers at the EU if they didn't like the outcome. Well at least they might have appeared on international news every night, so maybe that was a bad diplomatic move by them. They could have "gone inter.."!

Civil War?? I hope not but one never know what will go down in the Land of Smile. :o Heed the warn that was given last week by the PM avoid crowds when ever possible. Again hope cool heads prevail before things get to bad and we have a needless lost of life.

Hi.

Power to them.

Thanh

PPP is on the way to loose at the court and wants to change the rules.

The constitution is the same for every party, can you tell me how it can be in disadvantage for the PPP? Beside that it want to punish vote buying?

PAD is no party, does not attend elections and therefor does not buy votes.

We all unterstand that PAD is not a party. FULL STOP.

If the constitution says that the government can, under certain condition, amend the constitution to suite themselve (save their own ass), than the government have the right to do so, if the condition is met. If the constitution cannot be amended, it should state so in the contitution. One cannot keep changing rules to fit own requirements.

I remember the first thing the military step in was. VOID THE OLD CONSTITUTION AND WRITE A NEW ONE. Time have hardly passed, and you say that this constitution is crap too. What is stopping the military from stating as item #1 - This constitution CANNOT be amended, and CANNOT be VOID, no matter what. Instead, I don't want to discuss about it, item #1 is: INDEMNITY GRANT for the following . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If the military govt. had accepted the EU's offer of election observers in 2007 then perhaps all of this could have been avoided.

If they were not confident of a clean election then why reject the offer?

With hindsight it seems they should have accepted and then perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess.

But then of course it would have prevented all this retrospective back biting that both sides love so much and it could have even led to the PAD pointing fingers at the EU if they didn't like the outcome. Well at least they might have appeared on international news every night, so maybe that was a bad diplomatic move by them. They could have "gone inter.."!

I wonder who rejected EU offers? It must be Thaksin, as his allies are most likely (IMHO) to cheat.

This "little guy" is one of the smartest chinese around. He would do anything for the benefit of this country. Please do not under estimate him. He was an extremely good PM at one time before too.

Edited by sbk
nested quotes removed--sbk

There can only be one family who can pay 500 baht a day to each protester.

Who are you referring to? Given the protesters are anti Thaksin.

Are you really a journalist?

Use your imagination.

Spell it out or <deleted>.

This childish 'we all KNOW who really pays/controls/pulls the strings'-BS is getting boring and really shows what kind of people you are.

There can only be one family who can pay 500 baht a day to each protester.

Who are you referring to? Given the protesters are anti Thaksin.

Are you really a journalist?

Use your imagination.

Spell it out or <deleted>.

This childish 'we all KNOW who really pays/controls/pulls the strings'-BS is getting boring and really shows what kind of people you are.

Could it be:

a) Sondhi

:o Chamlong

c) Joe the plummer

d) Bill Gates

e) all of the above

f) none of the above

PAD guards seize public buses to use in rally

(BangkokPost.com) - A number of public buses belonging to the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) had been seized by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to aid the group in moving protesters between rally points in the capital.

BMTA Director Pinate Puapatanakul said buses running in route numbers 3, 53, 56 and 515 were seized. Policemen were able to facilitate the return of a route 53 bus so far.

Police from Nanglerng station apprehended six PAD guards close to the Royal Thai Survey Department road intersection after the latter seized the bus. The bus's fare collector said the guards had stepped on board and told the driver to stop the bus, before chasing out all the passengers and taking the vehicle's control. Police intercepted the bus, firing into and bursting the front tires to immobilise it. The six men were found with improvised firearms, ammunition and metal rods.

The BMTA had ordered changes in bus routing on several routes to avoid the PAD's rally points. BMTA executives told its traffic planning division to monitor the rally around the clock so changes to bus routing and response to any other problems could be made swiftly.

Is this acceptable to the pro-PAD?

Strangely you seem to have overlooked the mass-attack, with explosive gas-grenades, by the border-police against the PAD, at the beginning of last month ? Some 500 people injured/maimed/hospitalised ?? Ring any bells ??? :o

Do you mean when the police quite rightly moved an illegal obstruction whos aim was purely to obstruct the legal sitting of parlaiment?

It would appear that you take one side of the propoganda while I see it as it is. The only bad thing here is that they don't give a 5 minute warning to the crooks trespassing at government house before launching tear gas into there and dispersing these criminals

(BangkokPost.com) - A number of public buses belonging to the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) had been seized by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to aid the group in moving protesters between rally points in the capital.

BMTA Director Pinate Puapatanakul said buses running in route numbers 3, 53, 56 and 515 were seized. Policemen were able to facilitate the return of a route 53 bus so far.

Police from Nanglerng station apprehended six PAD guards close to the Royal Thai Survey Department road intersection after the latter seized the bus. The bus's fare collector said the guards had stepped on board and told the driver to stop the bus, before chasing out all the passengers and taking the vehicle's control. Police intercepted the bus, firing into and bursting the front tires to immobilise it. The six men were found with improvised firearms, ammunition and metal rods.

The BMTA had ordered changes in bus routing on several routes to avoid the PAD's rally points. BMTA executives told its traffic planning division to monitor the rally around the clock so changes to bus routing and response to any other problems could be made swiftly.

It sounds quite outrageous to me. Then again I cant say I have much time for either side. The PAD are probably thinking they are running a full scale revolution by now.

Strangely you seem to have overlooked the mass-attack, with explosive gas-grenades, by the border-police against the PAD, at the beginning of last month ? Some 500 people injured/maimed/hospitalised ?? Ring any bells ??? :D

Do you mean when the police quite rightly moved an illegal obstruction whos aim was purely to obstruct the legal sitting of parlaiment?

It would appear that you take one side of the propoganda while I see it as it is. The only bad thing here is that they don't give a 5 minute warning to the crooks trespassing at government house before launching tear gas into there and dispersing these criminals

LOL .. grasping at straws there! You seem to fail to notice the wide spread condemnation of the October 7th attacks. "The only bad thing", indeed, the loss of life etc is not a bad thing at all! :o . BTW --- Government House is not where parliament sits.

An independent judiciary and the rule of the law are one prerequisite for a working democracy. These don't exist in Thailand. Another thing is free press and free speech - doesn't exist in Thailand. Separation of powers - non-existant. So there we have it, a huge mess, which is the current situation.

Yeah, and that's why they've achieved convictions against Thaksin, Thaksin's wife, the former PPP Prime Minister and they're about to get a conviction against the entire PPP.

The PAD are just a bunch of impatient babies. Let the courts do their job...which they're doing.

But no convictions against the PAD and no attempt to break up their trespass and crimnal activities

Strangely you seem to have overlooked the mass-attack (by the PAD on the Government house), with explosive gas-grenades, by the border-police (doing the job they are paid for against an illegal mob)against the PAD , at the beginning of last month ? Some 500 people injured/maimed/hospitalised (If you were not in a mob trying to overthrow the Government this would probably not happen to you.)?? Ring any bells ??? :o

I wonder who rejected EU offers? It must be Thaksin, as his allies are most likely (IMHO) to cheat.

No the EU demanded to send observer in a very impolite way. The military government rejected that and was pretty upset. As well many people who support PAD were very upset about the EU.

It was a kind of "who can be more stupid" contest with two winner.....

So this was NOT Thaksin.

Only bad thing?

Where you by any chance one of the coppers laid off for beating up some 'thugs' in the cell?

You seem to have no problem labeling everyone not fitting into your UK-CCTV-fascist-model as criminals and thinking any pain or injury upon them is rightful and a 'good thing'.

If you cannot see an issue with unarmed people getting killed by Police-officers, well...that is it then.

No doubt some will say it is justified. As I have said many times today, they are criminals, no more, no less

It sounds quite outrageous to me. Then again I cant say I have much time for either side. The PAD are probably thinking they are running a full scale revolution by now.

Men in black are not all armed PAD guards. Unless I see other proves, I take it say a 3rd party group trying to use the situation and rob a bus, while the blame goes to PAD.

Strangely you seem to have overlooked the mass-attack, with explosive gas-grenades, by the border-police against the PAD, at the beginning of last month ? Some 500 people injured/maimed/hospitalised ?? Ring any bells ??? :D

LOL .. grasping at straws there! You seem to fail to notice the wide spread condemnation of the October 7th attacks. "The only bad thing", indeed, the loss of life etc is not a bad thing at all! :o . BTW --- Government House is not where parliament sits.

I know parliament doesn't sit at government house, maybe that's why the blockade and the resulting tear gas was at parliament. Read the thread sweety then come in and try again

Men in black are not all armed PAD guards. Unless I see other proves, I take it say a 3rd party group trying to use the situation and rob a bus, while the blame goes to PAD.

I have no doubt there are some set ups to implicate the PAD. However, I dont think every case of them doing something wrong is a set up. They are quite capable of a bit of violence and intimidation and criminality.

The PAD is an Alliance of very different groups, you have there as well southern Ex-Communist fighter and southern Anti-Communist paramilitary.

They don't all agree with Chamlongs peaceful ideas. As longer it lasts, as more groups like Sae Daeng and such get out of control.

Thats the way a civil war starts....In my idea the best would be a military coup and a temporary government which tells both groups to go home. The population is ready to support any government which is not complete corrupt.

No doubt some will say it is justified. As I have said many times today, they are criminals, no more, no less

Yes, let's see how pro PAD posters will justify that...

LOL .. yeah :o read the whole tread Werbs --- and yes we all noticed you skipping over "The only bad thing". I assume where you come from there is no history of civil disobedience? It is clear that you don't understand what it at play here in Thailand!